Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Modification - Posting Template (Force Text Into The First Post In A New Thread) 

This forces whatever text / questions one may want the user to HAVE to read and or edit / add to etc, etc whenever they post a NEW topic.

Just what this and every other support forum could do with.  

Package Icy Phoenix Modifications
    File $Id: Posting-Template-Install-en.txt
    Tested Version for Icy Phoenix: 1.3.0.*
    Author: eviL3 (Igor Wiedler)
    Copyright (c) eviL3
    Email:
    Web: h**p://phpbbmodders.net
    License h**p://opensource.org/licenses/GPL-license.php GNU Public License

Extra credits for this MOD:
        Modified for Icy Phoenix by Lopalong. 28th September 2009

Title:
        Posting-Template

Description:
        Let's the admin specify a posting template on per-forum basis.

Configuration location: ACP > Forum > Management > General Forum Settings

Files To Edit: 4
        posting.php,
        adm/admin_forums.php
        language/lang_english/lang_admin.php,
        templates/common/ACP/forum_edit_body.tpl

Included Files: 0

Included Folders: 0

Disclaimer:
        There is no guarantee that there are no security problems within the MOD.

Comments:

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING:
        Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD

Download: IP-Posting_Template.zip

NOTE: These instructions are exactly the same for IP v27 with the exceptions that IP v27 has spaces where IP v.1.3 doesn't.

Eg: IP 27 -> if ( $mode == 'newtopic' ) - IP 1.3 -> if ($mode == 'newtopic') etc. You also may find things like IP 27 -> <td class="row1">{L_POSTING_TPL}<br /> and where IP v 1.3 will have -> <td class="row1"><b>{L_POSTING_TPL}</b><br />{

So go for keywords with IP 27 rather than strings when you can't find something.

Last edited by Guest on Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:18; edited 3 times in total 

Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Posting Template (Force Text Into The First Post In A New Thread) 

Nice shot... I like this, and I think other users will love this feature.

I have always been uncertain about adding this or not in default Icy Phoenix... if I ever come to finish what I'm doing with current forums table I may consider adding this mod, otherwise I won't, just because currently forums table is read every single page, and I don't like to charge that table with extra text field. For the same reason I striped out the rules.

Maybe an option would be to add this text template to the rules table, so we will automatically avoid extra charge.

Are you willing to have a try Lopalong?

It should not be tough... you just need to move the field to another table and change SQL requests accordingly.

P.S.: just for the records... I have removed current admin_forums.php from Icy Phoenix and I will update only admin_forums_extend.php which is better coded...
P.P.S.: Please remove thumbs.db from the zip file as it is not needed... and disable thumbnails creation in your windows from Explorer => Folder Options.
P.P.P.S.: I have implemented a plugin system in Icy Phoenix, and I'm sure you will like it... as soon as I have finished to edit all files and I have an alpha release I'll show you how it works.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks you very much Lopalong, it is very useful for me.

Work with icy 1.0.27?

I read that this Is active only on starting a new topic? isn't it?

Or is active in post reply too?

Thanks!!!

portalpezSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

@ portalpez.

I've updated the instructions to include what to look out for with IP v27

@ MG

No thanks mate, to any of it.

That MOD has been sitting on my pc for over a month, and I thought I'd make it available before it got deleted in the next clean up I do and have forgotten what it was for, or whether it was a leftover WIP.

You should also consider that before you decide to add it as a default option to Icy Phoenix  - Is it necessary for the running of the forum, and more importantly will EVERYONE want it or use it? If not, then maybe it's better as an add on.

Because IMHO, IP has too many things now, that most people don't want or use.  But that's just my opinion maybe because I don't use it.  

Back to topPage bottom

Well... you know that I agree on the fact that Icy Phoenix has too many things in it, but I'm working hard in optimizing the code again to make extra options switchable and not impacting overall performances.

I have reached a good level of integration now, and I have set some features to be globally switched on or off easily. It is 2 years now that I'm only adding features if they do not add extra charge to common pages, if you check a plain installation on some pages only 2 SQL requests are performed, and in next version even some requests from cache have been optimized to have only one global request instead of having multiple ones.

It is hard to explain all the new modifications, but I'm really picky about this matter and this time I am almost satisfied with the results, and I'm expecting to show the benefits on this site when I have finished all the edits... only then I will try to expose in a more structured manner what's new and what has been improved.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
It is hard to explain all the new modifications, but I'm really picky about this matter and this time I am almost satisfied with the results, and I'm expecting to show the benefits on this site when I have finished all the edits... only then I will try to expose in a more structured manner what's new and what has been improved.

MG, maybe you can improve the template system to where all themes go to their own template/folder and not have the mishmash of some themes are nested - some are not.

It was getting to be a pain here with all the questions and explanations to questions about how to install the different themes to different locations, overwriting cfg files or not and all the rest of it that is totally unnecessary with the new global default files system. They don't take up any more room by being in their own folders, and would create a lot less confusion if they were all the same in where to upload them to and how to install them.

Upload to the template folder -> go to ACP > install style!

Too Easy!  But I really do think that you need to consider changing it from the awkward way it is done now.

Back to topPage bottom

I second this Lopa.

It really can be a pain in the a.. if you got to sort out first , is it a MG theme or is´nt it.

every template in it´s own folder and sorted

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

IMHO, That's a really good mod' which easily can be add as a default option. As if it mainly will used only on rules forums ( or when a user have to present himself to each others, etc ... ).
Personally, when I saw this mod', my brain illuminated directly and I hadn't to think a lot about it on how to use it on my board ^^ It's seriously very useful =)

So THANKS Lopalong ^^

@ MG : hmmm Global switches on many things ? Really interesting and, once it will be upped, I think it really be very useful. I can't wait to see it =D
( IMHO, Maybe everything like " Topic Rating ", " Thanks ", ... and other secondary things should be added as add-ons for make each user able to perform the most fitting board to each case. )

YrosSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Modification - Posting Template (Force Text Into The First Post In A New Thread) 

Great mod, very useful (presentations forums, pub etç ...)
I think it have to be included in IP.
@ MG > Global switches ? I think it's the better things that can be in IP

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Modification - Posting Template (Force Text Into The First Post In A New Thread) 

Thanks you very much... working in my forum 1.0.27....

portalpezSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Fantastic MOD, Lopalong!

ChaoticSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi

Download is missing.  can anyone help me, re upload the package?  

Thank you,

xmenfile

xmenfileSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

xmenfile wrote: [View Post]
Hi

Download is missing.  can anyone help me, re upload the package?  

Thank you,

xmenfile

See this post:

http://www.icyphoenix.com/viewtopic.php?p=46376#p46376

IP-Posting_Template.zip

Greetings...

TuningBEB2008Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

sorry i missed that, somehow i kept looking for "Force Text" .  I appreciate for your directed link, I have to try it today.

Thank you TuningBEB2008

xmenfile

xmenfileSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Download Link has been changed.  

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List