Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Customization Question About A Block 

Has anyone here ever created a Announcements block?

I can appreciate the news block, but am curious over a Announcements block that would pull announcements out of any forum id no matter what forum and display it in a block on the home page or what ever page is chosen to display the block.

I got the cfg file created but trying to create the announcements.php I started getting in over my head real quick like.

Take care guys.

P.S. If anyone wishes to take a stab at this, I do have a announcements block.cfg file as well as an announcements block file it self that I can get to you to study.

MWE_001Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Customization Question About A Block 

That's a very interesting idea!

I'm not sure about the "from all the forums" though - or do you want the ID to be specifiable?

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Well, in certain blocks, we can get a choice of what article or forum id's to use kind of like the forum articles block http://prntscr.com/doyztp

I am not sure how the news block works. If it just picks up a forum pst that is marked as news or what as I have found no settings but it seems to pull posts from every forum regardless of ID.

So if I had 3 categories and 5 forums per category and I posted an announcement in 6 of them no matter what category or forum, it would pull that announcement and display it on the front page.

Obviously it would need block variables to set. Such as how many announcements to display and stuff like that. I would guess this would probably be only appealing as a Global block?

Back to topPage bottom

I think another option would be to add "topic level" to the options?

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Yeah, I don't see why that wouldn't work out.

I think for the heck of it, you could look at the announcements block from integra to see how it works. I started to try it myself yesterday using it as a guide and quickly figured out I was not the man for the job.  

Back to topPage bottom

It should be quite easy to be done... if you didn't succeed so far, I can help next week.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List