Icy Phoenix

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Re: Site Slow 

Hi Mort,

I'm hosted by Webcity out of Sydney Australia.

the plan is .95AU per month

http://hosting.webcity.com.au/business-pro5pack.php

I've never been happy with them, but unfortunately unless I up my skills I'm not sure I have the ability to set up on another host and transfer the data over...maybe its easier than I think??? whenever I go to them its always my problem not theirs.

they have done this to me before, three months in we were chugging and I moved to the next level of hosting..and it improved dramatically... we have coincidentally three months before our 12 month contract is up... have they flicked a switch???

I was wondering about disabling the site to see if the CPU usage drops to ZERO?

thanks for your responses, appreciated heaps. the users just want it fixed, just as well its a non profit site..

ZAG..results of tests below

Tracing route to hdoz.org.au [116.0.23.240]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     1 ms     2 ms  mygateway1.ar7 [10.1.1.1]

2    27 ms    35 ms    26 ms  172.18.213.9

3    27 ms    27 ms    26 ms  172.18.70.130

4    68 ms    36 ms   259 ms  172.18.241.229

5    29 ms    35 ms    35 ms  bundle-ether10.woo9.brisbane.telstra.net [203.45.53.229]

6    28 ms    31 ms    27 ms  bundle-e2.cha45.brisbane.telstra.net [203.50.44.33]

7    29 ms    30 ms    27 ms  bundle-ether2.cha-core4.brisbane.telstra.net [203.50.44.13]

8    28 ms    27 ms    28 ms  tengigabitethernet7-1.cha30.brisbane.telstra.net [203.50.51.40]

9    27 ms    27 ms    26 ms  aaptli2.lnk.telstra.net [139.130.64.98]

10    40 ms    40 ms    43 ms  te2-4.bqueedist02.aapt.net.au [202.10.14.16]

11    40 ms    39 ms    40 ms  te2-1-110.bqueedist01.aapt.net.au [202.10.12.144]

12    40 ms    40 ms    39 ms  te0-3-4-0.bqueecore01.aapt.net.au [202.10.12.19]

13    41 ms    39 ms    39 ms  te0-0-1-0.sglebcore01.aapt.net.au [202.10.10.67]

14    40 ms    39 ms    40 ms  te2-2.sglebdist01.aapt.net.au [202.10.12.6]

15    44 ms    42 ms    39 ms  1-1-1.sglebinte01.aapt.net.au [203.131.60.39]

16    39 ms    40 ms    46 ms  ipll-5020733-50.gw.aapt.com.au [203.174.191.50]

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18    39 ms    40 ms    39 ms  hdoz.org.au [116.0.23.240]

Trace complete.

Pinging hdoz.org.au [116.0.23.240] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 116.0.23.240: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=51

Reply from 116.0.23.240: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=51

Reply from 116.0.23.240: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=51

Reply from 116.0.23.240: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 116.0.23.240:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 39ms

what that means... is beyond me I'm afraid????

Last edited by zag on Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:36; edited 1 time in total 
zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

You were supposed to trace and ping your site..

So you can edit your last post and remove all of that stuff.

Anyway,

Google: webcity cpu hosting problems and other keywords

Because I don't intend to give them too much space.

You are not alone..... And these are just two of the mediocre complaints.

jag wrote: 
They have done this to me before, three months in we were chugging and I moved to the next level of hosting..and it improved dramatically.

And this regularly appears to be their solution as a way of providing a better service.

It used to be bandwidth apparently - now it's CPU?

Quote:
February 27, 2012    Worst Service EVER!
Webcity has by far the worst customer support in the industry and its not even close. I honestly have no idea how they are still in business. I transferred all my domains away from them as every time I tried to put a new website up they would change the CNAMES and DNS and the site would no longer be displayed. You have to contact them a minimum of 8 times (this is no exaggeration) and call them another 8 times to follow up (again, no exaggeration) before anything is fixed. Do yourself a favour [...]

November 5, 2012    Site goes down often, will be down for upto 4 days. 24/7 support is advertised, however this is...
Site goes down often, will be down for upto 4 days. 24/7 support is advertised, however this is just someone answering the phone. Found some of the support staff incredibly rude, especially Anthony. Do not go near this very average host.

Why are you on a AUS website, unless it's a business deduction? Most run on bare-bones resources or are extremely expensive in comparison to our Yankee friends.

Edit:

Not sure how many times I read where the stock answer was "Your programme uses too many resources and needs to be trimmed" etc - - > No prizes for the guessing the other option on how to rectify it.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks Mort,

I re-ran the tests and edited the thread..goto say it didnt make any sense at the time???

So looks like I need to look for another host and get the site set up and transfer over the data.

being a fellow Aussie by the looks and obviously realising I am a dumb Harley rider helping out my fellow brothers... care to make a suggestion an an alternative. silly me though .au domains were hosted on .au servers I suppose???

thanks again for your input..makes more sense why a 9 month old site suddenly slows up.

ZAG

zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

The test results for you were actually good. But that's not quite the same as using it as it looks for response holes in the route.

As for the rest.

Yes, It wasn't encouraging reading.

If I had a choice, I would use iinet.net.au, and be a "faithful Aussie" - But there lies the problem - Great IP, but as an AUSSIE ISP all plans that require any MySQL are Business Plans that start about  a month for X services. And for what I'm doing at the moment 6GB of files, and more MySQL than I'll ever need, I'd probably be looking at about 0 a month. And most other AUSSIE ISP are about on par - last time I looked.

I don't even pay that a year - - -

And while I don't usually recommend any ISP because of the obvious twit answers about who they use (Probably re-sellers anyway) and who's the best - I try to avoid it.

But after many disappointments in my time - I use http://www.bluehost.com/

And they are one of the few who will refund (Pro-Rata) on cancellation, no ifs or buts - And I better stop sounding like I'm selling something.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

thanks Mort, I asked for the info..so no "selling" issues at all I appreciate your candor.

we only have a few months left  and a group of us share the costs, so I'll look at setting up IPv2 on another site and see how i go transferring all the data over..sounds easy but I suspect it might not be... maybe a good blog for MG to use to show how easy it can be     

still looking for the silver bullet if anyone's got one..I actually have a real job the forum is just a job I ended up with

zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

zag wrote: [View Post]
So I'll look at setting up IPv2 on another site and see how i go transferring all the data over..sounds easy but I suspect it might not be.

It is easy, but I wouldn't do both transfer and upgrade at the same time. Transfer what you have - settle it down first.

I also doubt that hdoz.org.au could be used on a US server.

Me, I would be looking for new space soon and putting a re-direct in hdoz.org.au/.htaccess to redirect hdoz.org.au to ???

And if you decide to move early and are a bit iffy - Start a new topic "How to move site and database to a new domain"

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hey Mort,

again good advice...

I have IP on a subdomain and a diversion on he main hdoz domain. so I can set up on a different subdomain and simply get it up and running and change the diversion.

I cant be the only one who is nervous changing over so it might be a very healthy thread to have..I'm just pessimistic with this stuff..its just never quite reads right.

I'm already looking at other hosts but I figure I have three months to make the decision..

thanks again..where are you based? you need to become an honorary hdoz member!

zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I cant be the only one who is nervous changing over so it might be a very healthy thread to have..I'm just pessimistic with this stuff..its just never quite reads right.

I'll give you how hard it is.

If you change ISP and you can retain hdoz.org.au - Then you upload the whole shebang as is - create a Db on your "New" host and import your existing Db into that.

Open /config.php and edit the DBname, username and Password to reflect your new Db connection strings.

If you have to have a "new" DNS like hdoz.org you would edit a copy of your db and search and replace ALL hdoz.org.au with hdoz.org - No more and no less - - No http://'s www's - - - - NO Nothing.

And in the Db Dump ip_config - (if you're in the root of the public folder) "sitepath would be /

Or if you've uploaded the whole shebang to a folder the sitepath would be /WHERE-DID-YOU-PUT-IT/

Not as complicated as a Major Overhaul on a Harley - even with a sidecar...

Edit:

And I would clear all the cache's of everything but the .htaccess and index.html's - Before I even uploaded it.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hey Mort,

Are you sure you wouldn't  love to come over for BBQ..as your already speaking Swahili but I'm printing it out as a how to do..so I'll annoy the crap out of you or you can just give me a hand?????

seriously, thanks for your help...I'm a self taught 50YO with a Telecom (before Telstra) background... so I'm struggling a little (I'm sure you can tell)

thanks again,

Andrew

zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hey Mort,

Are you sure you wouldn't  love to come over for BBQ..as your already speaking Swahili but I'm printing it out as a how to do..so I'll annoy the crap out of you or you can just give me a hand?????

seriously, thanks for your help...I'm a self taught 50YO with a Telecom (before Telstra) background... so I'm struggling a little (I'm sure you can tell)

thanks again,

Andrew

Stop printing.  

1. I'm in Adelaide.
2. I was riding a Triumph 650 Thunderbird before you were even born.
3. Believe me, I'm not much fun at a bar-b-q any more - Something about medication and alcohol not mixing well.

And you don't have to annoy the crap out of me because moving you to another server would be a breeze, and not even your members would know about it unless you told them.

For interest I asked Bluehost (Could have been anyone else too I suppose)

Quote:
Chat ID: 13758. Question: Provider: Bluehost - My Domain is: "bitzagames.com"

Fella's, Girls, I'll make this short. I have a mate who I've suggested to that he move his site to bluehost but his domain is hdoz.org.au Can the DNS hdoz.org.au be used on your servers or not?
(7:07:08am)System:Customer has entered chat and is waiting for an agent.
(7:10:24am)Peter T.:Hello David
(7:10:50am)Peter T.:It can be hosted on our servers, just not registered with our registrar
(7:14:24am)David:So what you are saying is that he can keep the .au DNS registered with some other, or his current registrar but still use it and point it to your servers.
(7:15:07am)Peter T.:That is correct

Too Easy........  

Edit:

Bit more info!  

And in case you didn't know or knew?

http://www.whoismydomain.com.au/whois/hdoz.org.au

Enetica is your Registrar

And you should be able to deal with them directly to keep hdoz.org.au registered.

Edit 2:

But on second thoughts, I've been thinking about going to a .au DNS too (True-Blue Stuff) and did some looking around.

enetica.com.au - bitzagames.com.au .00 2yr

crazydomains.com.au - bitzagames.com.au   2yr

Jeez, mate have you been suckered by some rip-off merchants or what?.  

I also just found out it's not quite that easy to get an .au domain only for personal use - probably why I never did it before.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

this finally turned up, when they told me I was at 300% I asked what is my allowance then

________________________________________________________________________________________

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with a numerical value, only percentage of total "allocation".
It appears to have dropped to 247% now which is still above the allowed 100%.

The only hosting account with greater CPU than your current plan is the Cloud Server EX, which has double the allocation, but can burst another four times momentarily if necessary.

Cloud Server EX plan information here:
http://hosting.webcity.com.au/privateserver-ex.php
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Going to put a clean copy of v2 on the site later today and work out with my mate Mort   how to transfer over the data.

thanks for all the help.

ZAG

zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot provide you with a numerical value, only percentage of total "allocation".
It appears to have dropped to 247% now which is still above the allowed 100%.

Of course they can't because they cram too many people on the same shared server, and the more there are, the more and more your allocation of resources drops.

In simple terms 100% of available processor divided by 100 users = 1% allocation each - And that 1% is "your" 100% allowance - Need I say more?

GoDaddy did the same thing to the point where one would get error messages "The server is busy - Please try again later", and even if you got on, you were battling to hold the server against time-outs.

One IT Reporter wrote a "scathing" report on GoDaddy at the time, and I don't know if it ever improved, because I had been long gone from there and never went back.

Quote:
The only hosting account with greater CPU than your current plan is the Cloud Server EX, which has double the allocation, but can burst another four times momentarily if necessary.

Spending more money with them will fix all of your problems - depends on as a NFPO how much you want to donate to an ISP just to run a forum.

Quote:
Going to put a clean copy of v2 on the site later today and work out with my mate Mort   how to transfer over the data.

Putting Icy Phoenix v2* on your current plan IMHO is not going to fix your problem, it may use slightly less resources, but it certainly ain't no magic bullet.

Also my friend, I've been here a long time since Icy Phoenix was v1*17 and not always as Mort (Long Story) and I drew a line under v2, when it became the next "Official" release because it's time I was less involved here, and that's why you don't see me answering any questions about installing or upgrading it. But there are others here who will certainly help if you were to start a new thread on anything you get stuck with.

I don't even have a running copy of it any more to be honest.

Quote:
thanks for all the help.

You're welcome, it's been a nice diversion from something else I was spending far too much time on.

And for the benefit of others who may read this thread.

Some people think that their domain name is attached to their ISP and is part of the whole hosting package.

It's not, it's yours - and irrespective of whether you have an hosting account or NOT, you must always be given access to the domain name to manage it - To lock/unlock it, park it,  transfer it to another registrar, auto or manually renew it and more importantly point it to any server that you have opened an account with - even point it to GoDaddy (Perish the bloody thought)

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi Mort,

I agree completely but getting V2 seems a natural progression and will build my confidence to move the who thing elswhere

will start up the new thread for sure.

ZAG

zagSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

It's too often that hosting packages just register domains as themselves, to hook you to them :(.

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi Mort,
I agree completely but getting V2 seems a natural progression and will build my confidence to move the whole thing elsewhere.
ZAG

Sounds like the plan to me...

Just download your whole existing forum and a backup of your Db and LOCK THEM IN A VAULT before you start, and make copies to play with. Even this little black duck has screwed up something fierce at times and paid the penalty for not doing just that.  

Still damn well do it too at times - then spend ages fixing things because I forgot to cross the T's or dot the I's, or something else was overlooked.  

Informpro wrote: [View Post]
It's too often that hosting packages just register domains as themselves, to hook you to them :(.

Particularly with free sub-domains and use your site to increase their advertising space and revenue  

I think Zag's a bit smarter than that. Or at least I hope he his - - - - - BOOM!  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List