Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Possible Bug - Icy-2.0 News Ticker Not Displaying On FF. 

I noticed that the news tickers does not display the links on FireFox, seems to work fine with Chrome though.

ffss_964

I guess that's what it looks like. Just wanted to let you all know.

HansSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Possible Bug - Icy-2.0 News Ticker Not Displaying On FF. 

I have taken a look on TheSteffen's test board and I can not see the problem there Hans, however on your forum it seems to show for a second (or less) on refresh on both nightly and FF ..all other main browsers look just fine (opera, safari, explorer 64/32)

PS .. if i start clicking fast before they apear where I expect them to apear for this short time with FF I can even go to a random news link  

Maybe you have a modification causing this?

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Looking a bit deeper on your page...

W3C can not check the url

W3C wrote: 
Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 288 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.

The error was: utf8 "\xD7" does not map to Unicode

Line 288 just happens to be the ticker!

Now if I copy your source code and paste it to W3C I get these results:
Spoiler: [ Show ]

As you can see in this last error report this same line 288 pops up quite alot.
I hope this helps a little  

EDIT:
Personally I would start by removing the funny sign in:
 Kingston HyperX Genesis 4�4 GB DDR3-2133 RAM Review

Edited by Joshua203, Thu 02 Feb, 2012 08:11: typo corrections
Edited by Joshua203, Thu 02 Feb, 2012 08:14: more typo's
Back to topPage bottom

That character is just from the feed being displayed, I will change the feed for you to something that will show up correctly.

Only modifications done to the original 1.3.27.80 (2.0 beta 2) are in the following two files.
Spoiler: [ Show ]

Ok, I changed the feed that is being displayed. this is what the settings look like.
 screenshot_at_2012_02_02_06_03_01

And just so you know, this is not a problem for me, I am just reporting errors that I find.  

EDIT: (inc. side-by-side Chrome FF)
 screenshot_at_2012_02_02_06_07_47

Back to topPage bottom

Well at least W3C is now accepting to test by url again (30 errors now) EDIT ..sorry (15 errors, 3 warnings)

I think it would pay if you would have a close look at those, for example...

this:
Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
</body>
<p><a href="http://mirror.hfase.com">mirror.hfase.com</a>&nbsp;<a href="http://www.gplforum.com">www.gplforum.com</a>&nbsp;<a href="http://hfase.com">hfase.com</a></p>
</html>

can't be right can it?

Validating by url should be posible to get validated 100%, by pasting the source to W3C I'm not sure

Back to topPage bottom

You caught me   I removed that piece of code, cleared cache.. Did not make a difference though, the scrolling links in the "news ticker" still disappear when viewed with FF.

So now the only modification to the original code is the one Mort had me do in the post contained in the following link. http://www.icyphoenix.com/show_post.php?p=55085

Back to topPage bottom

Well it's not about catching you (but you know that) and I would not dare judging Mort's code suggestion (I can't run fast enough to get myself in a safe place   )

I also did not expect the removal to fix this issue but I just used it to point out the page isn't flawless

Still thinking ... "why doesn't he reply to validating the page and the errors that will pop up?"

It's probably not the case that you have to fix 15 errors ... often fixing one error will repair  multiple (for example: when you forget to close a tag it will cause more errors after that piece of code)

I know you told me that you don't care about the ticker and it's not important but I can almost assure you this problem is only showing you that something is wrong somewhere and it may cause (or already is causing) other problems too.

W3C can be a pain at times but it most certainly is your friend for cleaning your code

Back to topPage bottom

Joshua203 wrote: [View Post]
Well it's not about catching you (but you know that) and I would not dare judging Mort's code suggestion (I can't run fast enough to get myself in a safe place   )

I also did not expect the removal to fix this issue but I just used it to point out the page isn't flawless

Still thinking ... "why doesn't he reply to validating the page and the errors that will pop up?"

It's probably not the case that you have to fix 15 errors ... often fixing one error will repair  multiple (for example: when you forget to close a tag it will cause more errors after that piece of code)

I know you told me that you don't care about the ticker and it's not important but I can almost assure you this problem is only showing you that something is wrong somewhere and it may cause (or already is causing) other problems too.

W3C can be a pain at times but it most certainly is your friend for cleaning your code

You are very correct, I don't mind this. In fact I loathe FireFox almost more than IE.
Mort brought up a very valid point recently though that we should look for errors in features that we don't use or may not think are important. With IcyPhoenix being the awesome piece of work that you all have contributed to I felt I should at least show the respect of saying something about this error.

Off Topic
:
I would have mentioned the validation, however the last couple days I have been busy re-building my Drupal site. (added way to much crap)  
I am done with that though, along with compiling my-own coustom BFS Linux 3.0.0-14-server-ck kernel for my server,     Installed node.js and memcached and a few other naughty things.

I will go through the "forum.php" page and it's dependency's to chase off as many errors as I can though. I also did not think the links at the very bottom mattered, but I preach "scientific theory".

If I can get it to validate at least, my next step will be figuring out how to use GitHub. Right now I only have a vague understanding of how to develop using Git.

Back to topPage bottom

Hans wrote: [View Post]
In fact I loathe FireFox almost more than IE.

Then you don't want to know I'm one of the few idiots who's using IE as main browser  

Mort brought up a very valid point recently though that we should look for errors in features that we don't use or may not think are important.

True and yes he made some valid points but I also think he mentioned testing on clean installs

With IcyPhoenix being the awesome piece of work that you all have contributed to I felt I should at least show the respect of saying something about this error.

Very much appreciated Hans  

I will go through the "forum.php" page and it's dependency's to chase off as many errors as I can though.

When you do, just try not to start at the top of the list but start (high up) with some obvious errors ( for example the not closed tags ), it could save you from trying to fix the consequences of other mistakes.

I also did not think the links at the very bottom mattered, but I preach "scientific theory".

I just noticed it was at a weird position, so it was an easy example

Goodluck chasing the bugs Hans, have a great weekend,
...Joshua203

PS .. about GIT ..I'm glad most of the time I can find the download button  

Back to topPage bottom

Maybe have a look at templates/default/overall_header.tpl , overall_inc_header.tpl and overall_inc_header_js.tpl

same with footer, to close off

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I will do that.     

Off Topic
:
Been a little busy (fatal server user error) I about got my machine back to normal though...

Soon as my machine is normal again though I will check things out with a "fine tooth comb", I almost think I should get the hang of GitHub first though so I can just fork and apply any changes I find.

Back to topPage bottom

It is a BUG! But do read this whole post BEFORE you start changing things.

When you edit Edit existing XML News Feed It doesn't POST the info to the DB - In fact it strips the existing columns and leaves them empty.

Anyway, below should fix it until MG gets around to fixing the real problem of the script not being submitted.

#########################

default\blocks\xs_news_block.tpl

Line 30:

Find:
                     <marquee name="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" id="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" behavior="scroll" direction="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_SCROLL_DIR}" scrollamount="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_SPEED}" loop="true" onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_CONTENTS}</marquee>

Replace With: (Lets give it some height, width and speed).

<marquee name="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" id="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" behavior="scroll" direction="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_SCROLL_DIR}" scrolldelay="100" scrollamount="4" width="98%" height="12" loop="true" onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_CONTENTS}</marquee>

templates\default\xs_news_banner.tpl

Line 31:

Find:
                    <marquee name="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" id="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" behavior="scroll" direction="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_SCROLL_DIR}" scrollamount="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_SPEED}" loop="true" onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_CONTENTS}</marquee>

Replace With:

<marquee name="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" id="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_ID}" behavior="scroll" direction="{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_SCROLL_DIR}" scrolldelay="100" scrollamount="4" width="98%" height="12" loop="true" onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">{news_ticker_row.XS_NEWS_TICKER_CONTENTS}</marquee>

OR JUST THIS ONE  - - - - DON'T DO BOTH THIS AND THE TPL'S!

/adm/admin_xs_news_xml.php

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
Find:

case 'modxml':
            // Modify a news ticker in the DB
            $xml_feed = xsm_prepare_message($xml_feed);

$sql = "UPDATE " . XS_NEWS_XML_TABLE . "
                SET xml_title = '" . $db->sql_escape(request_post_var($_POST['xml_title'], '', true)) . "', xml_show = " . intval($_POST['xml_show']) . ", xml_feed = '" . $db->sql_escape($xml_feed) . "', xml_is_feed = '" . intval($_POST['xml_is_feed']) . "', xml_width = '" . $db->sql_escape(request_post_var($_POST['xml_width'], '')). "', xml_height = '" . $db->sql_escape(request_post_var($_POST['xml_height'], '')). "', xml_font = '" . $db->sql_escape(request_post_var($_POST['xml_font'], '')). "', xml_speed = '" . $db->sql_escape(request_post_var($_POST['xml_speed'], '')). "', xml_direction = " . intval($_POST['xml_direction']). "
                WHERE xml_id = " . intval($_POST['id']);
            $result = $db->sql_query($sql);
            $db->clear_cache('xs_');

$message = $lang['n_xml_news_updated'] . '<br /><br />' . sprintf($lang['n_xml_click_return_newslist'], '<a href="' . append_sid('admin_xs_news_xml.' . PHP_EXT) . '">', '</a>') . '<br /><br />' . sprintf($lang['Click_return_admin_index'], '<a href="' . append_sid('index.' . PHP_EXT . '?pane=right') . '">', '</a>');

message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $message);

break;

Replace With:

case 'modxml':

// Modify a news ticker in the DB
            $xml_feed = xsm_prepare_message($xml_feed);

$sql = "UPDATE " . XS_NEWS_XML_TABLE . "
                SET xml_title = '" . $db->sql_escape($_POST['xml_title'], '', true) . "', xml_show = " . intval($_POST['xml_show']) . ", xml_feed = '" . $db->sql_escape($xml_feed) . "', xml_is_feed = '" . intval($_POST['xml_is_feed']) . "', xml_width = '" . $db->sql_escape($_POST['xml_width'], ''). "', xml_height = '" . $db->sql_escape($_POST['xml_height'], ''). "', xml_font = '" . $db->sql_escape($_POST['xml_font'], ''). "', xml_speed = '" . $db->sql_escape($_POST['xml_speed'], ''). "', xml_direction = " . intval($_POST['xml_direction']). "
                WHERE xml_id = " . intval($_POST['id']);
            $result = $db->sql_query($sql);
            $db->clear_cache('xs_');

$message = $lang['n_xml_news_updated'] . '<br /><br />' . sprintf($lang['n_xml_click_return_newslist'], '<a href="' . append_sid('admin_xs_news_xml.' . PHP_EXT) . '">', '</a>') . '<br /><br />' . sprintf($lang['Click_return_admin_index'], '<a href="' . append_sid('index.' . PHP_EXT . '?pane=right') . '">', '</a>');

message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $message);

break;

Then you will have to go to Admin and edit the News-Tickers for font size and speed.

########################

Also in the forum.php the html shows:

<p class="forum-buttons2" style="height: 17px; valign: middle;">

valign is not recognised in style/css.

<p class="forum-buttons2" style="height: 17px; vertical-align: middle;">

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML