well i'm a dufus at this stuff and by following your instructions very carefully (and slowly so i didn't miss a trick) it worked for me.
However, to make it easier for other people who search the forums for this answer, here's the step by step instructions
1. Go to your forum and create a forum specifically for your Polls.
2. Create a thread inside the poll forum and put a poll in the thread (eg, do you like this site?)
3. Get the forum id, by returning to the forum homepage (that's the forum.php page not the home link) and retrieve the id number. To do this, hover your mouse over the Polls forum that you created in step 1, and read the URL. at the end will be a number (mine was 17), and this is your poll ID.
4. Go to your Admin Control Panel (ACP
5. Click on Portal then on Portal Configuration.
6. Scroll down to just passed half way and look for
Poll Forum ID(s) comma delimited [ poll block ]
Enter your ID from step 3 in this place.
7. Scroll down and click on Submit
8. View your poll on the front page!