Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Milky Way Red - Unwanted Textbox Scrolling Using Internet Explorer 

I use this style on my site and have a weird problem when using internet explorer.  When typing a long post (usually containing quotes), the text window automatically scrolls to the top of the post on it's own so you cannot see what you're tying. When you scroll back down, it almost immediately jets back to the top, even though the cursor is still at the end of the post.

What's is a possible cause/fix for this issue?  I even tested the problem on the Milky Way Red demo board, and it existed, so I know it's not the cause of one of my modifications.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

MattTBSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: [STYLE] - Milky Way Red 

hi there Mattb,

i know this problem in a certain SMF board i visit but after testing it here (win7/IE8) i can not see it happen (not in milkyway red[icyphoenix based here] and not in black pearl [phpbb based on my own board])
maybe you re on an older type of explorer like 6 or 7?

i hope someone else can have a small test at this too, because i tried and failed so i can not confirm the bug  

Edit: i even tested it at php.com demo on milkyway red and i don t get this effect you describe there either

it also may be a good idea to post here on what version of phpbb you are ..and what version of milkyway red (maybe you need to update either of them?)

greetings,
...Joshua203

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Joshua203 wrote: [View Post]
hi there Mattb,

i know this problem in a certain SMF board i visit but after testing it here (win7/IE8) i can not see it happen (not in milkyway red[icyphoenix based here] and not in black pearl [phpbb based on my own board])
maybe you re on an older type of explorer like 6 or 7?

i hope someone else can have a small test at this too, because i tried and failed so i can not confirm the bug  

Edit: i even tested it at php.com demo on milkyway red and i don t get this effect you describe there either

it also may be a good idea to post here on what version of phpbb you are ..and what version of milkyway red (maybe you need to update either of them?)

greetings,
...Joshua203

Thanks for your response.

Quote the post you just made above, copy and paste it in the demo using internet explorer, and move the mouse out of the text box.  I just did it, and it definitely jetted back up.  I think I'm using IE9.

Back to topPage bottom

not here (icyphoenix based)
not at php.com (phpbb3 based)

i must admit i did not know IE9 was past demo stage allready and so i have not installed it yet ..so test were on 8

also keep in mind this board here is icy based for both the board and styles demo ..not phpbb3

but either way i can t confirm.. i even added text and blanc lines to the quote

PS im willing to try it at your board, if i don t have to register and if you post a link to it, if you like

PS 2....as far as i can see there is only an official preview out for IE9

Back to topPage bottom

not here (icyphoenix based)
not at php.com (phpbb3 based)

i must admit i did not know IE9 was past demo stage allready and so i have not installed it yet ..so test were on 8

also keep in mind this board here is icy based for both the board and styles demo ..not phpbb3

but either way i can t confirm.. i even added text and blanc lines to the quote

PS im willing to try it at your board, if i don t have to register and if you post a link to it, if you like

PS 2....as far as i can see there is only an official preview out for IE9

You are right.  I'm a firefox user myself; didn't know what version they were up to.  Someone complained about the problem on Internet Explorer, so I tested it using my Internet Explorer (which I just found to be IE8).

The problem exists on the demo board for as well, so if you're not seeing it there, I doubt you'll see it on my site.  Do you know which HTML file would affect something like this?  Maybe I can make an edit or something.

I will say this... I can't figure out what makes it go up.  It's not the amount of text, because one time, I inserted a huge block of text, and it didn't happen.  Then I tried something considerably smaller, and the problem existed.  For example, I tested it with your quote above, and I had to paste it in 3 or 4 times for it to scoot it up.  With your last quote I only had to paste it once, and it did it.  It's kind of frustrating to not know what's causing it.

Using the demo board, can you copy and paste this exactly into the thread box?  Then scroll to the bottom, and move your mouse out of the box.  Pretty sure you'll see what I'm talking about then.  Thanks again for trying to help!  Much appreciated.

Code: [Download] [Hide]
  1. [quote user="Joshua203" post="49166"]not here (icyphoenix based)  
  2. not at php.com (phpbb3 based)  
  4. i must admit i did not know IE9 was past demo stage allready and so i have not installed it yet ..so test were on 8 :wink:  
  6. also keep in mind this board here is icy based for both the board and styles demo ..not phpbb3  
  8. but either way i can t confirm.. i even added text and blanc lines to the quote :mryellow:  
  10. PS im willing to try it at your board, if i don t have to register and if you post a link to it, if you like  
  12. PS 2....as far as i can see there is only an official preview out for IE9[/quote][quote user="Joshua203" post="49166"]not here (icyphoenix based)  
  13. not at php.com (phpbb3 based)  
  15. i must admit i did not know IE9 was past demo stage allready and so i have not installed it yet ..so test were on 8 :wink:  
  17. also keep in mind this board here is icy based for both the board and styles demo ..not phpbb3  
  19. but either way i can t confirm.. i even added text and blanc lines to the quote :mryellow:  
  21. PS im willing to try it at your board, if i don t have to register and if you post a link to it, if you like  
  23. PS 2....as far as i can see there is only an official preview out for IE9[/quote][quote user="Joshua203" post="49166"]not here (icyphoenix based)  
  24. not at php.com (phpbb3 based)  
  26. i must admit i did not know IE9 was past demo stage allready and so i have not installed it yet ..so test were on 8 :wink:  
  28. also keep in mind this board here is icy based for both the board and styles demo ..not phpbb3  
  30. but either way i can t confirm.. i even added text and blanc lines to the quote :mryellow:  
  32. PS im willing to try it at your board, if i don t have to register and if you post a link to it, if you like  
  34. PS 2....as far as i can see there is only an official preview out for IE9[/quote][quote user="Joshua203" post="49166"]not here (icyphoenix based)  
  35. not at php.com (phpbb3 based)  
  37. i must admit i did not know IE9 was past demo stage allready and so i have not installed it yet ..so test were on 8 :wink:  
  39. also keep in mind this board here is icy based for both the board and styles demo ..not phpbb3  
  41. but either way i can t confirm.. i even added text and blanc lines to the quote :mryellow:  
  43. PS im willing to try it at your board, if i don t have to register and if you post a link to it, if you like  
  45. PS 2....as far as i can see there is only an official preview out for IE9[/quote] 

Back to topPage bottom

well before we continue on this, let me try to get someone to move this out of the release thread for us,, because this really is n't a release bug in my opinion

i ll try and get some moderator attention, i hope they dont mind  

EDIT: for the moderator ... the thread starts at post 24 (to make it easy   )

EDIT 2:
well i m not gonna wait till these posts are moved because i can understand you want to solve  

i tested the aboce exact test

i tested adding lines to it too

i tested different explorer settings and screenresolution

i even tested pushing the screen to the second monitor

i can not make the error happen, even switching tabs and back won t make it jump up

i would not edit the board because i don t think it is the board, but if you really want to i ld start by looking  at posting_body.html

but really my guess is explorer settings or pc settings, i could be wrong though  

it would be nice if someone else could confirm these tests either way

Back to topPage bottom

I decided to replace the CSS of my skin with the CSS of another skin just to see if the hover issue still existed; it did not, which indicated this is a CSS problem.

I then found what controlled the hover function in the CSS and removed it. Problem solved. For others using this skin that see this as a problem:

Find and Remove from the CSS:

Code: [Download] [Hide]
  1. input:hover, textarea:hover, select:hover {  
  2.     color: #880000;  
  3.     background-color: #EEEEEE;  
  4.     border: solid 1px #FF5500;  

Thanks Josh for your assistance!

Back to topPage bottom

it s still quite weird that i was unable to get the same error so i can t help wondering if this is really a fix or just breaking this hover feature while coincidentally fixing an error elsewhere (IE settings, system settings or whatever could be the cause)

but if you re okay with it.. who am i to complain    

you re welcome MattTB

Back to topPage bottom

it s still quite weird that i was unable to get the same error so i can t help wondering if this is really a fix or just breaking this hover feature while coincidentally fixing an error elsewhere (IE settings, system settings or whatever could be the cause)

but if you re okay with it.. who am i to complain    

you re welcome MattTB

Just so you don't think I'm nuts:
http://yfrog.com/6fscrollupz

I believe breaking the hover feature is exactly what I did.  I don't get that problem anymore though.  

Back to topPage bottom

no i dont think you re nuts ...like i said in my first reply to you i ve seen this effect before but this was in an SMF board so i knew how it looked, i also agree that if this happens it is verry verry annoying

i do believe the css edit fixed it for you, i m just having a hard time believing this is the real cause of the problem simply because it makes no sence, the logic is missing in the comparisons

anyway i am happy you fixed it to your satisfaction

what i did notice during all these tests is a small style "error" the topic tittle field (subject) is a little too long and it is not closed with a right border, i ve included a screeny of what i mean  

milky_screeny

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Milky Way Red - Unwanted IE Scrolling 

Unfortuantely that is known issue in IE... the problem is the border of the hover property. I have wasted 2 days some times ago in trying to fix this, but with no luck.

I'm glad you solved on your own by removing the hover attributes. Thanks for sharing

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Milky Way Red - Unwanted Textbox Scrolling Using Internet Explorer 

Thank frig for that LOL that was a real pain, removed the css code and is sorted.

Thanks fellas  

batmanSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List