Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post [Petition] Reducing Portal Size. Disabling Images And Active Content In Portal 

Hello Everybody..

I don't know if you can help me, but i just want to ask.. If you have any idea of how to do this, can you tell that to me??.

I  frequently post news on my website... These news frequently contains images.. So, the load time of the portal page is so slow.. My idea is Disable the images and other heavy content like active content in posts shown in the portal, and, instead of that, link to the topic of the news to see images and the other content.. In this way, the portal size will be lighter and will load faster.

Could you help me??
Thanks!!!

DanielcSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: [Petition] Reducing Portal Size. Disabling Images And Active Content In Portal 

Best thing you can do is limit the number of chars displayed in the block settings or in ACP=>News settings.

Another thing you can do is alter BBCode parsing for news, but I wouldn't do that... I would use another block instead (such as Forum Attach) and edit the functions which parse BBCodes, maybe stripping out the BBCodes you don't want to be parsed. But that will require PHP skills and some hours of work.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: [Petition] Reducing Portal Size. Disabling Images And Active Content In Portal 

I have some php skills, just some xD.. I was thinking on limit the chars, but i don't like so much that..
I will check the forum attach block.. Is there any special file with the functions of that block??
Also, another solution, and i think and excellent feature could be do something like this. I don't know if that is so hard, but could be a good solution..
Thanks for your help MG !

Back to topPage bottom

I don't like the second option because it is not good for SEO purposes.

You can achieve the same result by posting the reduced version in the first post and the full version in the second post of the same topic.

Back to topPage bottom

or you can show just 1 or 2 news items on you portal instead of 6 or 10 then you load time should be faster..

IcyPhoenix UK is off-line permanently due to lack of time to update mods.
if anyone is interested in my templates I will upgrade them to Icy 2.0.

DWhoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

@DWho: Yes, i also was thinking in it.. I think i will show only 5..
@MG: Ok.. I will limit the chars of news.. But, how many chars do you recommend to me?? I think 200 or 250 is so short...

Back to topPage bottom

In my opinion you should leave the number of chars unlimited and you should then create two posts...

For example...

A new topic called "My Brand New Info For You"

First post: "Hi guys, I just wanted you to know... [CLICK TO READ MORE]" (add a link to the second post)

Second post: "Hi guys, I just wanted you to know that I'm happy..."

Back to topPage bottom

I don't like so much that idea.. Anyway, what i've done is the following:
1. Reduce news chars to 450 or something like that..
2. Reduce number of news shown in the portal to 5.

This have reduced my portal size dramatically..
But, another doubt, sorry.. Why i have to modify the CMS block to change that values and doesn't work modifing the values in the ACP?

Back to topPage bottom

I have implemented that feature per block basis so you can have extra flexibility... this will let you have more news blocks with different settings, have a look here for example:

http://www.cucinainsimpatia.net/index.php
http://www.cucinainsimpatia.net/ricette.php

Two pages using news blocks with different settings.

What you set in ACP is for standard news pages.

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for the answer..

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List