Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Adding Independant Flash Games Software Here 

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

David, it seems there is not that much progressing here, so you could still follow easily!

Hehehe! Yeah, I never noticed how quiet it is around here lately - But I didn't mean following Icy Phoenix, I meant at nearly 67 years of age it's getting difficult to keep up with most things these days - Long story.

Regarding your Games Software, I'll be happy to host the download here if you wish. We can create a support topic and add the package in Download section.

It wasn't so much the hosting that I was thinking about as I could do that from my private web-space. It was getting someone interested enough to take over the whole lot of it including the main site that is about 4Gigs of space along with about 10 templates. In other words a ready-made game site that he or she can improve the coding on etc and distribute the "Demo" version.

And the reason I brought it up here is because I came to the conclusion that you may like to add something different to your server and link it to Icy Phoenix to give people another reason to come here to chat etc - If you get my drift?

I'll be happy to pitch in for a little while where I can in making up individual template packs for the demo along with supplying the MAIN SQL and all of the game files and game images etc (about 3,000 of each) but from there someone else will have to take charge of it all.

Anyway - Something to consider and to talk about here as I don't do IM and no longer subscribe to skype.

Send me the last version so I'll have a look.

Done!

I was going to PM it, but thought the more available it is, the more people may be interested in it.

Install:

Create a DB.
Open includes/config.php and add the DB strings.
Upload the contents of the 'demo' to a folder of your choice.
url to /Your Folder/install/install.php

The Demo: (47MB)

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~cranky65/demo.zip

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Adding Independant Flash Games Software Here 

He he he, ok David, I can host everything, but I cannot assure I'll be able to code new stuff on it. I can fix bugs of course... and I may try to make it work as a plugin of Icy Phoenix for those who wish to integrate it.

Anyway, I'll install it and I'll have a look at the whole thing.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I can host everything, but I cannot assure I'll be able to code new stuff on it.

No it wasn't expected that you take over/do coding for it as that can be left for others to mess around with and just have a support category for it here at Icy.  

All you need to be is the anchor for it and make the demo available. I wouldn't envisage that you would need to even or want to change the 'Main' games apart from making it more an independent "toy" that points in all directions to, and reflects on Icy Phoenix's main site here etc by removing/changing the blog stuff that comes with the main games portal.

And speaking of the Portal - It's not exactly a part of the demo, it's just something I did to add to the Main Games.

One hurdle that exists is it would no doubt need a new URL/Domain Name as BitzaGames would no longer be valid and IcyGames is already taken by someone else - - - GRRRRRrrrrrrrr!  

Anyway, let me know if you want to go ahead with the whole shebang, and we'll work out the best way of doing it by PM.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I can create a subdomain if you wish, so we can place all the stuff there.

Something like games.icyphoenix.com

What do you think?

I would only request to keep the disk usage at a minimum by installing only few games as a demo.

Back to topPage bottom

games.icyphoenix.com

Sub-domain sounds ok with me, but I would like to see all the main games as well?  

Pick me up in a PM and give me a price to rent some Icy Phoenix Server space with the sub domain for 12 months and we'll see how it pans out.  

That way I can set it up and still make it appear as part of Icy and if it doesn't work out, then you can do as you please with it.

I'd probably need at least 6GB of disk space.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

very good initiatives  

if it will be a plugin even better for us that we do not have good relationship with code.

Congratulations to each case for the initiative     

CostaSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
Pick me up in a PM and give me a price to rent some Icy Phoenix Server space with the sub domain for 12 months and we'll see how it pans out.  

That way I can set it up and still make it appear as part of Icy and if it doesn't work out, then you can do as you please with it.

I'd probably need at least 6GB of disk space.  

It's not a problem of space itself, it's the server backup procedure which is now almost at full power (for all domains on the server), and games don't really need a backup.

I'll check with the backup service provider if I can exclude games from the backup and I'll let you know.

Just the subdomain and few games will be free of charge for you.

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks Luca,

I don't mind if I have to take server space with the likes of Blue-Host for twelve months to showcase the "Main Games" scripts and games etc so that people can see the whole thing working, with a link back to Icy Phoenix "Games Category" for support and the Demo Download from Icy Phoenix.

If it's not possible for you to host the Main Games as a 'working' site and the Demo I suppose we then need a ten-point plan of where to go from there.  

1. I'll take server space elsewhere for the Main Games and keep it alive for twelve months.

2. Install the Demo on Icy Phoenix in a sub-domain and link to it both from the Main Games and from Icy Phoenix.

3. Create a support category for it at Icy Phoenix.

4. Add the Demo.zip to Icy Phoenix Downloads as it wont be available from the Main Games site or any other mirror.

5. For the first twelve months I could host the game-packages (Just over 4Gb) and the SQL for those who may want them. Meantime, hopefully someone else will become interested enough to take over hosting the game-packages and the Main Games Site.

6. Maybe make me an "Honorary" Moderator here so that I can look after the Games Category and delete the %$#@ Spammers that post their rubbish here.  

Mmmmm! 6 out of 10 ain't bad for a start, maybe you may want to add another 4?  

Seriously, what this is all about is that I originally put this together for the benefit of my grand-kids who still prefer (when they visit) to run it under xampp (as they do at home) to avoid the adverts, so server space became useless to me, along with a support forum that attracted more spammers than users - So I killed Bitza Games and all that went with it.

But I don't want to see about two years of work lost forever, because I ain't getting any younger and I don't have the zest to take it much further or to support or improve it all that much any longer. Although I have recently edited the jquery for some deprecated stuff because upgrading jquery doesn't work with fancybox now that it's apparently not free any more, and - - - - I would still have to edit out or change Bitza Games from all of the php file headers for something that's appropriate.

And because I learned a lot here (while not ALWAYS on the best of behaviour) I figured I owed you one, and considered that it may be of some use to you as another tool to attract more people who WILL have to come here to Icy for at least the Demo, the Download and support.

Even if you cant host the Main Games.  

Same for the Game Packs etc, no matter where they are hosted in the short-term they would only be available (linked to the source) from the Games Support or downloads here at Icy.

And that's all the freebies I have to give away today and for you to think about - And whatever you decide to do is OK with me.

So it's your move.

Edit:

The Managing Director (My Wife) has objected to me taking "paid for" server space just to run the Main Games as an example for others etc, so maybe we'd better concentrate on just the Demo being here at Icy Phoenix  along with the support and take it from there.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I'll contact you privately.

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML