Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Five Icy Phoenix Forums And Counting 

OK, when I discovered Icy Phoenix, I must say I was impressed. So much so, that I converted all of my phpBB forums and still have two more to convert, but I will be converting them from SMF, so we will see how that goes.

These are my forums. Some of them are very new and at least one is for the use a a small town where I live, so there aren't many members there yet.

A political site dedicated to defending freedom in the USA and exposing government fraud. http://afreecountry.com/forum/index.php

Another political site dedicated to stopping illegal immigration into the USA. http://mexicansgohome.com/index.php

This site is a site for insurance adjusters to help each other in the field. http://adjustersonly.net/phpBB2/index.php

This site is for the discussion of concealed carry weapons. Note I have IP in the root directory here. http://concealedpistol.org/index.php

This last site doesn't have much on the site itself, but still has an IP forum. http://haynesville.org/community/index.php Since I don't have much on the site, I would like to move the forum up to the root directory and replace the pages that are through IP's CMS. Since it is a small not-much-viewed site yet. I think I can pull it off. The only problem is, I tried to rename the root directory one of my other forums was located in from phpBB2 to forum and I got an error message that the index.php could not be found. So if anyone know how to change the path in the database so I can move up a directory or rename the root directory, it would be a big help.

I have two more forums to convert. Obviously I think Icy Phoenix is the best thing since sliced bread.    Yeah, my grandpa used to say that. I guess slicing your own bread was difficult back then.  

I am open to suggestions on any of these sites. If anyone is interested in joining, but think there should be another category or forum, let me know. After all, Internet communities are communities without members.  

Last edited by flabbergasted on Wed 26 Mar, 2008 14:42; edited 2 times in total 
flabbergastedSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Five Icy Phoenix Forums And Counting 

flabbergasted wrote: [View Post]
  I tried to rename the root directory one of my other forums was located in from phpBB2 to forum and I got an error message that the index.php could not be found. So if anyone know how to change the path in the database so I can move up a directory or rename the root directory, it would be a big help.

Backup your database > login ACP > Configuration > Server > Script Path

Change to "Forum" or whatever and Submit.

FTP Client > rename the old folder to the new one you now have in the Script Path.

Back to topPage bottom

Hey, thank Lopalong. I tired that before and got the same initial response I did this time. When I first changed it and clicked on the link in IP to go to the whatever page, I got a "We can't find that page" error. This time I typed in the address to /forum and it worked. I guess I should have tired that the last time I attempted to change directories.

So to change to a higher level, I would have to first change the script path first, then delete all of the files in the lower directory and upload to the new higher direcotry, correct?  

Back to topPage bottom

Hey, thank Lopalong. I tired that before and got the same initial response I did this time. When I first changed it and clicked on the link in IP to go to the whatever page, I got a "We can't find that page" error. This time I typed in the address to /forum and it worked. I guess I should have tired that the last time I attempted to change directories.

It virtually becomes a new installation when you change folder names - so yeah, you would have to address it with a full url to reset cookies and whatever.

So to change to a higher level, I would have to first change the script path first

As you suggested earlier, but doing it the hard way; is to edit the database after you have moved the forum to where you want it.

The easiest way to move anything is to know exactly where one is going to put it, and set the url and script-path/folders in the existing ACP and save it.

One is now in Limbo, if one has got it wrong!  

Then delete all of the files in the lower directory and upload to the new higher directory, correct?

You shouldn't have to delete anything - if you are using a cPanel type app where you should be able to cut and paste (Move) the whole shebang to a different location, all in one foul sweep!  

Your "higher level" ? If you are referring to moving from the public-folder to the root of your webspace, it wont work.
Not unless you are on a shared situation like Servage or Godaddy, where the root is the public folder ?

Be brave and try it anyway, as you have nothing to lose but the forum!    

But keep a DB backup (or 2) close by if you have to undo everything,

Back to topPage bottom

OK, I started changing things before I read your last post, so I probably did more than I had to, but it worked. When I was referring the the "root" directory I meant the root directory of the specific domain which in this case was mexicansgohome.com rather than mexicansgohome.com/phpBB2. Anyway, all I have to do now is add pages with the content that I had before on pages that I hacked out using Bluefish.

Thanks for your help. BTW, It looks like I didn't loose anything.  

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List