Icy Phoenix

Migrate From Icy 2.0 To Phpbb3 ¿how To?

Article
Reply with quote    Download Post  
Post Migrate From Icy 2.0 To Phpbb3 ¿how To? 

How I can migrate to phpbb3??

Thanks, i would like to taste phpbb3

Anakin - View user's profile Send private message  
Anakin [ Tue 09 Apr, 2013 00:12 ]
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Comments
Post Re: Migrate From Icy 2.0 To Phpbb3 ¿how To? 

Stupid question to ask!  

"How do I abandon you people and go somewhere else"?

I do believe that phpbb.com has a conversion script that will allow you to do just that and that's where your question belongs.

So why don't you ask this question (Or search the conversion scripts) "How do I convert from Icy Phoenix" at phpbb.com

Edit:

And having said all of that, I do understand the motive for your question - just a silly place to ask it.

mort - View user's profile Send private message  
mort [ Wed 10 Apr, 2013 15:05 ]

I ask here beacause maybe the creator of code, could help me.

In other forums they dont know anything. they don't know how do it.

I am from Spain and the support of icy phoenix will be closed as you can see here: http://www.icyphoenix.es/icy-phoeni...html?highlight=

My forum was phpBB XS, thne icy phooenix and now I want to try Other kind of forum. Is it bad? Is it wrong?

I think that creator of Icy Phoenix should be help that user could change.

It was awsome!! and it means that he is a great contributor with forums.

The same that many people try IP if they can change again to PHPBB3 easyly.

Anakin - View user's profile Send private message  
Anakin [ Wed 10 Apr, 2013 16:10 ]

Ofcourse you are free to ask, but what amazes me.. is that you knew about wanting to convert a long time already, why did you upgrade? (I read the phpbb thread you fail to mention )

BTW... I don't speak spannish but all I read in the thread at icy.es is that they are talking about how to keep it alive!!

Joshua203 - View user's profile Send private message  
Joshua203 [ Fri 12 Apr, 2013 00:55 ]

Anakin wrote: [View Post]
The same that many people try IP if they can change again to PHPBB3 easily.

What rubbish!

So what you are suggesting is that if you decide to switch to MyBB for example, people there should help you make the switch, and if you then decide that you don't want to use MyBB any more - They have to help you switch to any other forum software that you may fancy because you would like to "try" it.

People who write other forum software generally write conversion scripts to convert to "THEIR" forum software - And "NOT" write conversions back to other forum software.

IF! phpBB.com wants to convert people from Icy Phoenix, MyBB, SMF, IPB or any other forum software to their "OWN" - Then they create the scripts to do it.

For example:

[http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system]

[http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_do_I_convert_from]

And all of the "other" forum software creators usually provide something similar to do the same thing.

I know for a fact that phpBB.com has a thread that deals with migrating from Icy Phoenix to phpBB*

HAVE YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO LOOK FOR IT?

mort [ Fri 12 Apr, 2013 14:39 ]

I've said it before somewhere but "a stupid question is the one never asked" IMHO Mort.
Eventhough you are right about who should provide the convert method, we might be able to assist

mort wrote: [View Post]
I know for a fact that phpBB.com has a thread that deals with migrating from Icy Phoenix to phpBB*

HAVE YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO LOOK FOR IT?

As mentioned in my earlier post...
Yes Anakin has been in that thread for a long time.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1311605

I think Anakin is really looking for a way to downgrade to 1.3 to be able to use the phpbb convertor (which is why I asked why Anakin has upgraded in the first place, looking at the date of his first post there I'm supprised about that to say the least).

Joshua203 - View user's profile Send private message  
Joshua203 [ Fri 12 Apr, 2013 17:04 ]

Joshua203 wrote: [View Post]
We might be able to assist

Well this my friend is generally where I lose it and starting asking myself "What am I/are we supporting here"?

Icy Phoenix, phpBB or both?

I may not need to answer or respond to any of these types of questions, but then I would have to ask myself "what am I doing here in the first place if I don't"?

But I must admit that over a period of time some people have adopted the attitude that Icy Phoenix is either a phpBB plug-in/MOD or is a part of phpBB3 itself - Or just a free-for-all irrespective of what Icy Phoenix actually is.

And who can blame them when this whole phpBB/IP concept of them being married together is being promoted as that's what we are supposedly here for.

I'm not.  

mort [ Fri 12 Apr, 2013 18:01 ]

Dear mort, I'm very sad this frustrates you so much. If I had the time or assistance needed to start everything from scratch, I would have done it a lot of time ago. Unfortunately this is not the case. My time is very limited, and as you can see only very few people are still willing to contribute here. If Icy Phoenix wasn't linked to phpBB core code I wouldn't have started Icy Phoenix at all. Creating templates for phpBB also allows me to be updated with phpBB core code... and why I can't mantain support of those styles here? It would be quite ridiculous to open a dedicated support website only for 6/7 styles in my opinion. At the moment Icy Phoenix is still linked to phpBB... like it or not.

Even if I agree with your point that users should refer to the "target" software for upgrade procedures, we cannot blame them just for asking... why not just pointing them to the right direction?

Of course I'm not happy to see users leaving, but I understand that Icy Phoenix is slowly "dying" because of the lack of new development and support. Unfortunately I'm not able to dedicate too much time to this project in this period... what shall I do? Close the website?

Mighty Gorgon - View user's profile Send private message  
Mighty Gorgon [ Sun 21 Apr, 2013 23:17 ]

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

Of course I'm not happy to see users leaving, but I understand that Icy Phoenix is slowly "dying" because of the lack of new development and support.

its not dying its waiting and resting.
Icy is a baby in comparison with the phpbb3 , smf vB ecc... so it need time i think.
Yes there are no much support and there are no much devolpers to help you (i m sorry that i m not common with php and devolping   )
Also icy is so good with so many features , easly system of ACP (ex: permmisions , on icy so easy , but on phpbb3 for me so complicated ecc)

So Icy need time  

Limun - View user's profile Send private message  
Limun [ Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:11 ]

I used ICY for many years from little to big projects. I think it is one of the best forum and CMS systems. Mighty Gorgon and the supporters do a great job. It is unbelievable how you realize new technical possibilities and do steps which are followed from projects like VBulletin many months after ICY.
So I think ICY won't die. I agree with Limun. Icy needs time.

I had to change my projects into PHPBB in hope to upgrade anytime to ICY again. My disadvantage is that I have not enough time to re-new all the design, language files and other things with every new version of ICY. It is also dangerously for my big projects to make big system upgrades. But I still follow ICY and test it anyway with every new update.

I believe into open source and your way Mighty. But if you would make a parallel project to ICY including ICY for a payment forum system ( ) just to invest more efforts and time into the project, I became your first customer.

Sorry, a little bit off topic but I need to write it.

Last edited by SAypar on Thu 13 Jun, 2013 12:30; edited 1 time in total 
SAypar - View user's profile Send private message  
SAypar [ Fri 31 May, 2013 11:49 ]

Many thanks for your feedback, I appreciate.

Mighty Gorgon - View user's profile Send private message  
Mighty Gorgon [ Thu 13 Jun, 2013 01:45 ]

HideWas this topic useful?