Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Future Of Icy Phoenix 

just give your thoughts  and idea on how the  Icy phoenix will grow and what change you expecting in this cms .    . I am asking this because i love this script   ("please remember i am not asking about next release date or when the next version will be release . hope you all understand that .  ")

ancrazSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Future Of Icy Phoenix 

Your question is answered in my view in these simple words

We know how to wait and find all your answers

I can say that Icy Phoenix is constantly evolving and there will be news in terms of structure and simplicity of the product.

Hi Fucile

fucileSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

ancraz wrote: [View Post]
just give your thoughts  and idea on how the  Icy phoenix will grow and what change you expecting in this cms .    . I am asking this because i love this script   ("please remember i am not asking about next release date or when the next version will be release . hope you all understand that .  ")

Did you read the announcement section?

I think you will likely find all the answers by carefully reading latest topics posted there.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Maybe we could just talk about the future of IP and how we see it, don't we ?
Because I know there is topics talking about the core code, evolutions, etc ... but there's nothing talking about " How IP looks like for us " or something like that.

Because, IMHO, Icy Phoenix is certainly the best bridge between a CMS and a board and provide many things that other communities like phpBB 2x or CH never provided. BUT, besides that, I think we would be right to say that Icy Phoenix is " just " another " big " " premodd " or phpBB 2x ( don't rage now and read until the end ^^' ).

What I mean is that, yes, IP adds many features to phpBB 2x, add some phpBB 3x features too, and many many other things which do that I still prefer this CMS to others one but some part of the code / ideas / mods seems to be a bit far of the core CMS, I mean that there is some thing implemented but that aren't linked to each others !

I can give some examples : Cash, which is a great mod in my opinion, but which also could be improved by being linked wich groups / permissions / ranks ( I try to work on that x) ). It's the first which come to my mind but it's not the one.
From my point of view, we could consider that the best way to develop something is to improve his features AND keep it simple to use.

Well . . . Sorry but I think I lost my brain I don't really know what I wanna say ... Just for sum up, it would be great to improve the flexibility of IP and the idea to do a " core IP " with a plugins system is a very good idea which is worth to work on this way.

YrosSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Well... you didn't read carefully all my announcements.

Everyone is free to speak about Icy Phoenix: how do you see it, how would you improve it, features requests, etc... I always read your suggestions or critics, but do not pretend me to make everyone happy, because it is not possible.

Cash is not integrated properly because I don't want it as a basic feature. I have written somewhere in this forum the reasons... CASH MOD is not supported, it is there and disabled in standard installation (it isn't impacting on performances at all when disabled). Please use another example.

Plugins is the way I'm moving... I have already exposed this in (at least) two announcements... just have a try in SVN to realize what I'm trying to do.

Back to topPage bottom

I did, don't worry, and I read aswell what you said about it ( that's why I said it's a good way of development ^^ ). About Cash mod, the main problem is that it's an old mod not supported ( because Zarath stop his development and noone ever wanted or tried to take the time to continue it ) but the code still something useful in my opinion. Why ? Because the Cash system grant us many possibilities, much more than a simple " point system " for RPg / playing forums. I just develop a bit : cash permit us, for sample, to make ranks with other values than post number, because it's not always critical.

Anyway, I will continue to try to provide some little mods I consider as useful ( like the " sliding options in posting.php " which I will try to generalize to many other pages like viewprofile, etc ... ) for fill the lack of concrete features sometimes « Towards the infinite and beyond »

I will try to clean my mind too for the next time I'll give my opinion on the future of IP

YrosSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

It would be nice to see an Pluggin system implemented like f.e.: The Wordpress pluggin system.

What means. Just upload the Mod to (lets say /mods), go to ACP and activate it.

Don´t know if anyone been thinking about this issue before.

I just had the idea, working on my wifes site, witch is in effect WP.

Could´nt be as difficult, to write the mods in this way, and then use an MOD-database to download or update them from.

Ups. Did´nt see your post MG. Just realised what your saying. Hopefully thinking in the same dirrection as me.

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Yes... I'm also planning to add an ACP module to enable all the plugins... I'm still thinking at the best way to implement it easily.

WP plugins system is the best I have ever seen... I don't think I'll code something similar now, because it will require a lot of time... and now I have to focus on other things... but who knows...

Back to topPage bottom

ancraz wrote: [View Post]
just give your thoughts  and idea on how the  Icy phoenix will grow and what change you expecting in this cms .

IMHO, Icy Phoenix is far better than phpBB2 ever was, and much better than what phpBB3 ever will be.  

A plug-in (or easier) system for mods would be nice, but I don't see that as a real priority.

De-nesting the styles to make them a lot easier to install to the templates/folder as individual themes would be my priority. Because people DO seem to have a lot of problems with them.

But I think I may have mentioned that somewhere here before.

Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]
IMHO, Icy Phoenix is far better than phpBB2 ever was, and much better than what phpBB3 ever will be.  

Thanks for that... but under certain point of views Icy Phoenix is still not better than phpBB 3.

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]
De-nesting the styles to make them a lot easier to install to the templates/folder as individual themes would be my priority. Because people DO seem to have a lot of problems with them.

But I think I may have mentioned that somewhere here before.

I think I have already answered this. Anyway, here is another version of the answer.

If I understand correctly your point you are suggesting to put every template in a single folder, so users don't get confused when they have to install a new one.

Creating a style which is stand alone depends on designer choice.

In standard Icy Phoenix you only have 3 templates which are nested into a single folder because they use some common code and it is a waste of resources duplicating that code for each template. Nobody is forced to replicate that structure and you can easily have each template in a single folder... but for my own templates I have decided to optimize things and create common folders for styles which use the same codebase.

I know you disagree on that, but it is a designer decision, not an overall Icy Phoenix guideline... so it's up to designers to create one folder for each template and it doesn't rely on how Icy Phoenix is coded, as Icy Phoenix already allows that.

If you want me to split all my styles, that's a different thing and it doesn't involve Icy Phoenix Development, but just the way my styles are currently designed.

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List