Dont Shoot Me Down

Subject: Dont Shoot Me Down
I have recently had a phpBB3 Forum posted onto a server for me http://www.spitfireuk.co.uk. Looking at the Forum it appears quite dull in comparison to the Icy Phoenix forums. I have used many forums with the Icy Phoenix construction and has impressed me tremendously.

I have currently downloaded the latest version this morning , and was wondering if there is a read me file contained within the Install to take me through a step by step guide in the respect of uploading it to a server myself.

At the present moment I have a basic knowledge of web site contruction and would like to bring this forward. At the present moment a Forum that fantastic in appearance and easy to navigate would be most appreciated.

Is it possible for a phpBB3 board to be converted to Icy Phoenix.

Sorry in advance for the dumb a$$ question on such a Forum

Kind Regards
Scott

Subject: Re: Dont Shoot Me Down
Just upload all files to your server
and go to your ip folder with your navigator.

IP takes you through install bby itself.

It´s easy even for Dump Heads.

And yes its possibel to upgrade PHPBB3 to IP RC1

Thankyou for you fast response :thanks:

Would it take much converting on a small forum such as mine?

MG said there was a DOC for converting phpBB3 to Icy Phoenix here: http://www.icyphoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3348

But I only see converting Icy Phoenix to phpBB2, then converting phpBB2 to phpBB3.

There isn't a script that will convert phpBB3 to Icy Phoenix for you, but by the looks of your forum, you have a few choices here:

1. You can copy and convert all your important database tables into a vanilla phpBB2 installation, then convert from phpBB2 to Icy Phoenix. (We have a script that will convert your phpBB2 to Icy Phoenix in the install folder.)
  2. I see you have a few topics/posts/users. To save you a headache in the converting from phpBB3 to phpBB2, you could scrap that phpBB3 forum and install Icy Phoenix. You could have all your current members register their account again on your new Icy Phoenix installation.

It's easier in your case because you have a few choices. If you had 999,999 posts, 999,999,999 topics, and 999,999 registered users on your phpBB3 installation, converting to Icy Phoenix would be a nightmare.

Naturally, this is all up to you. If you choose to try your hand at converting from phpBB3 to phpBB2, make sure you make a backup of everything you alter. This will save you yet another headache if something terrible happens and you have to go back to phpBB3.

Ironically the forum was a phpBB2 site until a few days ago , so it would be easier at that stage to convert it to IP. The other option I have is just to put it back to BB2 and do the conversion using the back up data.

With the members being low and the posts low as well there is not a problem with just starting again.

Looking at this the option is just to start again with a fresh IP Forum.

I can only thank you for your help with me be a complete novice at this. It was nice to see that any posts placed are answered with proffesional replies.

Thank you Spitfireuk.co.uk

Please let us know if you have any trouble installing Icy Phoenix. Just open a new topic and we'll be glad to help.

Last, but not least, welcome to the Icy Phoenix family! 8)

Page 1 of 1