Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Icy Phoenix Goes SVN 

This topic is now outdated, you can refer to this new one:

Icy Phoenix Project Moved To GIT Only

________

Hi all,
I have decided to move Icy Phoenix to SVN to have a better control on the code and to provide to all that are interested a way to better follow this project.

A quick introduction on what SVN (Subversion) is:
Quote:
Subversion is a free/open-source version control system. That is, Subversion manages files and directories, and the changes made to them, over time. This allows you to recover older versions of your data, or examine the history of how your data changed. In this regard, many people think of a version control system as a sort of "time machine".

In a nutshell SVN allows developers to automatically keep track of all the changes to the package, and allows all interested users to follow the project by a different point of view.

Most of you won't be interested in SVN because it requires some skills and time do dedicate on it, but for the few of you which are interested in the development phase this will be a great opportunity to be an active part in this project.

If you want to be just a normal end user of Icy Phoenix you may stop reading this announce here, as what it follows requires some technical skills and time to be spent on this project.

I will try to give you a quick overview on how Icy Phoenix Project will be managed from now on (remember that things may change :-P)

Until last week I used to code on my own PC making daily backups and keeping all old files archived on several backup locations. Few months ago hpl joined Icy Phoenix Development Team, and started to code new things for the project. Of course some things changed for me: I needed to keep hpl updated with all the new files and decisions about the project. This is of course time consuming... and something it is frustrating to merge the files which have been modified by both of us...

This is why I decided to switch to a system which offers a better "communication" method between developers.

I have started a new project @ Assembla.com

Icy Phoenix @ Assembla

I have set up an SVN Repository that is always updated with the latest version of the files, so we can automatically download the latest version and update our local working copy.

Not only... I have decided to leave this repository open to the public, which means that everyone that is interested may now download the latest available Icy Phoenix code and test it.

A Disclaimer is needed...
Please note that this doesn't mean that these files are there to be used or that new release will be released through SVN!

All the files in the Icy Phoenix SVN Repository are meant for developing purpose, so if you decide to use files in the Repository you do it at your own risk.

Official release will be ONLY published on this site and you should use for Live environments ONLY the latest available version in the Download section of this site.

Now that you have understood what SVN is, here is the Icy Phoenix SVN Repository:
Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
http://svn.assembla.com/svn/icy_phoenix
http://svn.assembla.com/svn/icyphoenix_langs

Some FAQs:
  • What is SVN?
    Subversion is a free/open-source version control system. That is, Subversion manages files and directories, and the changes made to them, over time. This allows you to recover older versions of your data, or examine the history of how your data changed. In this regard, many people think of a version control system as a sort of "time machine".

Further informations can be found here: Subversion Book

Other useful links:
    Subversion: Introduction
    Subversion: Advanced

• How can I access to the Repository and keeping it up to date in my own PC?
    There are some software for doing that... and software depends on the OS you are using.
    I personally use Windows based OS and I use TortoiseSVN as a client.
    You will find the documentation to this tool here: Tortoise SVN Documentation

• Why should I be interested in Icy Phoenix SVN?
    You don't necessarily have to. Icy Phoenix is an open source project, and like all open source projects benefit by its own users contributions. Contributions may consists in:
    1. Helping in the development.
    2. Helping in finding bugs.
    3. Providing localizations.
    4. Providing customizations (both code and design).
    5. Helping in supporting the community.
    6. Making Donations.

Bullets from 1 to 4 all will benefit with SVN, because having access to the whole development code of a project gives a great overview and help in developing, finding bugs, localizing (this is great when near release date), customizing/designing. Even point 5 may benefit from SVN: a good supporter will help developers and users to keep track of new features and bug fixing via SVN history.

• I have seen new features in this site, will I find them in SVN?
    If the features you are referring to are strictly related to Icy Phoenix per se, then yes, you will find in the SVN all the features of this site and probably some others which may not be reflected yet in this site. As I pointed out some lines above... if you decide to use the code in the SVN you do it on your own risk.

• Can I be an active part in Icy Phoenix development?
    Of course the answer is yes. If you have good PHP, CSS, HTML skills just start studying the package and try to actively participate to this community. After a period of "training" if you feel comfortable with the project and you think you can do more for it, then try to contact me and we will discuss about it. If you are not familiar with PHP, CSS and HTML, do not desperate, we still need you: a good project is not only made by coder. It is really important to find people with good attitude in Team Working to keep the community alive: providing support, writing documentation, creating customizations, designing styles, providing translations and so on. If you have time to dedicate to this project, then we will find a place for you in the Staff.

• How can I start using this SVN then?
    Here are some few basic steps for TortoiseSVN for Windows (steps should be similar for other programs installed in other OS):
    • Download and install TortoiseSVN
    • Create a folder on your hard disk where you want to download Icy Phoenix Project
    • Right click on that folder and choose SVN Checkout
    • When asked insert the Icy Phoenix SVN Repository address and click ok:
      Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
      http://svn.assembla.com/svn/icy_phoenix

• After few minutes you will have all the Icy Phoenix Projects in your folder (remember that the last available version is in ip/trunk)
    • For any other help, please refer to the manual: Tortoise SVN Documentation

That's all for now.

Thanks for reading.

Luca Libralato

Edited by Mighty Gorgon, Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:30: Added SVN path for languages
Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Icy Phoenix Goes SVN 

Great news!   

@MG: Another thing we could do is to have a back-up icy phoenix download platform at sourceforge, just in case users have low DL speeds or other issues. If you want more info, contact me trought PM, I do not want to overload the board...

novice programmerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks.

I'm waiting the SourceForge team to approve ownership changing for Icy Phoenix project.

Back to topPage bottom

Who owns icy phoenix at sourceforge?

Back to topPage bottom

Please don't go off topic here...

Go to SourceForge and check.

Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

Ok, I will try not to go into ot.

Sorry, I was asking because the page did not load....

There are so many icy phoenix project groups around there.    Is sourceforge about to drop all of them?

Back to topPage bottom

novice programmer wrote: [View Post]
Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

Ok, I will try not to go into ot.

Sorry, I was asking because the page did not load....

There are so many icy phoenix project groups around there.    Is sourceforge about to drop all of them?

i think u need to register first

then u have a link in MG-s post

then click on Team and u will see in header "watcher"  also clic on it

affter that u will see yourself here

smf

LimunSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

You are talking about different things... Assembla and SourceForge are different sites.

In any case you don't need to register to use SVN, you need to register to Assembla only if you want to actively participate to the project.

Currently I will use only SVN from that site, I don't know if I will use other features as messaging, ticketing or WIKI...

Back to topPage bottom

Very nice SVN luca, i'll explore it a bit

ZukerSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I think it would not be bad to include also some of the starting releases at the SVN rep, perhaps the initial XS and the initial Icy Phoenix, just to let users compare. I have seen some of them at the private sections....

As said on the discriminlacer:

All the files in the Icy Phoenix SVN Repository are meant for developing purpose, so if you decide to use files in the Repository you do it at your own risk.

So users that want to compare with the starting versions of Icy and XS could have a room to take those files.

PS: Since Phpbb2 is going to be removed I think we should add a copy of the latest phpbb2 package so users could downgrade Icy and upgrade to phpbb3 if they want to

Back to topPage bottom

I may be an  Orphan, but I fail to see why Icy Phoenix should supply a down grade avenue so that people can upgrade to phpBB3.

I don't know what the association with IP and the phpBB teams are, but it should be up to phpBB to supply a Conversion MOD to change any other forum software to their system.

Back to topPage bottom

Great news, this is a big step ahead for IP and, surely, another great challenge that the Mighty Phoenix will win!!

User #379756 on Linux Counter
"If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist!!"

buldoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

i have 2,3 questions  

1. is this same ?

svn02

2. when i click "update" does svn delete files in my folder compared to your changes?

LimunSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Only 1 word: spectacular!

Thanks Luca for this feature: I recommend to all to use this system to support this project!

andrea75Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

novice programmer wrote: [View Post]
I think it would not be bad to include also some of the starting releases at the SVN rep, perhaps the initial XS and the initial Icy Phoenix, just to let users compare. I have seen some of them at the private sections....

As said on the discriminlacer:

So users that want to compare with the starting versions of Icy and XS could have a room to take those files.

PS: Since Phpbb2 is going to be removed I think we should add a copy of the latest phpbb2 package so users could downgrade Icy and upgrade to phpbb3 if they want to

I won't add neither XS nor phpBB. phpBB XS is not secure at all... while phpBB it's not my project...

Limun wrote: [View Post]
i have 2,3 questions  

1. is this same ?

2. when i click "update" does svn delete files in my folder compared to your changes?

1. Is the same...
2. Yes, if I remove files also files from your copy will be removed...

andrea75 wrote: [View Post]
Only 1 word: spectacular!

Thanks Luca for this feature: I recommend to all to use this system to support this project!

When someone interested to the project will understands what SVN is and how it works, then I guess it will like it very much...

Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List