Welcome To Icy Phoenix
- What is Icy Phoenix?
- Icy Phoenix is a CMS based on phpBB (a fully scalable and highly customisable open-source Bulletin Board package PHP based) plus many modifications and code integrations which add flexibility to the whole package. The official home page for phpBB is www.phpbb.com. Icy Phoenix has some features originally developed for phpBB XS Project which has been founded by Bicet and then developed by both Bicet and Mighty Gorgon. Icy Phoenix has been created by Mighty Gorgon after he left the phpBB XS Project.
- What are the main features of Icy Phoenix?
Icy Phoenix has many features, most of them are listed in the Features Page and in the Credits Page. The main ones are:
- phpBB bulletin board and permission system
- CMS features allowing the creation of new pages and blocks
- Overall template integration among all site sections
- Many ready to use features: Photo Gallery, Downloads, Knowledge Base, Links, Chat...
- Multi-language and multi-template ready
- Almost 100% XHTML and CSS W3C compliant
- ...and many others...
- Is Icy Phoenix supported for bugs, security issues, improvements?
- Icy Phoenix is an open source project. As like many open source projects it is developed by people using their free time. At the moment there are several persons in the staff willing to help and to contribute to this project. We hope the community will continue to grow and be able to provide all the necessary support to all the users who may need help.
- Is Icy Phoenix easy to install and upgrade from other platforms?
- Icy Phoenix has its own setup procedure which guides the user through the steps of the setup process. An upgrading file is provided to upgrade the package from standard phpBB and phpBB XS. Hopefully an upgrade procedure from any other platform will be written in the future: at the moment the only way to upgrade from another platform is by downgrading to phpBB and then run the provided upgrade procedure.
- Does Icy Phoenix have many templates?
- Yes, at the moment there are some free templates (some of them with multicolour variations) and we are working to create new ones. If you are interested in new templates you should regularly check the support forum and Styles Section.
- Is Icy Phoenix multi-language?
- English is the main language of Icy Phoenix, but it has been translated into other languages (alphabetical order): Arabic, Catalan, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish... and more to come! If you don't find your language listed here, please ask at the support forum, maybe someone else is working on the translation you need and you would be welcome to join the translation team to give your contribution.
- Will Icy Phoenix be upgraded to phpBB 3?
- The matter is quite complex. Even if the starting core was phpBB 2, many phpBB 3 features and core functions have been ported to Icy Phoenix: this means that currently Icy Phoenix is based on a version of phpBB which is an hybrid between phpBB 2 and phpBB 3. The code is highly optimized, it uses cache extensively, you shouldn't miss phpBB 3.
- May I join the Icy Phoenix Project?
- Of course. Icy Phoenix is an open source project, and anyone who is willing to give his own contribution on a stable basis may then apply to join the Team.
Icy Phoenix Features
Icy Phoenix Documentation
Before trying to install Icy Phoenix make sure you have the following STRICTLY NEEDED
- At least 20 MB of free space in the folder you would like to install the package.
- Web server with PHP (5 or higher) installed and running (works best on Linux + Apache).
- MySQL (5 or higher) database with at least 5MB of free space (of course the space needed depends on how big your site will be... 5MB is enough for a basic empty setup).
- Ability to set CHMOD permissions.
These other requirements (even if not strictly needed) are suggested for optimal performance of Icy Phoenix:
- Hosting Services with .htaccess capability.
- Apache Rewrite Mod installed and running.
- GD Libraries (at least 2.0.28) installed and running.
- Register Globals set to OFF.
Please refer to the forum for further informations and support requests.
|DHgate.com is the world's leading B2B online trading marketplace for China wholesale products, serving the world's small and medium sized businesses since 2004. DHgate is backed by investors KPCB, JAFCO and Warburg Pincus helping us make online trade simple.|
|Our personal recommendation: binaryoptionrobotinfo.com is the best binary trading software website which contains everything you want to know about binary options and trading software/apps.|
|In order to ensure that your server is functioning at full capacity, we recommend load testing with LoadView. This can help to identify bottlenecks and also with capacity planning to ensure that your MySQL databases and server can handle the load of your visitors while running Icy Phoenix.|
| Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:55 By Mighty Gorgon
Welcome to this brand new section.
I've decided to open this new forum to offer for free some small applets I usually code in my free time.
I will offer small and stand alone PHP scripts which may be useful for your own sites.
Of course all of you are allowed to share your scripts in this section and ask for support (limited to my free time... and remember that everything is free here!). You may also make some small and limited requests.
The only requirements to post scripts here is that all jobs have to be subject to this license:
GNU Public License
All my scripts here in this section are subject to GNU Public License
I hope you will enjoy this new forum, and you will share your knowledge as well.
| Posted Sat 25 Aug, 2007 14:13 By Mighty Gorgon
Finally CustomIcy goes RC1
Some extra features have been added... Please make some tests and feel free to provide some feedbacks:
Please notice that the Colorize feature is not working for GIFs because of compatibility problems... but you can use the TINT to apply some makeup on GIF buttons... and remember that GIFs images (some elements are GIF unfortunately, but I plan to add only PNG from now on...) have palette optimized so not all the colors may be shown as desired.
I've added just some graphics elements to let you test, I'll add more graphics soon.
If you want to contribute with graphics, feel free to do it, keeping in mind that I would prefer having PNG 24 bit with alpha channel for transparency.
Finally... please provide graphics elements which is free to be distributed or provide an attached file with allows you to distribute them. No copyrighted objects or other author works please (unless you can demonstrate you can
| Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:03 By Mighty Gorgon
I've upgraded the version running on this site with a new version including some new features.
- Color group has been removed and replaced with a new groups system coded by me with some functions backported from phpBB 3.
- Some minor templates improvements (thanks fracs for the new UCP).
- Cash mod integrated and preinstalled in Icy Phoenix, but won't be part of standard installation. It will be possible to enable it in few seconds... like Activity, and like Activity it won't be supported.
- New functions integrated in FAP thanks to Artie and OryNider.
- Some extra bugs fixed.
- Black Pearl template.
I would like to thank all the Staff for the big job in supporting while I was busy with my real life and coding new stuffs.
| Posted Wed 30 May, 2007 12:10 By Mighty Gorgon
Here you will find just few rules for adding/creating customizations for Icy Phoenix.
- The first rule is KIS: Keep It Simple. This means that you should add files in the easiest way for the users to install it. If the mod is few line changes, provide a code changes to the mod installation instructions.
- Premodded package. If the mod you are installing is quite big, you may be tempted to provide a premodded package. In this case please make sure that the premodded package is based on a clean installation.
- PHP and phpBB Skills. Please note that Icy Phoenix code is different in some core files from the phpBB code. This means that you should really pay attention when integrating a mod and doing it properly may require time. Many vars are differently named, and the cache system requires sometimes extra tweaks.
- Security. If a mod is not integrated properly it may leads to a security issue as well. Please submit mods for validations to someone of the Staff or to me before posting them in public fourm.
- Testing. Mods included should be tested on a clean installation. For big modifications, a test site with a test account should be preferred.
That's all for now...
Please note that this not mean that you don't have to contribute with your mods on Icy Phoenix... it simply means that you should consider doing it properly, otherwise some users may have problems with the modifications provided, and in some cases they can hang their sites.
Thank you for your contributions.
| Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 01:28 By Mighty Gorgon
It comes to my attention several Copyright problems, so I've decided to write this post.
First of all I would like to point out that Icy Phoenix is distributed under the GNU GPL
, because it is based on phpBB which is distributed under the same license and requires that all its derived product are released under the same license.
Having said that... I would like to stress that if you choose Icy Phoenix you should at least keep a link to this site and to phpBB on all pages in which you are using this CMS. I can't force you to keep this... but we won't provide support to users which shows sites without proper copyright.
Regarding templates... if someone creates a new template and this is using many graphic elements from another template, then permission to the author should be asked and a link to the original template author should be preserved (unless the author expressely accept you to remove such a link).
I've adapted Morpheus created by CyberAlien under his permission and his copyright is there.
Someone did use some graphics elements created by myself: everyone is welcome to do it, my work is free to be used and distributed, but in these case the original link I provide with my works should be preserved. I don't mind if only few graphics is used, but if you do include a full set of buttons, then my copyright should be there... The same for buttons and graphics created by anyone else, unless the author expressely declares that no copyright is needed.
If you have doubt about what I've posted here, feel free to ask me privately.
Some example of modified copyright you may use for templates:
Design by Mighty Gorgon modified by XXX
Design by by XXX
based on XXX by Mighty Gorgon
Design by XXX - Some graphics by Mighty Gorgon
I think you got my point...
Thank you for your cooperation.
If you find here in Icy Phoenix something that is missing credit where credit is due, please contact me.
| Posted Sun 20 May, 2007 13:02 By Mighty Gorgon
After more than 9 months of development I'm proud to announce the first official release of Icy Phoenix.
As most of you already know, I left phpBB XS
project because I didn't like something of the guidelines and I've decided to create this new package starting from phpBB XS
. So many things have been changed since then, and almost all the files have been modified. Only few third party mods have been added, while all the previous features have been refreshed and integrated in a different way respect to phpBB XS
. I've personally written many lines of brand new code while trying to give the package its own identity. The result is that Icy Phoenix is something more than just a premodded: files structure has been redesigned, overall CMS and blocks features let users customize existing pages as well as new pages, extended caching system to speed up sites navigation, more...
The major advantages of Icy Phoenix are:
- CMS management
- phpBB permissions system and forum
- Several integrated features to build a complete website
- Many options in ACP to switch features and customize the site
- Overall templates, language and caching system
- Almost 100% XHTML 1.0 W3C compliant
- Open Source
Some disadvantages are:
- Generates more CPU charge, memory usage and bandwidth than standard phpBB (this is the price to pay for having extra features)
- If you want to add some mods created for phpBB you should know that this will require some extra work in Icy Phoenix, because of its different structure
- Created by non-professionals, and this means that the package could have some bugs and the support may be delayed because provided by people who are sacrifying their free time for it
During these months of development I've been helped a lot by all the Staff, both in supporting here and in beta testing... a big thanks to all the Staff.
A big thank you is for Bicet as well. Even if some divergencies pushed me to leave the project we developed together for more than one year, I really have to thank him for all the work we did together and for having started such a good project like phpBB XS
was. I hope he'll find some free time in the future allowing him to code again.
This brand new release is almost similar to latest RC: as promised only few changes have been applied just to fix the bugs being found.
As usual, no code changes will be released, and won't probably be released for any version in the future. This is because the package is quite huge and writing code changes requires much time: as I already said in the past, I prefer to focus my free time on developing the package instead of writing huge code changes that could be difficult to be applied. Trust me, in most cases it is quicker to replace old files with new ones and reapply eventually added mods (you should take note of the mods you have applied). My efforts will be dedicated to the upgrade procedures to allow you to upgrade your sites with the smallest unexpected issues.
Another little note about phpBB 3. As many of you know, phpBB 3 is going to be released. Icy Phoenix won't be updated to phpBB 3 for many reasons: features compatibility, templates system, CMS, more... If you need just a forum, maybe it is worth waiting phpBB 3 to be released and install it. I may consider to create a new package relying on phpBB 3 in the future, but it is not guaranteed that it will happen. Please, when phpBB 3 will be out do not ask for conversion or upgrades of something... you have been warned.
Finally about MG
Themes: Winter, Spring and Summer won't be released until I'll find the time to fix a bug for the rounding corners script. Please don't ask for them... you have some new themes with this release, and you'll have much more in the future.
You may also refer to this file for all these info:
And finally here is the download link:
Should you ask for support, please remember that this is an open source community and me and all the Staff are doing all for free and in their spare time... be kind, be patient and respect other users efforts and hard work.
Icy Phoenix 126.96.36.199f
Package Name: Icy Phoenix
Package Version: 188.8.131.52f
Release Spot: Praising all is like praising none.
DOWNLOAD: Icy Phoenix 184.108.40.206f
Enjoy Icy Phoenix!
| Posted Sun 06 May, 2007 17:07 By Mighty Gorgon
I'm proud to announce the third Release Candidate of Icy Phoenix (the second one was a private release).
What's new in respect to latest RC.
- Some templates fixes for W3C compliance.
- Reduced the SQL charge on all the pages and improved the caching system.
- Overall code cleaning and optimization.
- Some changes in how some mods where integrated: optimized the inclusions and cached what could be cached.
- Extra constants definitions.
- Added a new CSS for mg_themes.
- Wrong caching in some pages.
- Many small bugs.
As the other RC this package should be quite stable since it's running here and in some other sites without major issues.
I was planning to relase the final version this week, but I had some problems with the new caching functions not working as expected, and I need extra time to be sure that all is working fine. Plus I'll be away few days in the next two weeks, so I couldn't be present here to support in case of big boos being found.
This explains why I prefer to release another RC: you can test it and eventually report what's wrong so I can try to fix things before going final and have a more stable and reliable platform. I know I said this the last time as well... but now the package is almost in its definitive version. I hope no big changes should be applied in the final release.
Regarding some minor things, I've decided not to release the old MG
I'm saying this to avoid users' requests when the final release will be out. I'm trying to do my best, and since I'm having small free times for unexpected things overcome I prefer to focus on performances, which is (in my opinion) the best thing to take care in this stage.
I won't promise a release date... but if no more big bugs will be found, as soon as I'll be back from my trips (after the 24th of May) I'll release the final version.
You may also refer to this file for all these info:
And finally here is the download link:
During the Release Candidate testing, we will try to do our best to support this package. Should you ask for support, please consider that this is an open source community and me and all the Staff are doing all for free and in their spare time... be kind, be patient and respect other users efforts and hard work.
Icy Phoenix 220.127.116.11 Release Candidate 3
Package Name: Icy Phoenix
Package Version: 18.104.22.168 RC3
Release Spot: Cache... what your wife and IP is relying on!!!
DOWNLOAD: Icy Phoenix 22.214.171.124 RC3
Enjoy Icy Phoenix!
• Fri 28 Apr, 2017 23:17 »
General Support » Icy Phoenix Is Viable Currently? »
• Thu 23 Feb, 2017 09:32 »
English Chit Chat » 2016 -> 2017 »
• Thu 23 Feb, 2017 09:27 »
General Support » Yet Another BBCode Question.. This Time In A PM »
• Thu 23 Feb, 2017 09:24 »
General Support » Links No Work For Guest/Members »
• Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:27 »
Old Support Topics » SEO Problems »
• Tue 07 Feb, 2017 22:36 »
News And Announcements » CustomIcy »
• Tue 07 Feb, 2017 22:33 »
General Support » Bug With Mysql 5.7 »
• Tue 07 Feb, 2017 02:51 »
News And Announcements » phpBB 3 To Icy Phoenix Conversion Tool »
• Tue 24 Jan, 2017 22:17 »
General Support » Facebook Login »
• Tue 17 Jan, 2017 00:39 »
General Support » Group Colors On Index »