Re: Front Page News Don't Display
You may want to try either of these:
The news [News] block
is a good way to show specific topics/posts as news items on your index page.
- First, go to ACP -> News -> News Configuration and enable news posting.
- Start creating a block on the index page as you normally would, but be sure the block file used is news [News].
- After customizing the options on the first screen, click Submit to head to the next step in setting up the news [News] block.
- Number Of News To Display - How many news postings would you like displayed on your index page?
- Random Or Newest News - Would you like random or newest news to be displayed?
- Length Of News - 250 characters is the default, but if you'd like all text in the specific topic to be displayed, enter the number zero. Click Submit when you are finished editing these three fields.
To show your news on the front page, create/edit a topic you would like to post on the index page. You'll need to select News as the news category
, found under POST TOPIC AS and above MESSAGE BODY.
The forum attach [Advanced News]
block is sometimes confused as the news [News]
block because they essentially have the same function; to show topics/posts on your index page. The forum attach [Advanced News]
block is more customizable and has more functionality than the standard news block. Some people use the forum attach [Advanced News]
block as a blog type system.
Let's setup this block on our index page.
- Be sure news posting is enabled in ACP -> News -> News Configuration.
- Create the block like you would normally create a new block, but be sure the block file is forum attach [Advanced News].
- After customizing the options on the first screen, click Submit.
- Number Of Posts - How many posts would you like displayed on the index page?
- Length Of Posts - Just like the news [News] block, 250 characters is the default, but enter the number zero for all characters to be displayed within the block.
- Post Forum ID's - Which forums would you like to pull news from? Hover your mouse over the forum you'd like to present on the index page and remember the ID number found at the end of the link. This number will need to be entered in this field.
- Ignore Auth View Permission - By enabling this, forums view permissions will be ignored (this is important if you want to use hidden forums with NONE as view permission).
- Recent Or Random - Would you like recent or random topics to be shown?
- All Topics Or Only Marked - By selecting ALL TOPICS, all topics will be shown. Selecting SHOW IN HOME PAGE will require you to tick the box in the specific forum topic you'd like displayed on your page. You can find this check box under the Message Body field in posts.
- Retrieve Single Post - By selecting YES, only one post will be shown in this block.
- Posts ID - Enter a specific post ID to be displayed.
- Get ID From Address - Enabling this will get the ID directly from address (post_id=XXX).
- Click Submit when you are finished editing these fields.
____________| Icy Phoenix ColorizeIt! |
- Not good for you and definitely not good for everyone else.