Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post What Happened In The Last Years In This Forum? 

I apologize if my question is not gentle, but I am in shock  

Most of the topics are very old, 2014, 2009, 2007... Not good to someone trying to set an IcyPhoenix forum for the first time in this age.

There are no tutorials, no mods, and nothing else that can be useful to me. I wouldn't like to be posting and posting everything, because I have too many questions...

Please, tell me that this forum is reliving again with the last version of the forum.

Thank you very much for your patiente; I'd really like to make the forum works, but I need too much help  

CristianitaSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: What Happened In The Last Years In This Forum? 

Hi Cristianita,

That's a fair enough question.

Icy Phoenix has more or less gone to being just a hobby for MG since Social Media has come into the game and with that forum software virtually just died, and this place is no exception. The current version is the last and there won't be any more development done with it.

As for help around here - It's very scarce as MG spends very little time here and Informpro is much the same - And they are about the ONLY two that really know anything about IP.

As for myself - I just hang around the place and help where I can and remove the spammers, but I stopped coding and looking at/playing with forums some years ago and these days I struggle to know where anything is any more - So I couldn't really be counted on if it's a difficult one to solve.

As you say you would need a lot of help - I really would recommend you switch to something else like phpBB3 where at least they do have active support and on-going development.

Last edited by mort on Wed 15 Jun, 2016 14:16; edited 2 times in total 
mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

It's very sad to hear it  

I love this forum because many things that I really like them, for example the private forum, I need it very much because my forum Plantando la Eternidad is also a Psicologist Clinic, and is needed a private place like this.

There are many other things like the skins, they are really beautiful, and... well, phpbb is not like IcyPhoenix so far.

My real forum is in Forumactif (Foroactivo in Spanish) and I like that free hosting because I have a relly good support in Spanish. But when I saw IcyPhoenix, I felt in love!!

Well, my friend... I could install my first IcyPhoenix forum... and my last one too     I'm ready to delete it and focus at my new skin in foroactivo.

It was a pleasure to meet you, Mort. You are very very very kind and patient with me, about my bad English jajajajaja  

God bless you!!  

Back to topPage bottom

Cristianita wrote: [View Post]
There are many other things like the skins, they are really beautiful

That's changing too because these days most if not all themes need to be "Responsive" for the different platforms out there.

Large and colourful graphics are quickly going into extinction along with a lot of other things, and although PC's will no doubt always be around, a responsive theme saves making one twice or more  - And for that some of the beauty has to go....

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Because Luca stopped his project  

But it's ok... All of us need some new projects so... No problem

Back to topPage bottom

There are still a lot of people who use Icy Phoenix as their forum but most of them are pretty schooled up as webmasters and don't require a lot of help. They make their own themes, or modify existing ones and trouble-shoot a lot of their own problems.

That's the kind of people Icy Phoenix appeals to. And there are a lot of people who have found it too hard and gone to easier forum software (Though there's not much of a choice these days) and the biggest problems have always come from people who try to install Icy on Free servers - And that usually never works out because it does use a lot of things that free severs don't allow. Myself and Limun tested various free servers and none of them would run Icy Phoenix as it should run - always one problem or another - And there lays your biggest problem.

Icy is not difficult - It just takes time to learn and needs to be installed into the correct environment.

And whether this new release will generate new interest is yet to be seen - I do doubt that it will ever be what it was - but it's early days yet.  

And I'll say this again,

If you don't have - You really should have XAMPP on your pc as it's easy to install with the self-installer and it's what everyone else does because it makes learning and trouble-shooting a whole easier than doing it live on the web. Then when you get it to what you want it to be, that's the time to install it live. It's also great for testing things and for modifying templates etc.

If you need a walk-through with that - I can help you there too..  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Wow!!! You are amazing, Mort!! I've lost hope, and now here you are!!

I really appreciate your offer!... Let me think about this, because I'm right now a bit busy with my forum, it's closed for maintenance.

Ok, I don't say good bye, neither "see you soon", but I say "See you very very soon"   God bless you!!

p.s. I need to improve my English by the way  

Back to topPage bottom

Your English is OK! and it's much better than my Spanish.  

I also Spell-Check my posts' so they should translate to Spanish reasonably well.

Google Translate..

Su Inglés es OK! y es mucho mejor que mi español.

También revisar la ortografía de mis mensajes 'por lo que debe traducirse en español razonablemente bien.

Edit:

Maybe NOT! but it looks OK if I reverse it back to English - Sort Of?  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
Icy Phoenix has more or less gone to being just a hobby for MG since Social Media has come into the game and with that forum software virtually just died, and this place is no exception. The current version is the last and there won't be any more development done with it.

mort wrote: [View Post]
As you say you would need a lot of help - I really would recommend you switch to something else like phpBB3 where at least they do have active support and on-going development.

I subscribe this.

Every forum software is "suffering" from Facebook or other social networks... plus today there are a lot of good "blogging" platforms and users prefer to go solo instead of building something together in a forum. I still manage some forum websites, but I can tell for sure that the platform is not an issue, but the users attendance and attitutde.

Anyway, unfortunately I don't have much free time for coding, and that is the main issue for me.

But as long as I will manage all my website, I will continue coding for my own needs.

Should you need a larger support userbase, then you should try to look for other more diffuse platforms, like phpBB 3 or xenForo.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi, Luca! Nice to say hello!

My forum is at forumactif platform, and it is very well... but I love IcyPhoenix, really...

Anyway, I will still in touch with you, Mort, just in case Luca decided come back with this amazing forum  

God bless you all!!

Back to topPage bottom

We'll be here for a while :-).

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thank you very much, Informpro  

Back to topPage bottom

Cristianita wrote: [View Post]
Just in case Luca decided come back with this amazing forum

It's not that Icy Phoenix is "going away" it's just that the development has stopped, which in one way is a good thing because it has a lot going for it with all the added extras and a few useful plugins and you wont need to do any updating in future.

It's up to you to decide if it already has enough of what you want to use it as it is. If it does then there should be no reason why you can't use it - providing that you use a Server that it will run under.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I for one am glad you guys are still here. I knew the other day when my buddy asked me to rebuild his site exactly where I wanted to go. I installed it and love the whole thing. Not exactly sure why I never used it any sooner. I am broker than a 3 legged dog, but if I can scare up a few extra bucks I will throw it your alls way in a donation.

I am not the smartest one of the bunch but if I can add anything anywhere or make suggestions Ill be more than glad to. I did some tweaking here and there on IMPortal over the years and some on Integramod.

I did grab some of the Plugins that are updated for the new release and found a couple errors. And one that breaks the profile entirely.

On another note, I did manage to take the Milky way template and mod it to my liking and it is not bad at all. I'm pleased.

MWE_001Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Please report the errors you've found. I don't have a computer right now, but I'll try to look at it in a few days when I'm back :).

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List