Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Blocks Management - Limiting The Number Of Characters Displayed In A Block 

I have a block named, "XYZ".  It shows on the homepage in the center column.

The, "XYZ" block has approximately 3000 characters being displayed.  I do not want all of the characters to be displayed all of the time so, can I limit the number of characters that are displayed in the block like I can do in the NEWS Block?

Please look at the signature block for ICY Phoenix info and link to the site.

Thank you,

David

Version of MySQL: 5.0.81-community-log
Board started: 2009/07/18 - 11:50
Registered Users: 123 as of 17 Sep 09

christmanrdSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Blocks Management - Limiting The Number Of Characters Displayed In A Block 

Try this.

Save the script below as blair.html and open it in your bowser so that you can see what it does etc. Then try to apply the js and markup to your html block.

Spoiler: [ Show ]

Last edited by Guest on Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:49; edited 3 times in total 

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Blocks Management - Limiting The Number Of Characters Displayed In A Block 

Slick, very slick.

I copied and pasted it in to a html as suggested by using DW CS3 and it was NICE.

I then copied it to the specific Block and hit SUBMIT.

Then heading over to Home to look at the results.  I even had a smile on my face.  It looked great.

When I clicked on SHOW.  The Block did not expand but the words were displayed over the rest of the blocks beneath it.

Dave  

Back to topPage bottom

christmanrd wrote: [View Post]
When I clicked on SHOW.  The Block did not expand but the words were displayed over the rest of the blocks beneath it.

Dave  

So it's transparent?

I've edited the script I posted - So you can have a go at that one.

But to expand the block it would have to be done a different way.

Back to topPage bottom

I appreciate your help.

I tried the edited script and as you said, it still does not expand.

Any other ideas?

What I have done is change from HTML to BBCODE and used the Spoiler tag.  For now it works and can be seen at the site.

Dave

Back to topPage bottom

Sorry it's not what you wanted.

IPv1.3 uses highslide, and from memory Highslide (default) includes expanders for various applications, but I don't know what Highslide javascript has actually been added to IP, as I don't have it installed. (Yet)

If you download highslide and check out the syntax for the various apps, you may find something useful there. Else you could google for javascript expanders and see if there's something you could simply add to the script.

I don't really know what's best for you without installing IP 1.3, grabbing your text, and having a play. But installing IPv1.3 is not something I really want to do at this stage.

So hopefully, someone else will come along and add their 2c worth to resolve what you trying to achieve.

Back to topPage bottom

Again,

I appreciate your help.

Just a thought, you could register on my site and I could give you Admin Privileges.  If that would help.

Back to topPage bottom

Quote:
IPv1.3 uses highslide, and from memory Highslide (default) includes expanders for various applications, but I don't know what Highslide javascript has actually been added to IP, as I don't have it installed. (Yet)

Highslide JS version is : 4.0.12 from February 2009.

Well that´s what My script tells me.

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Spydie,

Thanks for the info.

I did a google search and went to:  Highslide where I downloaded their Highslide Editor.

But, my problem is, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING.

Again,

Thanks,

David

Back to topPage bottom

Re the Admin offer - I'll have to knock that back I'm afraid.

If no-one comes up with anything in the next couple of days - I'll have another look at it for you.  

Edit:

I gave HighSlide a miss, but you can try this one:

Spoiler: [ Show ]

You may want to add extra markup, but I'll leave that up to you.

Edited by Guest, Tue 11 Aug, 2009 00:15: Changed input type

Back to topPage bottom

You can use the same CODE used for spoiler (if I understand correctly what you need).

Everything is already included in Icy Phoenix and you just need to add the proper markup.

If you need I can tell how to do.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks Mighty Gorgon!

The issue had to be resolved and since it could not be, I had to use another method of displaying the content that was needed.

Icy Phoenix Rocks!

Thank you Sir.

Back to topPage bottom

I didn't understand if you need it or note... anyway try this HTML code inserted in a brand new block.:

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
<div class="spoiler">

<div class="code-header" id="spoilerhdr_NEWS001" style="position: relative;">Show: [ <a href="#" onclick="ShowHide(\'spoiler_NEWS001\', \'spoiler2_NEWS001\', \'\'); ShowHide(\'spoilerhdr_NEWS001\', \'spoilerhdr2_NEWS001\', \'\'); return false;">Show</a> ]</div>

<div class="code-header" id="spoilerhdr2_NEWS001" style="position: relative; display: none;">Spoiler: [ <a href="#" onclick="ShowHide(\'spoiler_NEWS001\', \'spoiler2_NEWS001\', \'\'); ShowHide(\'spoilerhdr_NEWS001\', \'spoilerhdr2_NEWS001\', \'\'); return false;">Hide</a> ]</div>

<div class="spoiler-content" id="spoiler2_NEWS001" style="position: relative; display: none;">YOUR TEXT</div>

</div>

Please remember that you have to replace NEWS001 with a random code for each block you will create... since it is an ID you don't have to have duplicates.

Let me know if it is ok for you.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

One question.  Is that suppose to work with 1.2.0.27c?   I just tried it on a 1.2.0.27c site and it does not show when I click on it.

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
Now is the time for all young men

<div class="spoiler">

<div class="code-header" id="spoilerhdr_NEWS001" style="position: relative;">Show: [ <a href="#" onclick="ShowHide(\'spoiler_NEWS001\', \'spoiler2_NEWS001\', \'\'); ShowHide(\'spoilerhdr_NEWS001\', \'spoilerhdr2_NEWS001\', \'\'); return false;">Show</a> ]</div>

<div class="code-header" id="spoilerhdr2_NEWS001" style="position: relative; display: none;">Spoiler: [ <a href="#" onclick="ShowHide(\'spoiler_NEWS001\', \'spoiler2_NEWS001\', \'\'); ShowHide(\'spoilerhdr_NEWS001\', \'spoilerhdr2_NEWS001\', \'\'); return false;">Hide</a> ]</div>

<div class="spoiler-content" id="spoiler2_NEWS001" style="position: relative; display: none;">to come to the aid of their country</div>

</div>

I have two icy sites and I forgot that I was on the 1.2.0.27c site when I tried the code.

Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]

Please remember that you have to replace NEWS001 with a random code for each block you will create... since it is an ID you don't have to have duplicates.

Let me know if it is ok for you.

Don´t see anything renamed in your code christmanrd

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List