Icy Phoenix

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Re: From IP To PhpBB3 

borbo wrote: [View Post]

How can i move from IP to phpBB3 ?Is there any automated procedure?

Thank you
Regards

Is this a real question ?  

Does phpBB3 offer "how to switch to OTHER" forum software ?
Does MyBB, SMF, IPB, or V-Bulletin offer on how to switch to IP, IPB, phpBB3 or any other forum whatever ?  

NO! They only provide "conversions" FROM something else to their own software!

Still, one could be forgiven for asking such a stupid question, while MG is apparently still undecided whether or not Icy Phoenix has both the credibility and the guts to stand on its own merits, and drop all association with, and stop supporting phpBB3 on what SHOULD be predominately an ICY PHOENIX site.

Your question really belongs at phpBB.com

Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

I don't want to make any sort of soap opera, but this is not a stupid question since Icy phoenix is some kind of phpBB2 and 3 hybrid. In fact, I remember MG said one day something about preparing this new Icy 0.3x to be migrated to phpBB3 the same way the 0.2x version did to phpBB2. We only want to be sure that if we got some troubles in the future we won't lose everything due to have no knowlege of MySQL.

Ivory Tower URL: : http://www.torredemarfil.es/foro/ Version: 2.0

SarakinSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]

Thank you
Regards

Does MyBB, SMF, IPB, or V-Bulletin offer on how to switch to IP, IPB, phpBB3 or any other forum whatever ?  

Still, one could be forgiven for asking such a stupid question, while MG is apparently still undecided whether or not Icy Phoenix has both the credibility and the guts to stand on its own merits, and drop all association with, and stop supporting phpBB3 on what SHOULD be predominately an ICY PHOENIX site.

I have to be totally honest here and drop the hammer!

I came to Icyphoenix looking for a better BB system and what I have found is something that looks really nice but at the end it is very difficult to maintain as an end user. I have no knowledge about MySQL and my PHP knowledge is very limited. Do you want to call me stupid again?

Everytime I updated to a newer version of IP I found myself in trouble, having 404 errors, blank pages, and parse errors, even now, after I lost all info on database because it got corrupted on an attempt to upgrade to the last version (got corrupted using the DB Backup script withing IP) I had to perform clean installation and still had problems with 500 errors!

Just recently I performed a DB maintanence routing from ACP and ended up with another parse error from functions_calendar.php, I opened a topic asking for help and NO ONE had the courtesy to even say "I'm sorry, try this or that"

I downloaded the Black Pearl themes and the Spanish pack for it... I had to rename all buttons in the Spanish pack 'cause they did not work. For two years or so, I have been on a roller coaster with IP and have come to a point where I can no longer afford to keep using it, hence the STUPID question if there is a script to revert back to phpBB2 to safely go to whatever BB system I want without having to lose all information again.

I am really glad you are so happy about IP, but I am not that happy about it and for what I read I'm not the only one who feels this way.

All I want to do is move on to another system. Is that a crime?

I know my head is probably going to roll on this one and if that happens I'm ok with it.      

And one more thing:

When we, the stupid ones, come to this site looking for help and asking nicely about how to fix or do something to the more experienced users it is very frustrating to find this kind of answers (look at the shoutbox):

ip

We know support here is free and out of the good heart of those who help, but Mr. Lopalong seems to be someone not worthy of being part of the staff as he is not considerate with the rest of us mortals.

BIG BOSS

BIG BOSSSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Please guys do not flame.

Everyone is free to use the platform or php package he prefers. We are not being payed to mantain Icy Phoenix, and we love open source, so there is no competition towards phpBB. I have always loved phpBB community and I'm still an active contributor to the project (even if recently I have only released styles for phpBB).

The reason why I don't provide automated convertors from Icy Phoenix to phpBB is that I really don't have the time to develop them. I don't have any automated tool to convert Icy Phoenix back to phpBB 2 or phpBB 3, otherwise I would have shared it.

Conversion is not an easy task because it requires to be aware of the target DB structure. Plus Icy Phoenix differs from the way phpBB 3 process posts, and that would require a special conversion (post by post) to add back bbcode uid or to re-parse special chars (this is just an example).

Currently I'm deeply involved in re-coding the project for UTF-8 support and some other security improvements (one of the latest commits shows that I have edited something like 70.000 lines of code in a month https://www.ohloh.net/p/icyphoenix/commits/69972944... ), and I really don't have time for supporting users as well. I can understand that some users may get frustrated for this reason, so I agree that users who needs help should move to another (better supported) platform like phpBB 3 or vBulletin.

I'm not forcing anyone to keep using Icy Phoenix, but keep in mind that I'm doing all this for free (I have also re-invested some of the few donations received to improve the package) and I cannot offer the same standards some other project may offer.

I believe that best way to get a converter is asking @ phpbb.com which has a great user base, you may find there someone which is willing to help.

I will try to code an automated phpBB 3 to Icy Phoenix conversion for next release, but I won't promise that, and almost for sure I will not provide a way back (again, because lacking of time).

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

MG,

I appreciate your response. There are only a handfull of people like you who are willing to dedicate time to produce things like Icy Phoenix. My hat is off for you!

I apologize for my previous post but lopalong calling us stupid was uncalled for. Anyways, I have been to phpBB forums trying to get help about going from IP to it without luck.

I had to disable the calendar row in forums in order to prevent the parse error again.

Everything seems to be working fine for the time being. I just hope not to encounter any more bumps on the road.

BIG BOSS

BIG BOSSSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]

Thank you
Regards

We ask this as a part of the php board community and purely requesting support.

BIG BOSS wrote: [View Post]
MG,

I appreciate your response. There are only a handfull of people like you who are willing to dedicate time to produce things like Icy Phoenix. My hat is off for you!

I apologize for my previous post but lopalong calling us stupid was uncalled for. Anyways, I have been to phpBB forums trying to get help about going from IP to it without luck.

I had to disable the calendar row in forums in order to prevent the parse error again.

Everything seems to be working fine for the time being. I just hope not to encounter any more bumps on the road.

Conversion topic is currently here - still pending a reply.

PedigreeSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

If have some basic knowledge about Icy Phoenix and phpBB 3 works I can provide you a couple of files which may help in the conversion, but as I told these files are not automated and a lot of manual work could be needed depending on how big is your db and user base. Don't forget that you will also need do resend all passwords because old passwords system is not compatible with phpBB 3.

The new version of Icy Phoenix which I'm working on will be much more easier to be updated to phpBB 3... still BBCodes will not work, but at least passwords, users and forums should be easily ported.

BIG BOSS wrote: [View Post]
MG,

Back to topPage bottom

I have just edited this file so should at least open in Icy Phoenix... but it will not clean correctly Icy Phoenix 1.3 (I guess it should fix correctly Icy Phoenix 1.2), that means that you need to manually edit the code and run SQL statements to properly fix things...

So do whatever you like with this file... do it at your own risk and remember that I will not support it...

phpbb_clean_tables_1_0_9.zip
Description: phpBB Clean Tables New Version! 
Download
Filename: phpbb_clean_tables_1_0_9.zip
Filesize: 41.06 KB
Downloaded: 89 Time(s)

Back to topPage bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML