Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post PhpBB MyGarage 

Hi guys,

Having Icyphoenix for a while now, and really loving it. It is the most complete package I found so far for my needs. I run a website for a car club and IP really has all that I need. Only now i found a mod for phpbb3 called PhpBBMygarage. So now I am confussed what to use. Standard phpbb forum with this mod (and other mods) or a way to get this mod working on IP. really not knowing how to programm anything in any kind of language I'm asking for your advice.

Would it be possible to addapt the code of the phpbbmygarage mod to work with icyphoenix? Found THIS topic. Is it used for this kind of actions? For me it's really hard to understand. Could someone of you please tell me if this is something a newbie can begin at or is there so many code to change that it would be really hard to do?

And if this is really hard to do, would there be anybody how can do it for me and what would be costs? I really appreciate your thoughts on this one. Thank you very much!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand

Jopie89Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: PhpBB MyGarage 

Jopie89 wrote: 
So now I am confussed what to use. Standard phpbb forum with this mod (and other mods) or a way to get this mod working on IP

The last release of that was in 2008 - and the latest forum posts there are just about all spam, so it appears that there is not much support for it.

And this is about the only site that I can see with an example of how it looks because most of them are dead links in "Showcase" or Spam.

[http://www.hyundaicoupeforums.co.uk/garage.php?sid=4f445abaedf29fce7911fe7a35fcd713]

I'm sure that there would be other "auto trader" programmes available that could possibly be bridged to Icy Phoenix, but! if an unsupported programme is enough to make you consider going to phpBB3 - I would think twice about it.

Note:

This advice is given on the assumption that you will ignore any or all of it!  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi,
honestly I don't know much about that mod.

Having stated that, I would say that if it is almost stand alone wouldn't be tough to be ported (provided who is doing that has some basic PHP knowledge and good Icy Phoenix knowledge).

I would suggest to wait for the new release of Icy Phoenix (can't tell yet how long would it take to release), because it would be easier to port phpBB 3 versions of the mod.

If you really can't wait and really need that mod... then you can use the Customization forum to ask for a quote.

Finally, regarding moving to phpBB 3, you should think about what you really need... do you need a CMS or a forum is enough? Do you need many addons, or just fews? Do you want to rely on a large community base or you prefer a smaller one? That decision is up to you.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Hm... It's mainly a mod to post the photos of your own car so... I'm wondering why can't you use the Gallery Mod, already present in IP, to do something similar ? Feel free to do categories of galleries to suit to your needs. You can even try to find some little mods / changes to do on your own to make it suiter or even change some template files to optimize the design' to your wishes. About porting to phpBB3... MG has said everything : this decision is up to you :/

YrosSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Yros,

I think Petrol Heads need more details that what the current gallery can offer.  

I think that something like this that I've been working with and modifying would not be too hard to bridge. It uses Smarty->Templates and as for the variables and output, they could all be changed to suit more of a member style garage than a dealership.

And while integrated templates and whatnot look nice - One has to consider who is going to maintain it just for any particular forum software.

I was going to try to bridge it earlier with some forum software,

Problem is - It all takes time as I still don't quite know enough about either any forum software that I want to bridge, or the application itself.  

But I'm getting there!  

car1.png
Description:  
Filesize: 225.33 KB
Viewed: 238 Time(s)

car1.png

car2.png
Description:  
Filesize: 170.9 KB
Viewed: 232 Time(s)

car2.png

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Anyway,

If anyone is still interested in bridging an auto-programme, then this one I think is the pick of them.  

http://openautoclassifieds.com/index.php

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

It's not even a mod there... The whole website has been coded in this way on your site so it's impossible to make any kind of bridge... You'd have to start from scratch to code a plug'in / mod similar but it wouldn't be a bridge : it'd be a whole new mod.

Back to topPage bottom

Yros wrote: [View Post]
it'd be a whole new mod.

I'm quite sure that you don't even know what you are talking about?

You give me the impression that in your view someone should re-write the likes of Coppermine to work under Icy Phoenix, when a bridge file does the same thing.

From my perspective with that programme, one could drop the header and footer and create some new pages for Icy Phoenix, while retaining copyright and credit links.

With that it would appear in IP as part of of IP - Though the application templates may be different.

I can fix the core files and merge the databases - You're a designer - So you can code the templates to suit Icy!     

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Yeah sorry Mort', I have misread your second link I almost havn't read at all in fact so I didn't notice it was a mod' page etc. Then never-mind my former post =D I'm still convinced that, with some basic settings in the actual IP, we could do something very similar without having to code anything and simply by using the gallery (Photo Album). You could easily code a block for the CMS part which would looks like the same way as for your sites or the mod phpBB MyGarage

Back to topPage bottom

Guys, I'm a bit lost...

Can you please take a look here and tell me if this is something which may suit your needs?

Ads Plugin For Icy Phoenix - Main Page

Ads Plugin For Icy Phoenix - Ads Page

This is one of the several plugins I have already coded for next Icy Phoenix version...

You can also have a look at the Hot Or Not page which is something really similar but with a different layout...

Foods for thoughts... and feedbacks are welcome.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

@MG,

This my friend could easily be adapted to a "Garage" type application - Without me even looking at it.  

http://www.nuovaimmobiliaresanmarco...=view&ad_id=159

But I'm not a Petrol-Head, so I'm not sure if it would be enough!  

@Yros,

Sometimes one only needs the engine that run a particular programme to create an add-in rather than go into modifying core files for Icy Phoenix etc.

The two pictures show what I mean, even though there's some way to go.

Both pictures are running under phpbb3 as mygames.php and mygames.html and because of that I can add all permissions as to redirects, who can use it - who can't, and all the rest.

What I do have to do is KILL their index.php and simply add what's required to call "Their" functions  (actions), using a new mode array in mygames.php

And if they have any "Permission" strings - I'll have to kill them too, because they will now be controlled by phpBB3

I can't really explain all that may be required - because at the moment, I'm not even sure how much will have be changed. But in essence, it should all be managed by mygames.php.

games-php.jpg
Description:  
Filesize: 186.09 KB
Viewed: 231 Time(s)

games-php.jpg

games2-php.jpg
Description:  
Filesize: 138.77 KB
Viewed: 211 Time(s)

games2-php.jpg

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom