Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post IP To XS 

OK this is XS, but I'll be doing something similar for IP soon. The motivation is to create a more modern and less "bulky" layout, in particular avoid blocky table outlines and images as much as possible, and of course, fixed width pages are back en vogue.

http://www.icps2007.org/icps2007/index.php

moreteavicarSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: IP To XS 

Very interesting, is a design less "bulk" and very fast loaded

Nice work

ThE KuKaSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

good work moreteavicar

sometimes less is more

Play Games at GamesCampus!

KugeLSichASend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Looks nice moreteavicar,

a love simple styles  

TheSteffenSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks! Hopefully now that MG has stopped changing everything in IP, I can port/improve this for IP

Back to topPage bottom

moreteavicar wrote: [View Post]
Thanks! Hopefully now that MG has stopped changing everything in IP, I can port/improve this for IP

Yes I have stopped for now.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

Yes I have stopped for now.
No... I refuse to believe it... IP 1.2 seems to be working fine without any bugs... which means there simply aren't enough features in it yet...;)

Back to topPage bottom

No... I refuse to believe it... IP 1.2 seems to be working fine without any bugs... which means there simply aren't enough features in it yet...;)

You're right... that's why I have just released a patch...

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

OK this is XS, but I'll be doing something similar for IP soon. The motivation is to create a more modern and less "bulky" layout, in particular avoid blocky table outlines and images as much as possible, and of course, fixed width pages are back en vogue.

http://www.icps2007.org/icps2007/index.php

Kinda what I meant in the poll topic about styles. Nice work!

VortexSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Nice Theme, Nice Idea!  

But I disagree with the "Fixed Width" because there is far too much white-space on either side at higher resolutions.

Lap-tops and the larger monitors are gonna hate ya!  j/k

Why not set the width in the header to 85 or 90% etc? The rest of the theme should follow suit, if you haven't got hard-coded fixed-width's throughout the rest of the templates.

Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]
Nice Theme, Nice Idea!  

But I disagree with the "Fixed Width" because there is far too much white-space on either side at higher resolutions.

Lap-tops and the larger monitors are gonna hate ya! j/k

I think it's only a matter of choices and personal tastes. I have a 22'' monitor at 1650 so I can understand what you mean but as moreteavicar said, "it's back en vogue", and he's right: if you look at all those blogs out there, they are annoyingly tight, but people use it.

Anyway we have to consider that the 3 column portal page (that I think is the most used) maybe wouldn't fit good in a so small width.

VortexSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Vortex wrote: [View Post]

I think it's only a matter of choices and personal tastes.

I disagree, it should be a flexible option that the Webmaster can alter for the width of the presentation.  

If you look at all those blogs out there, they are annoyingly tight, but people use it.

Yep! I would too, if I didn't have a choice. But then again, I may NOT use it for that very reason.

Back to topPage bottom

Kinda what I meant in the poll topic about styles. Nice work!

Thanks (Didn't see the poll though!)

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]

I disagree, it should be a flexible option that the Webmaster can alter for the width of the presentation.

True, people should have that option, so if you don't like the theme, you don't have to install it  
Actually, I have already been thinking of including a page width variable if I ever get round to making the theme for Icy - but fixed width in itself looks more professional IMHO. 3 column layout also not so good as it over-clutters the display (again thats something which makes a page look less professional). This might be considered "personal preference", but its the personal preference of the majority of webmasters and their site visitors. I even ran polls for my members to help determine the direction to take in developing the theme. Its not perfect, I know that... But its a golden rule of everything - simplicity is beauty - so the less clutter on screen, the better. And not everybody really cares who the top posters are, or latest topics etc... on a home page... especially if your site is more than just a forum... which ultimately is the idea of IMportal / CMS feature. Therefore I want to create themes which make it look like a website, not just a modded forum.

BTW I use a 21" (1600 x 1200 res) monitor, big enough, and I don't want my browser window to occupy too much space, principally because I do a lot of other work and just use a browser to look up refs. Knowing that a lot of people who work in front of a computer do similar things, especially the kind of people (physics students) who use/visit my site, I don't know why thats a problem. And yes I also use a laptop, and don't see why having fixed width is a problem if its width is sufficiently below the standard laptop resolution 1024x768. Indeed, I believe having such constraints forces web designers into designing less cluttered layouts that display better on laptops (indeed most of the people that use / create bloggers work mostly from... laptops!). But thanks for your comments though, I'll weigh up the options...

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List