Icy Phoenix

[Solved] New Post By 'seasoned' Users Only For A 'buy, Sell Or Exchange' Forum

Article
Reply with quote    Download Post  
Post [Solved] New Post By 'seasoned' Users Only For A 'buy, Sell Or Exchange' Forum 

Hello all,

I haven't been able to find information regarding this specific problem concerning a 'buy, sell or exchange' forum: for this forum I want only seasoned users (say signed up for a month, with 10 posts made) to be able to create a new topic, but any user should be able to reply to a topic in this same forum.

We've had a spate of semi-professional sellers who simply sign up, and then flood this forum with goods for sale, and I want to stop it without hindering our genuine users too much.

TIA,

John

Last edited by jhl on Sun 27 Jan, 2013 00:54; edited 1 time in total 
jhl - View user's profile Send private message  
jhl [ Sat 26 Jan, 2013 14:24 ]
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Comments
Post Re: New Post By 'seasoned' Users Only For A 'buy, Sell Or Exchange' Forum 

Create a group that automatically allows user by how old they are + number of post and only allow that group to create topics ?
Although I think this kind of group acceptance has cache issues ? /ping MG.

Informpro - View user's profile Send private message  
Informpro [ Sat 26 Jan, 2013 20:40 ]
Post Re: New Post By 'seasoned' Users Only For A 'buy, Sell Or Exchange' Forum 

Thank you for that, Informpro. I can see how I can create a group and set the number of posts, but I don't see how I can set an 'age' as well - though I can probably live without that part.

In what sense would caching be a problem? There is a 'staff' group and relative forum already on the site, and I've not come across any problems, as a staff user or as a normal user or as an anonymous user.

(I didn't know how that worked until you posted your reply, then I checked it out)

Looks like that will be my solution, so I'll set the topic as solved.

Thanks again,

John

jhl [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 00:49 ]
Post Re: [Solved] New Post By 'seasoned' Users Only For A 'buy, Sell Or Exchange' Forum 

Yeah John,

Age is an "if they use their real age" problem, so it's probably not even worth considering.

But what about a quick and dirty argument string added to where user auth's are checked for posting threads etc?

Not Icy code, not anyone's for that matter - Just a line of thought.

if(users posts not <= 10 or users age(empty or <= 130) {don't allow them to start a thread}else{blah

It's rough - but probably worth exploring - otherwise you have to start adding users to groups?

mort - View user's profile Send private message  
mort [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 10:27 ]
Post Re: [Solved] New Post By 'seasoned' Users Only For A 'buy, Sell Or Exchange' Forum 

I meant on how old they are ... On the forum, like if they're been registered 1 month ago or only a week ago etc.

Checking user's age is not something we can do anyway LOL

Last edited by Informpro on Sun 27 Jan, 2013 13:22; edited 1 time in total 
Informpro [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 10:42 ]

Yeah,

It's funny how one starts a forum and wants everyone to join in. and then come along the idiots and you have to do things to stop them from "joining in".

mort [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 11:15 ]

Informpro wrote: [View Post]
I meant on how they are ... On the forum, like if they're been registered 1 month ago or only a week ago etc.

Checking user's age is not something we can do anyway LOL

Exactly. I don't think I need to know if someone is over 18, just that he/she registered say at least one month ago. But that option doesn't seem available using groups.
Is it something that would be required? If so I could publish a patch for it on Github...

mort wrote: [View Post]
Yeah,

It's funny how one starts a forum and wants everyone to join in. and then come along the idiots and you have to do things to stop them from "joining in".

Agreed. I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world, but for a hobby site which has a reasonable reputation developed over the years, having pro or semi-pro sellers come along and flood the site with 'buy from me, I'm Honest Joe' messages really makes my blood boil... Doesn't happen often, but when it does, plenty of users complain, or worse, some fall for it...

John

jhl [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 13:25 ]

IDK, TBH I remembered something like that for ranks but maybe not for groups.

Informpro [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 15:10 ]

mort wrote: [View Post]
<snip>
if(users posts not <= 10 or users age(empty or <= 130) {don't allow them to start a thread}else{blah

It's rough - but probably worth exploring - otherwise you have to start adding users to groups?

I just tested using a group and setting a number of posts (50) - works automagically! Users with more than 50 posts are automatically added to the group, fortunately  

John

jhl [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 18:54 ]

Well I'm glad you worked something out, because my next suggestion would have been to look at the Stats scripts for some ideas to create an argument for the time on-board.

mort [ Sun 27 Jan, 2013 22:15 ]

HideWas this topic useful?