Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Black Pearl Add Link To Home Page Forum Mess Up 

Hi Everyone
I find myself in need of some help,I successfully installed Blackpearl on my phpbb forum on my clan site,and was looking around phpbb site for mods for it,I installed automod and decided to use it to install some mods one of which was to add a home page link to the header,
I have totally screwed my forum up now, I was told by automod that I had to edit some files manually, although this terrified me to death I had a go, I followed the instructions that came with the mod and opened the relavant files (after automod told me it could not find certain lines to edit) and had a go myself,untill i got to overall header.html which totally foxed me,I did not make backups of the php files I changed because I'm dumb and I thought I would Have no trouble) I purged the cache and refreshed the browser,gave up,screamed and pulled out what remained of my hair,started again tried to undo what I did but I am getting phpbb debug errors showing at the top of my ACP and the forum,

please help me out ,I dont want to have to re install the forum (its a wonder I got it to work in the first place) would anyone be able to send me the files I should have backed up so I can just overwrite the broken ones,or could somebody maybe take a look on my site/forum to see the errors shown and maybe help me that way?

these are the files i edited (and didnt back up)
includes/functions.php
includes/ACP/acp_board.php
language/en/common.php
language/en/ACP/board.php

and this is the message  I get when I try to uninstall it using automod
The Find specified by the MOD could not be found
(this is also the message I get on all the other mods I installed that dont work, but thats my next post)
my website is here

www.twat-gentlemans-club.com
there are a few debug errors that dont show on the forum but do in the ACP they relate to index.php

regards and thanx in advance

Pred

Edited by Joshua203, Fri 01 Apr, 2011 04:06: Small title edit to keep things decent
Predator65Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Black Pearl Add Link To Home Page Forum Mess Up 

Hi.

For the errors. Open "/language/en/common.php", remove any characters before the <?php and change the encoding to UTF8 without BOM.

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

could someone move this please to PhpBB.

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

spydie wrote: [View Post]
could someone move this please to PhpBB.

Done!!

And I will try to take a close look for you as soon as I can, right now I should be in bed but you may expect some questions of me soon Predator, meantime don't worry too much about it

EDIT:
PS ..I've also edited your title a little to keep things nice and decent

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Eventhough it's late I've had a quick look and for starters you can redownload black pearl from here:

http://www.icyphoenix.com/styles/do...earl&mode=plain

The files you request will be in that package (unmodified) ...assuming you use phpbb 3.0.8!!
If I were you I would overwrite the full package to be sure there's no left overs from auto mod in any file, but I don't know yet what you managed to modify correctly before things went bad so you might disagree  

Back to topPage bottom

Hi joshua (and others)
Thank you for taking the time to look at my problem for me,(sorry about the bad title)  
I would like to wipe the slate clean and reinstall the whole thing but is there a way I can save the exsisting posts,topics,pictures & member profiles that have been established by my members?
this would be the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem I have, as of this morning I have a bigger problem I tried to login to my ACP and got this message

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2471: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)

I am using the version you quoted and have already downloaded the Black Pearl package because I thought I could just overwrite the files I messed up but I soon realised the files I need are not there untill the install package is installed through the browser,
Is there a way to extract the files I need on my local pc and just replace them on the server via FTP?
Informpro wrote: [View Post]
Hi.

For the errors. Open "/language/en/common.php", remove any characters before the <?php and change the encoding to UTF8 without BOM.

as regards to this post I thank you for trying to assist me but if you read my post there is a mention or two about me being dumb,newbie dont understand even basic coding UTF8 ? BOM ??? (I can see you shaking your head in disbelief but I bet you did not know these things at birth ,you had to learn as well ) this is not a dig at you,I am grateful for your help I just dont understand it

Please help again fast (My members are getting on to me LOL)

Regards

Pred

Predator65Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Sorry I did not notice last night it was non style files you requested, however the style looks pretty messed up too.

I guess the simplest way to do this is overwrite the style files (I think you allready did that now?)

then open up the phpbb3 pack and do as you said (extract the files you need), you should be able to ftp the files to the correct directory or use your hosting control panel ..depending on what your host offers you (cpanel maybe?)

If you do it like that the database will stay intact ..so members, posts .etc will stay, I'm assuming here that none of your added mods also modified the database.

About the lang utf stuff ..make sure when you edit those files...
If you edit online open them in utf8 format
If you edit them with an editor on your homesystem try using PSpad (free and open source) ...never use notepad, word or anything like that

some links for you:
http://www.pspad.com/
http://www.phpbb.com/files/release/phpBB-3.0.8.zip

I hope this helped a little more

PS...whatever file you upload from the phpbb3 pack ...DON'T overwrite config.php and .htaccess!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to topPage bottom

All looks fine again to me Predator ... congrats  

EDIT:
a little piece of advice ..take a backup of the full forum, make a database backup in ACP (forumcontent) and make a full database backup of the forum (forumsetup and content)...and make sure you download copies of that to your own homesystem! (you never know if/when your host will mess things up )

also if you cannot find something in overall header ...make sure you look a little lower (menubar.html)

Goodluck and feel free to open a new topic in the phpbb section (where this post is now) if you have new questions  

Greetings,
...Joshua203

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List