Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post What Does Owe To Do To Be A Informatic Guru? 

Almost all users that are in the forum know something about informatic, but compared to the "gurus" it's nothing. So I would ask, What does owe to do to be a guru Informatic? Is it necessary to make a career in college or just a lot of dedication?

(Here we have our "little guru" MG, maybe he tell us something…    )

For me for example, sometimes I only have to spend a bit of time to achieve something, but many other times (most) is too much for me, does this mean that we need to go to college to be a guru?. I think so, at least for be a good one.   

Greeting!!

AlejandroSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: What Does Owe To Do To Be A Informatic Guru? 

if you are running a php forum then you need to learn php.... in the UK there is no where to be taught it... on the web there are sies that say they will teach you at a high price....

but all of this is available to learn for free... php.com teaches you are lot and there are some great sites with free tutorials on learning php...

Most gurus (as you put it) are self taught but I expect they have a good understanding of how php and other code work...

So I suggest if you want to learn php google php tutorials and look in the php.com forums there is a wealth of information there....

IcyPhoenix UK is off-line permanently due to lack of time to update mods.
if anyone is interested in my templates I will upgrade them to Icy 2.0.

DWhoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Here goes a good one Alejandro.

in spanish

Here

you´ve got to go to downloads section on site.

it´s in tutoriales.

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

To be taught is far better than self-learning, as one tends to pick up bad code habits that may work at the time for only one particular project - and then those habits are hard to get rid of and cause other problems in the future.

Unless one is very diligent about doing it right the first time.

But, like always - It depends on how much time one has, and how much money.

Back to topPage bottom

The one i told him to be downloaded comes with some interesting show and test files. Lopa.

thats like school at home

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

i would like to be taught as Lopalong says you do pick bad habits up... but i have found no where that teaches you in the UK unless you want to learn dreamweaver (which I do not)...

I spend hours trying something then researching then testing and never sure if it is the correct way...

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: What Does One To Do To Be A Informatic Guru? 

As DWho says, I very often use the web for code that I don't understand or know how to put together. And sometimes the so-called "expert" code published on the web is more trouble than what it is worth, and a lot of it is to be avoided.

But as you point out Spydie - Tuition from reputable sources is much better than trying to pick up a bit here and there on the web.

Back to topPage bottom

I know all that you say but I'm not speaking only of php or dreamweaver ... I think that for learn the php language isn't necessary go to a college or go to a specific course for this, I was more concerned to know about such things as programming, networks, etc too. This are things that we can learn something through Internet, but not everything that could or should to use it properly.  

For example, to modify (or create..) an operating system or create our own CMS isn't enough search on internet : roll:

Regards!!

(This doesn't mean that I'm not interested in the php, Icy, and so on, otherwise they wouldn't be registered on the forum)   

Back to topPage bottom

This is the correct answer even if not complete...
DWho wrote: [View Post]
I spend hours trying something then researching then testing and never sure if it is the correct way...

After thousands of hours you get even convinced that is the correct way!

Web things can be learned only by living the web day by day... by they time they are published books are already outdated...

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

damn that sounds like I have more and more to learn... just when you thinking you are getting there...LOL  

Back to topPage bottom

In my case, I am also a self taught, but not with any website.

My first contact with computers was when I was around 2-3 old. When I was four I was able to make many things on MS-DOS and on Windows 3.11 (I guess it was the last one before Windows NT). So many things I remember....

I will tell you some anecdotes (when I was around 4-5 years old):
  • My 386Mhz computer (still fuctional) had a key in order to lock it from being used. I were guilty of inserting them into the floppy drive
  • Some day I discovered the BIOS of that 386 computer and changed the clock time. Thought it was a kind of game.
  • Another day I got into the BIOS and changed something on it so the MS-DOS OS could not start   

I started with by looking at coding and program creationing when I was searching pc games for pokemon (it was the trend and all my classmates had gameboys and knew that world, so I was the freak) when I was around 7 years old. Around a year after, I became intrested on GameMaker, as many remakes for it were done with it. But I became confused when I had to use C (I did not know even what language to use). Before of that, when I was 6, my parents were buying computers related magazines sometimes (for those of you who are spanish, it was the "Computer Hoy")

When I was 10 I discovered the section which contained the coding related books at the local library and my parents let me to retrive one of those. "Introduction to PHP4", was it. I even got it photocopied...

Then I started with the AMP (Apache-MySQL-PHP) services, systems and programs. It was not too hard to understand them. Just a child game.

Then I left it until I discovered phpbb when I was 12, on 2005 if my maths are correct. Two years after I registered on the old phpbb-es.com, and discovered Icy Phoenix on it. Half a year after, as you can see on my profile, I had some idea on IP, and went to this forum. On September, 9th, 2007, I got added to the Special guests group, and before the end of 2007 (I failed at saving a copy of the PM, so I do not remeber the exact date    ) I agreed to became a moderator around here.

That is my CV about computering at the moment

About my english skills, I said my parents I wanted to learn it when I was just four. They become shocked, but did not refuse to that petition of mine. Now I am thinking around starting a 5 years degree at the Official English Academy of my city, the only one allowed for giving degrees on english besides the university. Also I could try some exams from Cambrige, but IDK what will I exactly do.

novice programmerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Very, very, very interesting story.
I haven’t had that lucky ...  
But this isn’t reason enough to discourage me

So, you've told your "little big" story, now I’ll tell you mine (but it isn’t as interesting as yours).
I started to use a computer since I was 10-11 years old, but it was only by the “messenger”. When I really became interested in computers was when I discovered a computer game in 2005, like your chance (but instead of a gameboy game a pc game), in this case, Fifa Manager (Total Club Manager was calling in this moment). It was because I needed help by bugs on the game. After that the problem was fixed I saw that the people wrote in the forum (where I had asked) this made me do it too, because that, I’m now writing this message. From this moment one thing led to another and I have:

- Learned to use Photoshop and something of graphic design
- Learned some codes (html, css...)
- Experimented with some CMSs: Joomla, phpBB, Wordpress and Icy Phoenix finally
- Experimented with Linux distributions (Fedora and Ubuntu).
- Publish my own blog (it’s new, I’ve finished it 2 days ago)
- And more things, but is enough with them

Unfortunately I don't have the same level of english as you, I haven't time to go to a Academy, because besides my passion for computers also I have a passion for football (soccer) and because this, I need help of the translator or the english book and anyway my english is not very good.

Regards!

PD: You're a year younger than me

Back to topPage bottom

hey your lucky I started at 35 years old.. so by the time you reach my agae you will be able to teach me....  

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List