Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Random Logouts On Black Pearl 

Hi guys, recently created my first website and loved the Black Pearl template. Great job on it! One thing I've noticed that does get really annoying is that if you leave the page for any reason, or you hit "back" several times to before you were logged in, even if you click the "Keep me logged in" tab, it logs you out. This happens in any instance where you don't click a new link on the forum to go to a different page.

Maybe it has been brought up, in which case please llink me to the solution. I looked around for a bit and I didn't find anything so I made a new topic. Thanks!

SaucemanSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Random Logouts On Black Pearl 

Sounds like an cookie and navigator problem, but not like an icy problem

i recomend you clean your browser cache and cookies, and when try again

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

spydie wrote: [View Post]
Sounds like an cookie and navigator problem, but not like an icy problem

i recomend you clean your browser cache and cookies, and when try again

Well it's not just happening to me. Is it something internally I can change, because I've had several othrer users tell me it's a problem.

Back to topPage bottom

you may want to have a look at server and cookie settings in your ACP ...probably fill in your domain name

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

that was the next step, i would recomend. You´ve just been faster.

maybe change cookie name aswell

Back to topPage bottom

Sorry Spydie ... there was no doubt in my mind you we're going that direction  

Back to topPage bottom

never mind.

thoughts going same direction, so it does´nt matter

Back to topPage bottom

Joshua203 wrote: [View Post]
you may want to have a look at server and cookie settings in your ACP ...probably fill in your domain name

What exactly am I looking  for? It says my domain name for cookies is ".xcelarenas.com/forums"

The url for the forums is www.xcelarenas.com/forums

Back to topPage bottom

Hi again Sauceman,

I allready had a weird feeling that you're board was not IcyPhoenix based but phpbb based (wich is why i held out on posting the exact locations in ACP).

By posting a link this is now clear   ..thanks , I've moved this topic to the correct section of the forum (please post any future questions in this section)

Now back to your question:

.xcelarenas.com/forums is not your domain name ... it's a path and even an incorrect path because of the dot in front of it, your domain name is xcelarenas.com

please make sure this is used in these boxes:

- ACP>>general tab>>server settings>>domain name
(also make sure that in the script path box it says /forums)

- ACP>>cookie settings>>cookie domain
(also make sure the cookie name is a unique name)

Keep in mind that hitting the back button beyond the login point will give you a failing page at the point of the login page if this works correct and if you go back past the login it will still show you logged out but a refresh of the page will now make it jump to logged in ( again.. if this works corrrect)

I hope this cleared it all up a bit for you

PS... welcome this forum BTW Sauceman, glad to see you like MG's Black Pearl ...it's my favorite too  

Back to topPage bottom

- ACP>>general tab>>server settings>>domain name

(also make sure the cookie name is a unique name)

Without making any changes, here is what my settings are relative to your post:

ACP>>general tab>>server settings>>domain name

www.xcelarenas.com/forums (Should this just be www.xcelarenas.com, or is this correct since this is the domain for the forums?)

/~sauceman/forums (Should I take out the /~sauceman? That is how I got to the forums before name servers linked up.)

www.xcelarenas.com/forums (added the www to it to complete it)

As far as a unique name, this is what it is currently: phpbb3_iz28b       (Are you saying I can change it to something unique like "football" for it to work better?)

Also, something to throw in, by default it has my "Cookie Path" as just "/". Is that correct?

Sorry for all the stupid questions...this is my first attempt at using phpbb and I love all the help I'm getting, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Back to topPage bottom

Sauceman wrote: [View Post]
Sorry for all the stupid questions...this is my first attempt at using phpbb and I love all the help I'm getting, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I really appreciate everyone's help!

don't worry about it, stupid questions are the ones never asked   , but it might be a good idea to do some reading here... http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

however i do want to ask you to follow the previous (this will save me a lot of typing   ), dont add stuff like www. or /forums to your domain name (not everyone will type www when going to your site .. some will use http:// or even nothing at all) the more you add the more picky the cookie will become

one thing i do want to reply to is the cookie name:

i must admit i do not know if phpbb installs this name with a random so i would change it but not to football because i question how unique this would be, maybe phpbb3_xcelarenas would be good or maybe even add a number to that

don t worry too much about this .. not many will ever read the cookie besides the machine itself

Also, something to throw in, by default it has my "Cookie Path" as just "/". Is that correct?

yes, it's just the path where the cookie will be stored on the visitor's machine

Back to topPage bottom

don't worry about it, stupid questions are the ones never asked   , but it might be a good idea to do some reading here... http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

however i do want to ask you to follow the previous (this will save me a lot of typing   ), dont add stuff like www. or /forums to your domain name (not everyone will type www when going to your site .. some will use http:// or even nothing at all) the more you add the more picky the cookie will become

one thing i do want to reply to is the cookie name:

i must admit i do not know if phpbb installs this name with a random so i would change it but not to football because i question how unique this would be, maybe phpbb3_xcelarenas would be good or maybe even add a number to that

don t worry too much about this .. not many will ever read the cookie besides the machine itself

yes, it's just the path where the cookie will be stored on the visitor's machine

Awesome. I just changed the cookie domain to "xcelarenas.com" and I changed the unique cookie name to "phpbb3_xcelarena". I'm hoping this works! Thanks so much for the help

Back to topPage bottom

fingers crossed, i hope you have lots of fun learning about and and playing with your forum  

Back to topPage bottom

Is it working now?

TheSteffenSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

TheSteffen wrote: [View Post]
Is it working now?

Sorry, I should have replied to let you guys know that it works for me now! Appreciate all the help.

One question I have that I believe I asked somewhere else, but I'm not sure if it was here, is it seems like I don't have the ability to sticky topics. I don't know what it is, because I've adjusted the permissions, at least to my "Site Founder" group to include "Yes" for everything in every class of permissions, and it's not an option in the "Board Features" or "Board General".

Are these just not available in black pearl? Thanks for the help!

Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List