Icy Phoenix

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Re: What About A Medal MOD For Icy 2.0? 

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Sarakin wrote: [View Post]
Well, then. First: "I can't believe it". Second: There's a lot of "garbage" features that are used by a small group of users too, and still are in the core of Icy.

1. Show me at least 10 Icy Phoenix websites using this mod.
  2. Please list all the features you think are Garbage which have been added into Icy Phoenix 2.0.

I think you will discover that only few users are really using this mod, and that in Icy Phoenix 2.0 I didn't add any particular new feature... I have rather removed some of the features in benefit of plugins system.

Just my personal opinion on this subject, I agree instead of recoding icy to a newer version remove mods that have been added to the core and make them as an available plug ins..

Then you have a cms, forum/blog and everything else a user can choose to add themselves....

Off Topic
:
If I eventually figure out how the plug in system works I will make mods for it, but until a plug in is made that I can compare with an original mod sadly I cannot see how it works.

IcyPhoenix UK is off-line permanently due to lack of time to update mods.
if anyone is interested in my templates I will upgrade them to Icy 2.0.

DWhoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Sarakin wrote: [View Post]
Well, then. First: "I can't believe it". Second: There's a lot of "garbage" features that are used by a small group of users too, and still are in the core of Icy.

1. Show me at least 10 Icy Phoenix websites using this mod.
  2. Please list all the features you think are Garbage which have been added into Icy Phoenix 2.0.

I think you will discover that only few users are really using this mod, and that in Icy Phoenix 2.0 I didn't add any particular new feature... I have rather removed some of the features in benefit of plugins system.

I don't want to start a tough argue about this, and obviously I'm not gonna look for 10 sites using the medal MOD, although mine and portalpez are already two of them. About "garbage" features, I don't want to name them either because maybe they're useful for others. My only point is that Medal MOD is funny and, believe it or not, encourages people to cooperate with our sites. It would be a pity to lose this great MOD because the new core versions of Icy. One of the candies which Icy offers comparing with other softs is that its core gather a lot of features that other softs require a separate installment (MOD), so why not the medal one.

Ivory Tower URL: : http://www.torredemarfil.es/foro/ Version: 2.0

SarakinSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I wonder if it would pay if you would try implemneting it on a test install and see how far you get?

BTW if Portalpez is using it I would n't be too worried about loosing it   I'd even be suprised if nobody would have a look when Portalpez wouldn't.

Garbage mod? >>> the trash bin is the only one I can think of  

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

One has to be honest, and leave aside the politics.

A Bulletin Board is primarily a discussion board, and anything other than the basic requirements to enhance it should be either a MOD or a plug-in, as most other BB's do and  use.

Things that would never interest me and no doubt others possibly are (Without going through it all),

Sudoku
Credits
Album
Downloads
Bookmarks
Chat
Links

Editor:

phpBB mod template
Image align left, right
Album Image align left, right
Repeat of: Upload image and add it to the message
Marque text to down, right, left, up.

Of course, one can understand why these things were added in the first place - - Because phpBB was such a PIG-OF-A THING to add anything to.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
A Bulletin Board is primarily a discussion board, and anything other than the basic requirements to enhance it should be either a MOD or a plug-in, as most other BB's do and  use.

I think that is exactly where we are going but it just doesn't happen overnight.

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Of course, one can understand why these things were added in the first place - - Because phpBB was such a PIG-OF-A THING to add anything to.  

I assume that, that is what propelled MG to develop a plug-in system.  

As you would be aware, there were lots of phpBB2 and now some phpBB3 that offer(ed) the base code with heaps of MODS pre-installed, and it always brings up the arguments about what they should and shouldn't have included.

The whining never ends, and if one was to pre-install every available MOD - It still wouldn't be right for those who don't want mods they don't use.

Me, I just comment out the url's for what I don't want to use.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

The plugins system has been created just for that purpose, and as Joshua correctly stated, it just not happens overnight to move all extensions into a plugin. It was planned to move almost all large mods before releasing 2.0, but unfortunately I'm almost alone in coding (even if from time to time I get very useful help from many volunteers) the core code.

I want to stress once again the fact that Icy Phoenix is not a premodded any more. A premodded package is a plain vanilla installation with just the mods installed. Icy Phoenix has been recoded to integrate all mods and new features properly, I have personally recoded almost all mods and addons (many of them I have rewritten from scratch), plus I have added switches everywhere to allow people at least to disable the most SQL intensive addons.

I'll be very willing to help where someone would like to port some of the existing large addons into a plugin (Album or Links for example). Things need to be done properly though... looking for all the integrations through the code.

Things that would never interest me and no doubt others possibly are (Without going through it all),

Sudoku
Credits
Album
Downloads
Bookmarks
Chat
Links

Editor:

phpBB mod template
Image align left, right
Album Image align left, right
Repeat of: Upload image and add it to the message
Marque text to down, right, left, up

I may agree on Sudoku which is quite unuseful (but it is totally stand alone and would require less than one hour to be ported as a plugin), Album, Links and Downloads are widely used, but they should be converted as plugins as well (Album would require a lot of time, while Links and Downloads only few hours). Chat is specific as well, but it may prove to be very useful for large communities, it could be converted as a plugin as well. I cannot see why Bookmarks doesn't fit a bulletin board, since it is just a way to keep track of some of the topics you may need to retrieve. Credits... well, it's not an option... I always credit coders and I'm not going to remove that, neither convert to a plugin.

About BBCodes, the whole BBCodes box should be recoded, allowing users to customize which buttons they need...

I think the only solution is to start from scratch with another project based only on a CMS... then anyone can focus only on the features he needs.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I love the bookmark facility, It allows me to remember posts that I can refer back to at a later date without hunting the forum, so please do not remove that....  

I would love to be able to help removing mods and making them plugins but the IP code has become more complicated for my experiance but I am going to figure it out.

I have looked at other CMS but nothing in my opinion is as flexible as IP especially when styling templates... Though I am slowly removing tables and extra html code I do not require (plus commenting on what is removed)

A lot of pages I do not need either but you can block them through the cms so I am happy with that too, I have spent six years learning and developing IP for my benefit and yes I have coded a lot too suit my benefit which I could give back to the forum but i feel users if they add or edit my files will become lost with what I have changed... so I dont release it...

I will continue to use  IP for as long as it is available to use and probably even when it isn't....

Back to topPage bottom

DWho wrote: [View Post]
But the IP code has become more complicated for my experiance.

My problem exactly?  

And it pis**s me off that I'm too stupid to recognise most of it any more.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

My problem exactly?  

And it pis**s me off that I'm too stupid to recognise most of it any more.  

Totally agree... I am too stupid as well to understand what probably is staring me in the face...    

Back to topPage bottom

Can you please make an example on what do you mean? I really think the code is much more flexible than before. So many things have been rewritten to be optimized and secured through the creation of new classes and functions.

I don't think is more complex honestly... if you can make a clear example I would appreciate.

Back to topPage bottom

Since we were a bit off topic here, I have split the topic.

Here is the link to the new one: New Icy Phoenix Functions

Back to topPage bottom

Unfortunately, I believe Lopalong died and went to heaven some time ago.  

ani_wootxlots

I knew Lopalong was back when I read: http://www.icyphoenix.com/viewtopic.php?p=57419#p57419

Obviously Lopalong with his usual graceful tact.  

I think the current features like Album, Downloads, Chat, and Links are great.  I don't see many IP boards not using at the very least chat.  I also think it's great for members of any community to be able to share their photos, personal or not, within the community.  It puts a face with the username you talk with on the forums and can also open up new discussion.  Just depends on the way you look at it.

Making everything a plug-in, in the long haul, would also be a wise decision.  Discussions like this would never happen again.  

ChaoticSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Chaotic wrote: [View Post]
Making everything a plug-in, in the long haul, would also be a wise decision.  Discussions like this would never happen again.

Most plug-in modules for phpBB usually require some edits either automatically or manually, and quite a lot of them require some manual input. And in particular they all need some manual intervention if other mods have modified the same required strings in the core files. They also ALL need upgrading when core files are updated to different versions that have their core script altered, and someone has to do that.

The medal mod already has it's own modules/files and would require very little modification for it to be upgraded to an acceptable plug-in for IPv2* because if done properly it will only need to modify very little of the main core files.

All we need to do is "Hang in there buddy until someone comes along that can help"

Or leave it all to MG.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

If you can provide me the old 1.3.x mod - or whatever version it was - I probably can take a look.

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List