Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Front Page News Don't Display 

I recently instaleld IP, but for some reason when I post a new thread in the section taht's supposed to feed threads to the front page like the welcome thread - which is automatically posted and is automatically transfered to the front page... well it didnt feed it and i still have only the welcome thread on the front page. How can I fix this?

LiTosSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Front Page News Don't Display 

LiTos wrote: [View Post]
I recently instaleld IP, but for some reason when I post a new thread in the section taht's supposed to feed threads to the front page like the welcome thread - which is automatically posted and is automatically transfered to the front page... well it didnt feed it and i still have only the welcome thread on the front page. How can I fix this?

did you chosed "news" on posting ?

news_1229038292_700042

LimunSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

You may want to try either of these:

forumnews_1224716139_156942
The news [News] block is a good way to show specific topics/posts as news items on your index page.

• First, go to ACP -> News -> News Configuration and enable news posting.
  • Start creating a block on the index page as you normally would, but be sure the block file used is news [News].
  • After customizing the options on the first screen, click Submit to head to the next step in setting up the news [News] block.
  • Number Of News To Display - How many news postings would you like displayed on your index page?
  • Random Or Newest News - Would you like random or newest news to be displayed?
  • Length Of News - 250 characters is the default, but if you'd like all text in the specific topic to be displayed, enter the number zero.  Click Submit when you are finished editing these three fields.

To show your news on the front page, create/edit a topic you would like to post on the index page.  You'll need to select News as the news category, found under POST TOPIC AS and above MESSAGE BODY.

postnews_1224718492_166504

advancednewsindex
The forum attach [Advanced News] block is sometimes confused as the news [News] block because they essentially have the same function; to show topics/posts on your index page.  The forum attach [Advanced News] block is more customizable and has more functionality than the standard news block.  Some people use the forum attach [Advanced News] block as a blog type system.

Let's setup this block on our index page.

• Be sure news posting is enabled in ACP -> News -> News Configuration.
  • Create the block like you would normally create a new block, but be sure the block file is forum attach [Advanced News].
  • After customizing the options on the first screen, click Submit.
     forumattach_1224719127_792669
  • Number Of Posts - How many posts would you like displayed on the index page?
  • Length Of Posts - Just like the news [News] block, 250 characters is the default, but enter the number zero for all characters to be displayed within the block.
  • Post Forum ID's - Which forums would you like to pull news from?  Hover your mouse over the forum you'd like to present on the index page and remember the ID number found at the end of the link.  This number will need to be entered in this field.
  • Ignore Auth View Permission - By enabling this, forums view permissions will be ignored (this is important if you want to use hidden forums with NONE as view permission).
  • Recent Or Random - Would you like recent or random topics to be shown?
  • All Topics Or Only Marked - By selecting ALL TOPICS, all topics will be shown.  Selecting SHOW IN HOME PAGE will require you to tick the box in the specific forum topic you'd like displayed on your page.  You can find this check box under the Message Body field in posts.
  • Retrieve Single Post - By selecting YES, only one post will be shown in this block.
  • Posts ID - Enter a specific post ID to be displayed.
  • Get ID From Address - Enabling this will get the ID directly from address (post_id=XXX).
  • Click Submit when you are finished editing these fields.

ChaoticSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

tmi, LOL, first response did it. Thanks! Funny how stupid I can be sometimes.

LiTosSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

You should definitely try the forum attach [Advanced News] block because it's way better than the regular news [News] block.  

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: SOLVED - Front Page News Don't Display 

Chaotic,

I think it's better, but how can you enable bbcode in Forum Attach block ?

xmenfileSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Well, unless you show the entire post, BBCode mysteriously won't show.  The length of posts is set to 250 characters at default, but if your news post has over 250 characters and is formatted using BBCode, you should set length of posts to 0 or a higher number than 250.

That is the only thing I don't like about the block, but the other great features far outweigh the bad.  

Back to topPage bottom

Chaotic wrote: [View Post]
Well, unless you show the entire post, BBCode mysteriously won't show.  The length of posts is set to 250 characters at default, but if your news post has over 250 characters and is formatted using BBCode, you should set length of posts to 0 or a higher number than 250.

Remember that if your BBCode was opened and closed in first "xxx" chars (lenght) it will be parsed and showed correctly.

Chaotic wrote: [View Post]
That is the only thing I don't like about the block, but the other great features far outweigh the bad.

Sure, I think it's the most completed block, you can do a lot of things with it.

User #379756 on Linux Counter
"If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist!!"

buldoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi There,

Is there a way to time a news item to stop showing at a set time? useful if your news is time sensitive?

Thank
Notyet

notyetSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

notyet wrote: [View Post]
Hi There,

Is there a way to time a news item to stop showing at a set time? useful if your news is time sensitive?

Thank
Notyet

notyet, this is a SOLVED topic. Please open a new thread NOT at the old support topics corner with your question inside it.

TIA.

novice programmerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List