Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Notification When On Forum Activity - This Has Been Solved My Last Reply 

I'm the administrator on a small Icy Phoenix CMS I've recently set up. I would like to get email notification when there is activity on three forums I've set up. When I look at my profile and go to subscribed forums list, it says I have no subscribed forums, but I don't see any way to subscribe to a forum for notification. Also, I have not turned on Always notify me of replies under Preferences. Could you tell me what the best way to set up email notification for Forum activity? My admin email has been set to an email address that I check every day on my development machine. If I could get notification of forum activity in my email on my development machine, I wouldn't have to also check for new posts, replies, etc. on the Icy Phoenix CMS. - Thanks, Bob

Last edited by Bob Dukes on Thu 01 Sep, 2016 22:12; edited 1 time in total 
Bob DukesSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Notification When On Forum Activity 

Hi,

When you are viewing a forum, you can click on the " Watch this forum for posts" button (top right corner, under the "Recent topics - View unanswered posts" etc bar).

[quode]Always notify me of replies under Preferences[/quode]When you use the "reply" editor (I mean, not the quick reply while viewing a topic) there's a checkbox called "Notify me when a reply is posted". If you check this checkbox in your preferences, it'll be enabled by default.

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I logged on as admin, edited a forum to allow notification on posts, viewed the forum and selected "Watch this forum for Posts", went to my profile and confirmed the forum was showing in the Subscribed Forums List. I then logged out as admin and logged back in as a test registered member. I went to the forum and added a new post. Then I checked my admin email address on my development machine and did not receive any notification of the new post. I then logged out as test member and back in as admin and rechecked the Subscribed Forums List. It now showed no subscribed forums. However, when viewing the forum, there was a "Stop watching this forum" message in the menu.

The forum entry in the admin's Subscribed Forum Lists will persist until there is new post to the forum being watched. My best guess is that I didn't get any notification because the adding the post from the test member somehow removed the forum from the admin's "Subscribed Forums List. I have no trouble sending emails to the email address on my development machine from my test member when Using "Contact Us" or clicking on admin email when displaying the member list so this doesn't seem to be related to my admin email settings.

A secondary issue is that the CMS performance seems sluggish since I edited the forum to allow notification on posts. I reset that to no as a test, but that didn't seem to change much.

Appreciate any thoughts or guidance you can give me on the above. - Thanks, Bob

Back to topPage bottom

I spoke with my web site support about the sluggishness in the CMS I've been experiencing since yesterday and reported in my previous post. The performance issue was a server issue generic to loading databases on the server my site is running on. The performance issue has been corrected on my web site.  I've rerun the scenario from the previous post and am getting the same behavior re the notification issue. Please let me know if you have any ideas about the cause. Thanks, Bob

I solved the notification issue !

The notification issue was caused because I had changed the admin email address under email settings in the server preferences. This worked just fine for contact us and email address when members are listed. I forgot however to also change the admin email address in my profile registration information. I thought (falsely) the notifications were using the admin address in the server preferences as well. Once I changed the email address in the registration information to match the address in the server preferences, everything worked like a charm. Hope I didn't waste too much of your time - Bob

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List