Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Some News About Icy Phoenix 

Hi all.

I'm just back from Oktoberfest and after so many beers I'm ready to expose here some news about Icy Phoenix.

Before going further on what I'm planning about Icy Phoenix Development I would like to point out that I still don't know if the future version of Icy Phoenix will be similar to the current one. I'm also considering the opportunity to release a small package which contains only the CMS and to all the other stuff is currently included into Icy Phoenix. I'll let you know further on during the development phase.

Having said that... I would like you to know that I'm re-coding some core files of Icy Phoenix to improve performances and scalability. I have ported some phpBB 3 features which I find useful and I have also coded some new ones. If the local testing phase will be successful I will upgrade this site with a brand new version (I mean the core part) which should improve performances noticeably.

Just to give you some extra flavour about what I'm working at, here are some details:
  • DB Connection Module has been improved (many functions ported from phpBB 3) and I have added a better errors tracking using backtrace (similar to phpBB 3).
  • More than 3800 queries has been revised to comply with the new connection module, it took me 2 weeks to review all of them... that's a lot of work, and it's highly likely that some errors have been introduced. That's the price to pay for improvements. We will fix them.
  • I have definitely integrated phpBB 3 Cache System and rewritten some of the old caching functions integrated into Icy Phoenix. The objective is to manage cache in a more efficient way, because under certain conditions cache may result in extra and unwanted CPU charge. I have completed about 30% of this stage.
  • I'm working at the Forum Structure mainly for 2 objectives: optimize the charge when generating the tree structure and increasing the compatibility with phpBB 3.
  • SEO is also on my priority list, and I'm also working in improving how pages are generated, mainly links, meta tags and core html tags. I have finished some of the main features, but I still need to complete a couple of extra things to improve how pages are indexed.

That's all for now, I will let you know when I will upgrade this site, so you can help me in debugging all the new features... there will be a lot to do!

Thanks for reading, and if you have extra questions I will try to answer if I can.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Some News About Icy Phoenix 

[FIRST !]
Holy shit !
SO SO SO GREAT NEWS !

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Sounds great...can't wait!

ChaoticSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Didnt think Icy Could get better !!

Cant wait !!

AndyGpySend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Great!

paxSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Chaotic wrote: [View Post]
Sounds great...can't wait!

Me too  

Hopefully I find the time to help more on this project next month  

TheSteffenSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

This sounds great. I can't wait.

NiroseSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Unfortunately some of the latest modifications will require more time than expected to be completed...

Icy Phoenix has too many files and modifications, I'm thinking about removing some code to speed up things.

I'm seriously planning a new version with less features.

Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Unfortunately some of the latest modifications will require more time than expected to be completed...

Icy Phoenix has too many files and modifications, I'm thinking about removing some code to speed up things.

and that is the point why i don't try to learn the icy phoenix 1.3 structure

but maybe you should make icy phoenix a modularly cms - provide one feature in one modul - this can make the developing and maintenance easier for you

did you understand what i mean?

New PlayerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Is KB the 1st that go away?  

User #379756 on Linux Counter
"If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist!!"

buldoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

So, it will not update IcyPhoenix anymore ...

Back to topPage bottom

New Player wrote: [View Post]
and that is the point why i don't try to learn the icy phoenix 1.3 structure

but maybe you should make icy phoenix a modularly cms - provide one feature in one modul - this can make the developing and maintenance easier for you

did you understand what i mean?

I understand perfectly... but who will mantain the modules then?

That is the main reason why I didn't do that yet... unfortunately there are no good coders here who are willing to actively help projects development.

Now that phpBB 3 is almost a mature product I'm trying to make Icy Phoenix compatible with phpBB 3 mods, and that will allow me to drop some old and resource consuming features in favour of phpBB 3 brand new mods which should be written in a better way than the old phpBB 2 ones. The album is just the main example.

I could integrate any phpBB 3 mod into Icy Phoenix now, it's just a matter of few hours of work, but then the main problem will be updating old Icy Phoenix sites to the new version... Even if I can port phpBB 3 mods easily it will require many days of testing the upgrade script and make it work under most configurations and web servers.

So the point now is just in updating Icy Phoenix core code and write on purpose code to easily upgrade old DB structures. After I have finished with the core code and CMS, I will then focus on features and try to understand what I can remove and what not. I will recode features which I think are important and I will make less important features as modules.

New version will likely be Icy Phoenix 2.0...

Template system will remain almost the same, even if I'm thinking about just changing how header and footer are included, just to make coding tpl variables easier for users and designers.

Anyway this is a huge work and a tough winter is expecting me...

I will keep you updated.

Informpro wrote: [View Post]

Well... don't tell me that you are using all the features Icy Phoenix has...

Back to topPage bottom

That is the main reason why I didn't do that yet... unfortunately there are no good coders here who are willing to actively help projects development.
On what are you basing to say this ? ... I have skills PHP for doing great things, but I'm not wanting to coding something like IcyPhoenix, because the core is not very stable at this moment: Every version, I do some correction when I check modifications, but ... There is some MOD using phpBB2 core, and others using phpBB 3 ...
Informpro wrote: [View Post]

Well... don't tell me that you are using all the features Icy Phoenix has...
Think me or not ... Tell me what are feature that you want remove ... I well find a usage ... Everytime ...
I think there is alot of feature that have to be totally recoded for respect the phpBB3 core ... But remove feature is not a great idea ...

Last edited by Informpro on Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:48; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

You have messed up things in your quote, please check your post... I will answer later.

I have not said that "THERE ARE NO GOOD CODERS HERE"... I have written a different thing which is "THERE ARE NO GOOD CODERS HERE WHO ARE WILLING TO ACTIVELY HELP" which is a really different thing.

Please read carefully.

Back to topPage bottom

(editing during your posting ...)

Ok ... But as I said before, we are in a very instable phase: moving core ! When I Modify some functions, I'm not sure that I will modify all features who are using this functions, and when I modify a 2nd function, if the feature was using a phpBB2 function, I will surely get a error ...
Exemple:
 - Feature 1: Download
 - Feature 2: Album
I modify a function for ... generate structure hierarchy, in phpBB2.
Download use this function, but Album use the phpBB3 function.
After, I modify a function for ... get the number of clicks. The download work, but the Album have errors because the 2nd function (get number of clicks), is now recoded for work with the generator hierarchy structure of phpBB2, and not with the phpBB 3 ...

I do some modifications everytime on the files, but I can't touch to the core or things like this, because I'm not sure of the Bug who will appear because of phpBB2/3 core ...

Last edited by Informpro on Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:01; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List