SOLVED Icy Phoenix 1.3.0.53a - RSS Feed No Display

Subject: Icy Phoenix 1.3.0.53a - RSS Feed No Display
I have read the instructions at:
Quote:

Documentation And How To - Icy Phoenix Advanced CMS Block Guide

rss [RSS]

Do you know of a website that peaks your communities interest? Does this website have RSS feeds? If it does, you are in luck because the rss [RSS] block will allow you to present the feeds of that website on your site. You have several options including: horizontal or vertical positions and static or scrolling effects. Keep your community informed by adding this block!

After reading, I realized how easy this was and I could do it instead of using a widget. So this is what I did and my results.

I created a block, selected RSS, entered the URL, choose scroll, etc, hit submit and this is what I receive on the homepage.

rss

So what did I not do?

Thanks,

Dave

Inactive User
Subject: Re: Icy Phoenix 1.3.0.53a - RSS Feed No Display
Don't know because it's working for me.

Also when you say "Created" - IP already has an RSS block that you ADD rather than create. Could be a misunderstanding on my part, Not sure. ;)

I understand your comment:

Quote:
Also when you say "Created" - IP already has an RSS block that you ADD rather than create. Could be a misunderstanding on my part, Not sure.

I think that somewhere along the path, I may have deleted the IP RSS Block.

So, I went to: "Home » CMS » Blocks Management » Blocks Management - 3 Columns" and added a new block.

I then selected from the " Home » CMS » Add/Edit Block Page 1 of 2" page the following:

home_cms_add_edit_block_page_1_of_2

Next:

home_cms_add_edit_block_page_2_of_2

I have tried to do this by using both of these links:

http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsylvaniateaparties/rss

and

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/rss/housefloortoday.xml

Is it suppose to be a "rss.php" to work?

Inactive User
christmanrd wrote: [View Post]
I have tried to do this by using both of these links:

h**p://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/pennsylvaniateaparties/rss

and

h**p://thomas.loc.gov/home/rss/housefloortoday.xml

Is it suppose to be a "rss.php" to work?

No it doesn't have to be visually .php etc, because simply putting any RSS feed in your browser should indicate if the links are both valid and correct. ;)

Anyway, You're in the right place to add the RSS and those links work, So let's not mess with it.

Some of these probably don't need to be replaced, but what the hell - they don't cost anything, and I'm not 100% sure on what MG has done with what lately. ;)

But! We have to start somewhere. :P

Replace all these files making sure you FTP in binary:

Forum Root: /

rss.php
rss_news_help.php

/blocks/

blocks_imp_rss.cfg
blocks_imp_rss.php

/templates/default/blocks/

rss_block.tpl

/templates/default/

rss_body.tpl
rss_news_help.tpl

Lopalong,

Thanks for helping with this.

Before we proceed with your suggested replacement of files on the server, I would like to share with you that the Rss function has been this way since I installed Icy on 18 Jul 09.

On 18 Aug 09, I started this topic: Icy Phoenix 1.3.0.53 - RSS Feed I don't remember changing anything as far as files are concerned while trying to resolve the issue that I was requesting help with.

On Tuesday, September 08, 2009, I installed the Patch and the RSS function is still not working properly.

I do use FireFTP and it is set to upload all files in BINARY. However, I can and will complete this as directed when I receive your reply.

So, with that known, do you still want me to proceed with your suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Inactive User
Dave,

There are two things that RSS needs.

1. Clean files.

2. An Entry / Table in the DB.

So sure, replace them all; and that should at least eliminate one problem. ;)

All files have been uploaded as suggested.

The problems still exists.

Inactive User
Thanks Dave,

And I don't, and wouldn't believe it's a database problem because there would be error messages generated on "Submit" etc in the CMS if that was the case.

Can you take the time to read your ISP TOS or maybe ask them if they allow "Streaming Through" their server? Some if not most don't, because it uses "their" resources to relay other website info?

BTW you might find out , why that site crashes from time to time LOPA

I do stream videos from youtube on my site.

So, I would think, they do allow "Streaming Through"

But, I will send them a ticket and ask.

Inactive User
When you link to a video, one is actually linking to the source url and embedding it in an Icy Phoenix "html page", because that's all you're really looking at in your browser.

Not sure about this RSS streaming, but I do know that servers can limit what one can actually access. Don't know - But the question does need to be asked - And somewhat more helpful would be if SOMEONE ELSE would at least try an INCOMING RSS feed live on THEIR site and report back the results.

:censored:

Edit:

Dave, have you tried this url in trying to add RSS?

h**p://icyphoenix.com/rss.php

Because from what I've been reading (And if I read it right), the source server can deny requests from .com, .net etc. It may have worked for me simply because I was using 127.0.0.1 with the request?

I have added them to a test page here:

http://www.icyphoenix.com/index.php?page=10

One is working while the other not... Can't tell why (it may depends on how the feed is configured by the provider), but the Blocks are working fine.

Inactive User
Thanks Luca, 8)

@ Dave,

I think that this topic can be marked as solved. Because it ain't Icy Phoenix by the look of it. And honestly Dave - You do seem to get more than your fair share of problems, and most seem to be created by the server you use.

Just an observation. ;)

Lopalong you ask:

Quote:
Can you take the time to read your ISP TOS or maybe ask them if they allow "Streaming Through" their server? Some if not most don't, because it uses "their" resources to relay other website info?

I contacted my server and cut and pasted the above quote so they could answer. This is their response.
Quote:

I am not sure I understand their question. If they are asking if you can create RSS feeds on the server through your software, yes you can.

Mighty Gorgon:
Quote:

One is working while the other not... Can't tell why (it may depends on how the feed is configured by the provider), but the Blocks are working fine.

I have gone to the link that you provided and they both are working....

Thanks,

Dave

Page 1 of 1