Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post How To Remove Welcome To Icy Phoenix? 

Hi i recently downloaded and installed the latest version of icy phoenix and everything works just fine.
The only thing i don´t really like is the two Welcome to Icy Phoenix boxes or what its called.

How do i remove them? i only want the news left.

I am talking about
http://i54.tinypic.com/25f83lw.png

I have search and i dint find anything, mabye just me who did it wrong.

I am also wondering how to disable so my site wont send any emails, since 000webhost that i am using dont allow this.

// Razer2011

Razer2011Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: How To Remove Welcome To Icy Phoenix? 

Have a looki at: CMS - Personal pages

There should be 2 welcome blocks. just disable or delet them

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Thx a million, one question more before locking the thread, is all mass email settings off when you install icy phoenix?
You see i use 000webhost and they dont like sites that send emails. So i want to turn off every thing that makes the site to send emails to users inkl password recover.

I dont want my site to be closed because of sending emails.

Back to topPage bottom

Razer2011 wrote: [View Post]
one question more before locking the thread, is all mass email settings off when you install icy phoenix?

Try exploring the Admin Control Panel before you ask these type of questions. People do come here to help - Not to spoon-feed those who can't be bothered learning anything.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I am new to icy phoenix, and it is nothing like phpbb3, and thats why i am as asking, dont need to rant on me.
Ofc i want to learn, why do you think i am asking.

Any i got my question answered so this thread can be locked and big thx to spydie for helping me. I guess i have to look and see if i can find all functions that will send emails to others by my self.

Last edited by Razer2011 on Fri 11 Feb, 2011 10:21; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

Please mort, calm down, I think his request is reasonable, even if he should have open another topic for such a request.

In Icy Phoenix there are no possibility for users to send mass emails, but there are several features which sends email: Topics Notifications, Private Messages Notifications, Digests, Email Feature, Tell A Friend... and many others...

There are no easy way to disable all at once.

What you can do is recode the EMAIL class (which is used everywhere) to avoid the emails to be sent once and for all... but users won't either receive an email when they register, and I wouldn't do that.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Thx Mighty Gorgon.

The thing is that i use 000webhost and they dont allow more than 30 emails per 5 minutes and no more than 100 emails per hour.

Back to topPage bottom

Unless you don't have thousands of users, I don't think you will reach limit.

If you have thousands of users it would be not acceptable having such limits... but that's up to you.

Back to topPage bottom

I guess you right, thx a million, now i got all my questions answered

Back to topPage bottom

Quote:
Razer2011   dont need to rant on me.
Ofc i want to learn, why do you think i am asking.

I'm not ranting

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Please mort, calm down,

I don't need to calm down because I take valium or drink vino to do that - Other than that - Neither of them are working!  

I also neither use phpBB3 or Icy Phoenix, but I did install both with XAMPP and spent a considerable time doing a lot of reading before I started answering any questions here.

As far as Icy Phoenix goes:

ACP:

Quote:
User email via board
Users send email to each other via this board  X Enabled  X Disabled

Mass Email / PM

This feature allows you to send private messages or email to either all of your users, or all users in a specific group. To do this, an email will be sent out to the administrative email address supplied, with a blind carbon copy sent to all recipients.
Emails will be sent in several batches: this should circumvent timeout and server-load issues. The status of the mass mail sending will be saved in the db. You can close the window when you want to pause mass-mail-sending (the current batch will be sent out). You can simply continue later from where you left off.
If HTML emails are enabled, then you should write emails using HTML code, inserting <br /> for a line break.
If you chose to send FULL HTML emails, then remember that no template or css is used, so you have to insert a full html code, including HEAD and BODY tags.
Please remember that Mass PM supports only BBCode, if you write a PM in HTML then it will not be correctly shown.

So NO! - Users can't send Mass Emails - ONLY Admin can- - - - -

And if Razer2011 had spent 10% of the time I spent navigating the ACP - He/She needn't have asked the question in the first place.

That's what I meant.  

@Razer2011 - About 99% of ISP's prevent Mass Emailing, else they become known as SPAM SITES or SERVERS and generally become Black-Listed. So don't think that your ISP is any different when it comes to the rules of emailing.

And as Icy Phoenix states: Emails will be sent in several batches: so that it's NOT a flood of emails.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort, I partially agree with you... Mass Emails and Users Emails are just part of the problem.

Actually you can create 10 users, enable digests, topics and forums notifications and starting posting like hell in the forum. The number of emails sent by minute will be really high if you don't raise the flood time for example.

I agree with you that just regarding MASS EMAIL it would have been enough reading in ACP, but this won't solve the whole issue... actually you can still get some "mass emailing" by only answering topics in the forum... or clicking on "Tell A Friend".

I just wanted to clear out this.

I know you spent a lot of time on this website, and you are very helpful. I much appreciate your work, and I really hope you didn't get offended.

By the way... I strongly prefer alcohol versus medicines/drugs!

Back to topPage bottom

actually you can still get some "mass emailing" by only answering topics in the forum... or clicking on "Tell A Friend".

That's to be expected, but as it would NOT normally be the case if one was using his or her website for legitimate  reasons, Then no doubt most IP's would be flexible or have something in place to monitor what's happening  and generate Auto-Warnings - If they don't - Then I could only suggest that the user go somewhere else.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Actually you can create 10 users, enable digests, topics and forums notifications and starting posting like hell in the forum. The number of emails sent by minute will be really high if you don't raise the flood time for example.

I agree with you that just regarding MASS EMAIL it would have been enough reading in ACP, but this won't solve the whole issue... actually you can still get some "mass emailing" by only answering topics in the forum... or clicking on "Tell A Friend".

But you can aswell Disable Digests completly via ACP, and get part of the massmail problem solved.

Actualy, i had my site once hosted on a free hosting, and the mail option was disabled direktly from the hosting, or better said, not even installed, nor did it accept .htaccess files, evry mail function just did´nt even work, but i got a workaround that , using gmail, so my site sended the mails through my gmail acount.

So i do think, that he could try using mail, via an external mail server

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
That's to be expected, but as it would NOT normally be the case if one was using his or her website for legitimate  reasons, Then no doubt most IP's would be flexible or have something in place to monitor what's happening  and generate Auto-Warnings - If they don't - Then I could only suggest that the user go somewhere else.

I didn't mean that only "illegal" use could bring to unwanted mass emailing... but suppose you have thousands of users, you can have mass emails as well just because of normal site activity like posting. Anyway I agree with you that a special feature about that could be very useful. Something similar I was planning to code in the past (also phpBB 3 has something like emails queues now)... but still no chance to implement anything.

spydie wrote: [View Post]
So i do think, that he could try using mail, via an external mail server

That's a very good suggestion. Thanks!

Back to topPage bottom

Hello!

I want to go back to the maintopic: Is there a chance to edit the text of the welcome message?
Just delete them is no true understanding for me, because i'm also totally new to icy and want to know how i can change the text in the welcome box.
Thank you very much!

Greetings...

MySql= 5.1.49

GhostsearcherSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List