Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Google Translator 

This is neat and in my opinion every website should have it!  

Original source (With Errors) h**p://translate.google.com/translate_tools?hl=en

Two errors removed and a bit of style added that you will no doubt have to change for whatever style you use - - - - And if you add it to the footer of your styles, you can translate every page. - - - - - - - Don't ask me to do it for you.

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
<div style="float:left; padding-top:5px;">
<div id="google_translate_element"></div><script type="text/javascript">
function googleTranslateElementInit() {
  new google.translate.TranslateElement({
    pageLanguage: 'en'
  }, 'google_translate_element');
}
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="h**p://translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit"></script>
</div>

Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Google Translator 

Great little add on thanks David did you want this moved to customisations..

IcyPhoenix UK is off-line permanently due to lack of time to update mods.
if anyone is interested in my templates I will upgrade them to Icy 2.0.

DWhoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Tshhh =O
Everyone knows that such on-line translator are only " partial translators " and MIGHT NOT BE used for full translation ... >.<' ! Nothing can yet replace a human translation and, IMHO, the only way to translate accurately from one language to another one is to use lang_var for each language ... As if it doesn't translate posts & co, it is at least a true translation ><

( You've understand that I'm strongly against Google, Yahoo, or any online translators for more than one word or one phrase ;.; )

YrosSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Yros wrote: [View Post]
Tshhh =O
Everyone knows that such on-line translator are only " partial translators " and MIGHT NOT BE used for full translation ... >.<' ! Nothing can yet replace a human translation and, IMHO, the only way to translate accurately from one language to another one is to use lang_var for each language ... As if it doesn't translate posts & co, it is at least a true translation ><

( You've understand that I'm strongly against Google, Yahoo, or any online translators for more than one word or one phrase ;.; )

i have to disagree I have used google translater alot when trying to find info on different language sites... and ok it is  not always perfect but it gives me the answers i need...

IcyPhoenix UK is off-line permanently due to lack of time to update mods.
if anyone is interested in my templates I will upgrade them to Icy 2.0.

DWhoSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Yes, you can understand, but just a little piece !

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

DWho wrote: [View Post]
i have to disagree I have used google translater alot when trying to find info on different language sites... and ok it is  not always perfect but it gives me the answers i need...

I agree completely with DWho. I believe Google translator is not a good translator, but it combined with your brain can make you understand websites written in a language that you don't understand a word. For example, I use to visit a German website, but the only German word that I know is polizei, so I read the translation and try to give it a sense to understand it

Please don't misunderstand me, It's hard to me to say some things in English

KasLimonSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

It's what I say : On-line translators might only be used for partial translations, just for understand the main meaning of a sentence for sample but you can't use it for translate a whole text ! It would be stupid ! The problem is that now some people use it for full translation and it makes some shitty misunderstandings x_X

It's like the difference between " may / might / must / have to " ... You can't " perfectly " translate it with only one word / synonym or something else in another language because it would be under-translated ...

@ KasLimon : " combined with your brain can make you understand "
If only everyone thought to use his brain too . . . That's ALL the problem =/ By wanting automated things for making life easier we use less our brain and let this " hard " work to computers & co ... then finally you don't ever use your brain and I.A takes the power and we go in a Sci-Fi world *o* (*zbaf*)  

Back to topPage bottom

Yeah! Yros you're right in some ways but you miss the main point.

Hal9000 wrote a good piece on auto-translators, but I can't find it to quote it. The point that he made was that people should not use slang and should use a spell-checker (in their own language) to check the validity of their text before submitting it.

Pigs might fly too.

On the other hand there are those who write what they think is English, or any other language for that matter and assume that it would translate somewhat flawlessly. ?

No offence but something like this, just for understand the main meaning of a sentence for sample may translate to something different when written like this:

"just for understanding the main meaning of a sentence for example"

Anyway, I'm like Mike and use translators quite often; and while they may not be perfect at least with this translator one does not have to cut and paste different bits and pieces to work out what is being said as it stays "live" from page to page.

And that my friend, is a bonus. So all congratulations go to Google for a very useful tool.

Back to topPage bottom

*zbaf*

Meuuuuh that's not fair you use the mistakes I make in English for support your point of view
About the " spell-checker ", I don't really know what you are talking about but I perfectly understood what you mean with your " what they think is English ".

Finally, I still think that translators should only be used for unknown words or phrases and not for whole texts ... But I think it may depend of the case, maybe ... What you said made me thinking because I'm talking from my point of view, which is the one of a RP-forum author ( writing forum ) who hasn't a lot of troubles in English and, in my case, what we say in my forum are little stories ( called " RPs " ) so I can't trust in an on-line translation of each page containing each RP because I KNOW it would create big non-senses and other mistakes. It's like you would try to translate a novel by using Google Translator ><'

It's also the point of view of the translator I am . . . Nothing can replace Human translation and on-line translation might only be used partially, with your brain too like KasLimon said so well ^^

But the point of view of the supporter / baby-developer I am says that if this code can help some guys ... It's the most important. I think I just made a crisis because I've a writer's soul and I can't bear to see the meaning and the beauty of a text destroyed by such on-line translator x(

( =====> [] )

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks Lopalong, for the code.

But I also agree to the other users.

Off Topic
:
polizei (german) means: police

TheSteffenSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Yeah! well we all know that computer translations translate the word and not the expression, poetic license, prose, grammar and / or anything else that would make good sense. But at least in most circumstances it gives an insight into what is being offered or discussed when one doesn't have a clue as to what the language is trying to impart.

Someone has tried that here, but apparently they too are having problems trying to make it intelligent enough to understand some of the greatest stories, writings, quips and statements ever made, and generally just "Fail" everyone and everything unless it's manufactured to compromise the system.  

h**p://***.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle6913318.ece

And I'm sure that most thinkle peep I mean what I know, when I don't last say it the first time when I meant what I didn't say? <== Untranslated Swahili  

ROFL!  

Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]
And I'm sure that most thinkle peep I mean what I know, when I don't last say it the first time when I meant what I didn't say? <== Untranslated Swahili  

Untranslatable  

Back to topPage bottom

The google translator doesn't translate with completely good translation but it gives you an idea of what is being discussed or what an article is about.

other you have to use your brain.

It just give a window to understanding the language you don't know.

NiroseSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Everyone is right, but in my opion, you can use it to get a main idea, but definately, not to translate any legal, policy, poem......

xmenfileSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List