Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Picture Compression BUG In The Album 

Hi, I disabled all possible compression setting in the album but the saved pictures in the album keep to change size and be compressed (no changes in dimensions, only in size) after uploading, you can see the difference in the size of this two images , the biggest is the original, the smallest is what I get once uploaded the picture in the album. I run a site of 3d graphic and the users are complaining about the bad quality of the uploaded pictures. As I said I disabled all possible options in the album, no mid thumb, no recompression, none. You can say that the pictures look exactly the same but if you zoom it you can see the artifacts.

virtualbeach2003.jpg
Description: original 
Download
Filename: virtualbeach2003.jpg
Filesize: 214.12 KB
Downloaded: 1653 Time(s)
Test.jpg
Description: recompressed image 
Download
Filename: Test.jpg
Filesize: 67.36 KB
Downloaded: 1658 Time(s)

Last edited by tormentor on Mon 13 Nov, 2006 21:11; edited 1 time in total 
tormentorSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Picture Compression In The Album 

P.S. It has the same behaviour on this site too, on the smartor's site it works without recompression... So it's something due to a mod installed on the album.

P.P.S. The file in the server is stored in the correct size, when it's shown in the album it's recompressed

P.P.S. I'm not a coder but probably it's something due to a redefined quality of jpg in the album_image_class.php file (not sure about it) I've set it to 100 instead of 75 but the image is still changed in its size and quality. I don't understand the opportunity of changing the quality of the picture once the maximum upload size is defined, it's the task of the author to adjust it at the proper size, it should be automatically done eventually in case the picture exceed the set size not if the picture has the right size... I can't find a solution myself if not to erase the modifications made to the album mod, however I consider this thing a bug.

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Picture Compression BUG In The Album 

Can I have a link to this picture in your album please?

If the picture is stored properly in your webspace, then it is something related to your FAP settings.

I should have solved this in FAP 1.4.0 RC9... but I want to double check before posting you a fix.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Please, try to upload the picture here in the album of this site, and let me know if you are facing the same issue.

Thank you.

Back to topPage bottom

Thank you for the reply MG, I posted a picture yesterday in the Test forum (there are 2 pictures from me) and it was the one that I used to test the behaviour here, the size was changed. Today all seems fixed, but you turned midsize pictures on, yesterday they were off if I'm not wrong, with the mid thumbs on the picture shows on it's original size on my site too, if they are off the problem appears. However today here on your site the problem is vanished. I made some mess with the files on my place and now the compression problem is gone but on some pictures the size is nearly doubled when one watches the pic, doh...

However, there should not be anything that changes the original picture size when sent to the browser, there is something in the album_image_class.php file or somewhere else. I can show you the behaviour, even if actually the problem is reversed: the picture is bigger than the original:

this link http://www.posetteforever.com/show-pic-asp3976.html goes to the picture as it's shown on my album, and I attach you the same picture downloaded from the server, you can see the size difference

Update:

I have uploaded the original files related to the album of the 058b release but the behaviour is the same: with mid-images turned off and all qualities set to 100 the image in the album shows only partially , about 1/3 of the heigth from above and then stops to load. I had to turn this line

function JpegQuality($quality = 75)

to

function JpegQuality($quality = 100)

in the album_image_class.php file to "fix" it but the image showed is not the same size of the file on the server with useless waste of bandwidth

I've also noticed that the thumbnail cache is not working even if set, the thumbnails are shown as album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=xxx and not with the link to the cached file. All chmod are set to 777 of course. I assume that the in order to show the thumbnail the full picture as to be loaded and then resized, this is not good.

original.jpg
Description:  
Download
Filename: original.jpg
Filesize: 49.74 KB
Downloaded: 1596 Time(s)

Back to topPage bottom

No... I didn't change the any setting here... I've only increased the limit size for pictures upload. Nothing else...

As I told you in my previous post, I've already faced this issue, and I have solved it at least a couple of weeks ago, you will find another problem related to it at my site:

http://www.mightygorgon.com/viewtopic.php?t=3562

As I said I've fixed it in FAP 1.4.0 RC9, but it is not included in XS 058b.

I need to fix some other things before releasing the final version of FAP... but in the meantime you can try to replace album_pic and album_picm from FAP 1.4.0 RC9 and see if they are working as expected...

Or you have the alternative to wait either the final release of FAP or A69...

I made too many modifications to FAP files (even if not released the version of FAP I'm currently here has many difference from RC9), and it would take too much time for me to compare all the versions and tell you what to fix.

You are quite good with PHP, so I think you can fix this on your own...

Back to topPage bottom

Well, I've succeded to upgrade to FAP 1.4.0 RC9 on my own and the problem is disappeared.

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

You are quite good with PHP, so I think you can fix this on your own...

Back to topPage bottom

Great!

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML