Icy Phoenix

Problem With Pafile_db And Quotes

Article
Reply with quote    Download Post  
Post Problem With Pafile_db And Quotes 

Hi

I recently moved my site to another hosting company, and I found this nasty problem with pafiledb (download page of icyphoenix)

quotes ( ' ) and double quotes ( " ) result in a recursive show off of ( /' ) and ( /" )

Ok, I'm not a coder, anyway I was able to get rid of it in the "long description" (long_desc) of the pafiledb module
with a series of str_replace , anyway, if there is a quote in the title or wherever, the problem reappears and I was not able to fix it in the other files   . The "download/pafiledb" part of the site seems not to be parsed by bbcode

Site is running on PHP version 5.3

with the line

set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);

commented out because the function is deprecated in php 5.3

I can switch it to version 5 (or 4) and leave it untouched, no differences...

in any case I have to set "magic_quotes_gpc" to "on" in order to avoid the problem (the new hosting company has this nice control panel and I don't even need a php.ini ...) , while I've read on the net that this option is better to be left disabled because of nasty scripts that could be passed to the site, so I'm not really happy  

Can someone give me a hint ?

On a side note the uploading of screenshots never worked, I searched and searched and found no solutions (path is ok, 777 etc. etc. , checked everything, it must be something in the code) , the log never said anything, no errors.

Thank you in advance...

tormentor - View user's profile Send private message  
tormentor [ Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:31 ]
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Comments
Post Re: Problem With Pafile_db And Quotes 

Has your server enabled the PHP vars allow_url_include and allow_url_fopen?? You can see if they are enabled in your ACP -> Info -> PHP Info.

Danielc - View user's profile Send private message  
Danielc [ Thu 12 Aug, 2010 01:20 ]

allow_url_fopen    Off
allow_url_include Off

On this server, a local php.ini doesn't work, the parameters that I can change are:

display_errors      
allow_url_fopen     
magic_quotes_gpc     
memory_limit     
max_execution_time (in sec.)     
upload_max_filesize     
max_file_uploads     
extension     
zend_extension

I turned on allow_url_fopen and off  magic_quotes_gpc   and the problem reappeared...
I'll leave the site like that, but because this problem appears only in the download (pafiledb) page I think it has to be updated...

P.S. Ok, browsing the forum I saw that the problem is more general ...

http://www.icyphoenix.com/viewtopic.php?t=7222

tormentor [ Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:03 ]

Unfortunately old Icy Phoenix code was a bit buggy about magic quotes.

I have removed Magic Quotes entirely in latest SVN version.

If you feel confident, I can help you in upgrading your website with latest SVN so you will solve your quotes issues (at least you should) and keep helping in debugging.

Mighty Gorgon - View user's profile Send private message  
Mighty Gorgon [ Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:16 ]

Thank you Luca. I only need the list of the files to compare, if there is a new function I'll add it to the old list.

As I said in the other topic a complete upgrade is problematic because I don't even remember the list of things that I changed in the code   . Something is hard coded for retrocompatibility like the encryption of the passwords, at least, is a (working) mess.

I took the occasion of some days home to swap to a new server and try to solve some issues, but I'm not a coder nor a programmer.

I'll download the SVN and take a look, I've to install a portfolio site on a subdirectory for a friend of mine, meanwhile I'll test it  

BTW if the quotes/double quotes is solved I should be able to find the modifications (maybe...)

tormentor [ Tue 31 Aug, 2010 21:12 ]

Unfortunately it's not just a function, it took me a whole month to fix magic quotes in Icy Phoenix, because it involved all request to global vars like $_POST and $_GET.

If you can share your edits with other users, I'm sure many will appreciate.

Thanks for your time and for reporting here.

Mighty Gorgon - View user's profile Send private message  
Mighty Gorgon [ Tue 31 Aug, 2010 22:47 ]

HideWas this topic useful?