Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Copyright 

Hi all.

It comes to my attention several Copyright problems, so I've decided to write this post.

First of all I would like to point out that Icy Phoenix is distributed under the GNU GPL, because it is based on phpBB which is distributed under the same license and requires that all its derived product are released under the same license.

Having said that... I would like to stress that if you choose Icy Phoenix you should at least keep a link to this site and to phpBB on all pages in which you are using this CMS. I can't force you to keep this... but we won't provide support to users which shows sites without proper copyright.

Regarding templates... if someone creates a new template and this is using many graphic elements from another template, then permission to the author should be asked and a link to the original template author should be preserved (unless the author expressely accept you to remove such a link).

For example...

I've adapted Morpheus created by CyberAlien under his permission and his copyright is there.

Someone did use some graphics elements created by myself: everyone is welcome to do it, my work is free to be used and distributed, but in these case the original link I provide with my works should be preserved. I don't mind if only few graphics is used, but if you do include a full set of buttons, then my copyright should be there... The same for buttons and graphics created by anyone else, unless the author expressely declares that no copyright is needed.

If you have doubt about what I've posted here, feel free to ask me privately.

Some example of modified copyright you may use for templates:
Quote:
Design by Mighty Gorgon modified by XXX

Quote:
Design by by XXX
based on XXX by Mighty Gorgon

Quote:
Design by XXX - Some graphics by Mighty Gorgon

I think you got my point...

Thank you for your cooperation.
Luca

If you find here in Icy Phoenix something that is missing credit where credit is due, please contact me.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Copyright 

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Hi all.

It comes to my attention several Copyright problems, so I've decided to write this post.

First of all I would like to point out that Icy Phoenix is distributed under the GNU GPL, because it is based on phpBB which is distributed under the same license and requires that all its derived product are released under the same license.

Having said that... I would like to stress that if you choose Icy Phoenix you should at least keep a link to this site and to phpBB on all pages in which you are using this CMS. I can't force you to keep this... but we won't provide support to users which shows sites without proper copyright.

Regarding templates... if someone creates a new template and this is using many graphic elements from another template, then permission to the author should be asked and a link to the original template author should be preserved (unless the author expressely accept you to remove such a link).

For example...

I've adapted Morpheus created by CyberAlien under his permission and his copyright is there.

Someone did use some graphics elements created by myself: everyone is welcome to do it, my work is free to be used and distributed, but in these case the original link I provide with my works should be preserved. I don't mind if only few graphics is used, but if you do include a full set of buttons, then my copyright should be there... The same for buttons and graphics created by anyone else, unless the author expressely declares that no copyright is needed.

If you have doubt about what I've posted here, feel free to ask me privately.

Some example of modified copyright you may use for templates:
Quote:
Design by Mighty Gorgon modified by XXX

Quote:
Design by by XXX
based on XXX by Mighty Gorgon

Quote:
Design by XXX - Some graphics by Mighty Gorgon

I think you got my point...

Thank you for your cooperation.
Luca

If you find here in Icy Phoenix something that is missing credit where credit is due, please contact me.

Hi

A great post and indeed it does ned to be stated as I know from experiance mny people will remove copyright in the believe that the can get away with it...

They forget all the hard work and sweat that went into making a script in the first place...

DWhoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I think that anytime a designer makes a theme, 99% of the time he will be making it from another template. Wether it is subsilver or acidtech it will be created from something. 99% of themes that are new came from something else, most of the time it is from a template the user liked in the first place, then started editing.

I bet 9 out of 10 themes out right now all came from subsilver to begin with, then someone made a theme off of that, then someone else made something from that etc etc.

I always choose subsilver to use as a base because it is permitted to do so without asking any questions. It is supplied as a base template right in the package. I always leave "Originally subSilver" in the copyright, but I don't believe you have to.

As far as copying another's style, even if you change it completely, you should remember where it came from. If someone uses one of my styles and changes it completely with new colors, graphics, code, buttons etc, it is no longer my style and no copyright would be required. However, if you use any of the same images you should leave the copyright notice, and if there is a copyright notice on the footer, that should remain intact as well.

Nobody can stop you from changing their styles or removing their copyright, but eventually they will see it and coming from experience it sucks when you see your style on another person's site, with them claiming they made it, even if you contact them, they deny it and ban you. There is nothing worse than that disrespect. Like someone said above, it takes a while to perfect a theme, and even longer doing the graphics. Do what you will with the style but have the courtesy to give them credit.

If you are reading this post, or this topic, chances are you are a designer or becoming one. You won't get very far by stealing or disrespecting anyone. You make a name for yourself, and ruining that name will cost you everything.

Just do to other designers, what you want done to you

The point of this is, be creative! If you have to use someone else's theme, then do it and have fun with it, learn from it. It flatters us even if it's not the same anymore because you chose ours, and in some way our work made a difference to someone.

FrostSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I totally agree Frost.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Say if I changed the color of a button does that still require me to have credit to who made the style?

My thing currently says