Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Icy Phoenix 1.3.11.64 

Hi all,
I'm proud to announce that the website has been updated to the latest dev package of Icy Phoenix (version 1.3.11.64).

I'm sure there are many bugs and glitches due to the DB conversion to UTF-8, please if you find something wrong let me know either by answering here or via PM.

There are also some new features, but I'll explain in another topic as soon as I'm sure that everything else is working fine.

Thank you very much.

Luca

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Icy Phoenix 1.3.11.64 

Great news, the biggest part of site looks right :).

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Congratulations MG  

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Congrats MG.

well and quick done  

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

it looks/feels fast as lightning BTW  

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks you MG.

It is my impression or this version is very fast?

portalpezSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Theoretically it should be at least 40% faster than latest stable release.

I have worked a lot on re-engineer the core code, if no big bugs are found in the common part of the code, I think that I won't change it until next release.

Back to topPage bottom

Wow.. So Will there be a new IP release soon?

Thanks for your work!!!

DanielcSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

found something.

in the menu, the (new Boton) , in portal it does´nt show the number of new posts, and if you click on new, either.

In forum it´s alright

forum forum

new new

portal  portal

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Danielc wrote: [View Post]
Wow.. So Will there be a new IP release soon?

New IP release => YES
SOON => NO

I'm quite satisfied with the core code (cache, db, style, common files and functions) but there are still some things to be finished and improved:
  • CMS: basic features designed, but not coded, all style part to be recoded
  • PLUGINS: basic functions coded, maybe some hooks are needed not necessary, we still need to move a couple of basic IP features to plugins, so to reduce basic package size and increase stability
  • PERMISSIONS SYSTEM: still wondering if we need to improve it or not, a new system has been introduced, but it is just used in a private package for debugging purpose

Of course other minor things are planned, but these three are the major I'm focus on.

spydie wrote: [View Post]
found something.

in the menu, the (new Boton) , in portal it does´nt show the number of new posts, and if you click on new, either.

In forum it´s alright

Hawk eye!

That is not a bug, is a feature!

I have removed the number of new messages in non relevant sections to save one SQL. I know someone will not agree... but we need a trade off between performances and features.

Back to topPage bottom

Has the styles changed a lot? I'm interested in make my own style for my site, but i don't know if i would do better waiting for the next release.
Also, i have other suggestions related to the performance (yes, a few more XD) that i have done in my site. The first is use minify to compress an merge the CSS files and JS files (had i said it before?). The second is related to posted_img_thumbnails.php (or bbcode.php). It would be better if it checks if the image is local and if its width and height are lesser than the max image size (that you can set up in ACP). In this case, there's no need to generate a thumbnail copying this file to the thumbnail path. It's better if you just link the original image path instead of linking the thumbnail path and also the original image path. This could be done with a few lines in bbcode.php and i think it increases a bit the performance.

FIND:
Code: [Download] [Hide]
  1. if (strpos($pic_id, $users_images_path) !== false) 
  2.     $user_dir = str_replace($pic_filename, '', str_replace($users_images_path, '', $pic_id)); 
  3.     $pic_thumbnail = $pic_filename; 

AFTER ADD:
  1.          $image_size = @getimagesize($img_url); 
  2.      if($image_size[0] <= $board_config['thumbnail_size'] && $image_size[1] <=$board_config['thumbnail_size']) 
  3.      { 
  4.         $thumb_exists = true; 
  5.      } 

Also, i haven't done this in my site, but it would be good if we add the width and height params to all images in the site. I don't know if this could increase drastically the memory usage or CPU usage, but if not, this could optimize the site.

Thanks for your work!!!!

Back to topPage bottom

Will language packs work with the new version?

zsolti10Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Has the styles changed a lot? I'm interested in make my own style for my site, but i don't know if i would do better waiting for the next release.

It should not be changed a lot... but if you want to realize all the changes you should try to compare templates with WinMerge.

Also, i have other suggestions related to the performance (yes, a few more XD) that i have done in my site. The first is use minify to compress an merge the CSS files and JS files (had i said it before?).

I won't do it by default, I have coded some script for doing that automatically, but then I have decided to not implement it as default option. If I have enough time I will code a switch.

Anyway in my opinion it is not crucial... you can do it for your site just once and you are ok until next CSS change.

The second is related to posted_img_thumbnails.php (or bbcode.php). It would be better if it checks if the image is local and if its width and height are lesser than the max image size (that you can set up in ACP). In this case, there's no need to generate a thumbnail copying this file to the thumbnail path. It's better if you just link the original image path instead of linking the thumbnail path and also the original image path. This could be done with a few lines in bbcode.php and i think it increases a bit the performance.

FIND:
  1. if (strpos($pic_id, $users_images_path) !== false) 
  2.     $user_dir = str_replace($pic_filename, '', str_replace($users_images_path, '', $pic_id)); 
  3.     $pic_thumbnail = $pic_filename; 

AFTER ADD:
  1.          $image_size = @getimagesize($img_url); 
  2.      if($image_size[0] <= $board_config['thumbnail_size'] && $image_size[1] <=$board_config['thumbnail_size']) 
  3.      { 
  4.         $thumb_exists = true; 
  5.      } 

I wonder why you take the time to look which part of the code generates the thumbnail but you didn't read all the code in that section.

Do you know what this part of code means?

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
                        if(file_exists($pic_thumbnail_fullpath))
                        {
                            $thumb_exists = true;
                            $params['src'] = $server_url . str_replace(IP_ROOT_PATH, '', $pic_thumbnail_fullpath);
                        }

And what this part of code in image_thumbnail.php is for?
Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
if(($pic_width < $config['thumbnail_size']) && ($pic_height < $config['thumbnail_size']))
{
    if($config['thumbnail_cache'] == true)
    {
        $copy_success = @copy($pic_fullpath, $pic_thumbnail_fullpath);
        @chmod($pic_thumbnail_fullpath, 0777);
    }

I think it is quite self explaining... and this code is there also in 1.3.

Also, i haven't done this in my site, but it would be good if we add the width and height params to all images in the site. I don't know if this could increase drastically the memory usage or CPU usage, but if not, this could optimize the site.

If images are not stored to DB there is no easy way to add width and height without reading image properties. If you force the system to determine width and height you are charging server CPU for that. I prefer charging client CPU instead of server one.

One of the other things in to do list is adding all posted images in a DB table. I'm still thinking about this option, because it has to be coded properly.

zsolti10 wrote: [View Post]
Will language packs work with the new version?

Old language packs won't work in new version. Changes should not be too much... even in this case WinMerge could help.

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for your reply.
Related to templates, i will do that when i finish the design and start with the coding.

Related to CSS and JS merging,ok, no problem, if you include that switch, better for me as i don't have to modify my files .

Related to the thumbnails.. Really i had seen all the parts you mentioned, but no one worked for my request:

1. if(file_exists($pic_thumbnail_fullpath)) 
  2.                         { 
  3.                             $thumb_exists = true; 
  4.                             $params['src'] = $server_url . str_replace(IP_ROOT_PATH, '', $pic_thumbnail_fullpath); 
  5.                         } 

This code checks if the thumbnail exists, and in this case, it changes the image source to the thumbnail. My idea is use the same image URL (not thumbnail) if the width and height are lesser than the max size and the image is hosted in my site, so you don't use TWO links for the same content (thumbnail and original image). As $params['src'] has the original URL as value, i don't need to set that. First i tried to modify $pic_thumbnail_fullpath but it didn't worked (i don't know why, i think it was coded correctly). I set $thumb_exists to true because if i wouldn't do that, in the following code, Icy Phoenix it would change the image source to image_thumbnail.php (with the image as param):
  1. if (($thumb_exists == false) || ($cache_image == false)) 
  2.                 { 
  3.                     $params['src'] = 'posted_img_thumbnail.' . PHP_EXT . '?' . $cache_append . 'pic_id=' . $img_url_enc; 
  4.                 } 

Also, before modify bbcode.php, i took a look at image_thumbnail.php and i saw the code you mentioned:

1. if(($pic_width < $config['thumbnail_size']) && ($pic_height < $config['thumbnail_size'])) 
  2.     if($config['thumbnail_cache'] == true) 
  3.     { 
  4.         $copy_success = @copy($pic_fullpath, $pic_thumbnail_fullpath); 
  5.         @chmod($pic_thumbnail_fullpath, 0777); 
  6.     } 

First, i noticed an error there, i think it must check if pic_width and pic_height are lesser or equal to the thumbnail size, so i replaced
  1. if(($pic_width < $config['thumbnail_size']) && ($pic_height < $config['thumbnail_size'])) 

to:
  1. if(($pic_width <= $board_config['thumbnail_size']) && ($pic_height <= $board_config['thumbnail_size'])) 

After, i started to modify this code, so it doesn't copy the same image as thumbnail. I replaced:
  1. $copy_success = @copy($pic_fullpath, $pic_thumbnail_fullpath); 
  2.             @chmod($pic_thumbnail_fullpath, 0777); 

to:
  1. if($pic_local == true) 
  2.         { 
  3.             $pic_thumbnail_fullpath = $pic_fullpath; 
  4.         }else { 
  5.             $copy_success = @copy($pic_fullpath, $pic_thumbnail_fullpath); 
  6.             @chmod($pic_thumbnail_fullpath, 0777); 
  7.         } 
Then i tested, but fail!. The forum still used two urls for the same url (my idea is use consistent url's for the same content), so i modify bbcode.php as i said before.

I hope you understand my idea and why i modified it.

Thanks!

Back to topPage bottom

Nice

Also my website was updated to this version to find more bugs and help in the development. It is really fast (I noticed the change on my site, and I use a lot of resources-consuming IP features).

I'll be helping in all I can

KasLimonSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List