Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post The Hacker Manifesto 

This text was written at the start of the "logic" age:

The Hacker Manifesto, by "+++The Mentor+++", written on: January 8, 1986
Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers.
"Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal",
"Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it.
"No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's
for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

Please do not make mistakes between hackers and crackers. Hacker is a person with a high level of acknowledges on the computering world, and the cracker is the hacker who get into other computers which he/she is not authorized to.

novice programmerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: The Hacker Manifesto 

Well, I think all hackers and crackers should be shoved into a rocket and launched to Pluto.  Just my opinion.

ChaoticSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Well i´m with you CHAOTIC

think about this. You need Hackers to create antivirus. cause they are genius.
on the other site
you don´t need hackers because they create the damned virus.

so what do we do.

just update the damned antispyware, antivirus and firewalls. and the problem is that the bas...rds all the time find a way around it.

so shove them all into that rocket. i´ll mount the explosives to make shure they don´t come back

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

I don't know, maybe crackers and hackers are to be admired because they are the ones who spend their time looking for the exploits that every programmer of any software should have / could have been aware of anyway.

And if they are good enough at cracking not only php but other coding structures - Hell! Microsoft gives them a job.

So maybe they really do have a future.

And never forget that the student who surpasses the "Master" will always continue to prove where the "Master" was wrong; computer code or otherwise.

It's called progress.  

Back to topPage bottom

If hackers and crackers didn't exist, there wouldn't be a need for anti-virus programs.  Exploits could still be there, but without a hacker or cracker, no one would exploit the holes.  We all benefit from hackers and crackers being sent to Pluto.

Win-win!

Back to topPage bottom

It took someone about 16 days to open the most "Secure" lock ever made, and for that he got a huge reward from the inventor / promoter who offered the reward because they were so confident that no-one could do it.

Hackers and crackers do about the same on a different level, and I don't think the challenge for anyone to "Open" the lock, regardless of what it is, is ever going to change whether there's a reward or not.

And not all viruses were intentionally written either, as some are feral and quite by accident.

Back to topPage bottom

It doesn't help that most of the best hackers are recruited by the CIA and FBI either.

I just think it would be in everyone's interest if all hackers had their minds swept of all hacking knowledge.  I mean, these kids think they are cool by hacking.

"When I grow up, I want to be a hacker and live in my mom's basement!"

Back to topPage bottom

It all comes down to money.

I don't know if you are aware of the saying:

If it's cute, free and it works - It's usually going to be a problem one way or another.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and while a lot of Trojans and other viruses are malicious, there are quite a lot of them who do nothing other than collect your browsing habits to target you with advertising. And we hate them!!  because while we take and use something for free, we don't like returning the favour by allowing resource hogs slowing down our playground.

Icy Phoenix is not immune from this accusation for encroaching on other people to promote itself. And because it's GPL, conditions, stipulations or anything else cannot be added to its use or distribution etc.

Meantime it has buried meta-data that uses everyone else's website to advertise the benefits of IP and how good it supposedly is. It also takes the liberty of allowing itself to hotlink other's resources for the benefit of Icy Phoenix and other MG sites.

Nowhere is anyone advised that these encroachments are in place - And when IP uses someone else's resources covertly - that my friend is HACKING!

"Free" has become a dirty word in cyberspace as it no longer means gratis or no strings attached and usually carries a price tag on the condition that "If you want something from me, then I want something from you".

That's how it is buddy, and I can't really say that I disagree with it.

Edited by Guest, Wed 04 Feb, 2009 21:09: Added a rider

Back to topPage bottom

Give it a rest, LOL.

Hackers, crackers...please board the rocket!

Back to topPage bottom

I will board just after the rest of the whole staff of phpbb and icy phoenix.

Yep, we all are hackers (only hackers, we are not malicious), becuse of the fact we have made phpbb and IP respectively.

But just think, that without hackers, no programe would exist, as nobody would know how to code for computers or chips.

We would be stuck on the age of the gearwheels, as no complex electronical circuit would exist.
We would be stuck on the original, Edisson designed light, because there would not be machine able to make tube-shaped lights.
We would be stuck on the craft age, as no one would hire employees for industrial chains, because they are based on machines for transporting products from one employee to the one who would make the next step.
We would live on a world where we could not even life, as we would have to pay too much even for food.

novice programmerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

You are absolutely right and just for that, let's put it into a more figurative perspective.

In the world of Heroes, there are Heroes and there are Villains.  All Villains must board the spaceship and be sent to Pluto.  

Back to topPage bottom

Or be made to walk the plank!  

Back to topPage bottom

That works too as long as they aren't allowed flotation devices.

Back to topPage bottom

I´ll give them flotation divices filled with stones.

and another present as well

Some big ancorchains aroun d the neck . gggg

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List