Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Mod Help Please 

Hi everybody
Firstly I wanted to thank Joshua for his assistance in my problem regarding "adding a link to my homepage mess up "fiasco

All sorted now

A new problem I have now regarding mods (hopefuly in the correct place this time)
I have tried to install a number of mods  on my fourum using automod,all of them say they are installed but I cant make ANY of them work, in  the details part it tells of editing this file and that file (this terrifies me after the last mess up I made    ) I was under the impression "Automod"
did it all for you to save me the grief LOL,some of the entries in details are about editing but some of them say that
 "The Find specified by the MOD could not be found "
this is the same with all of the mods I wish to install,are they not compatible with Black
Pearl style?
it askes me to  apply these changes subsilver2 to this template Black Pearl when I hit submit it tels me that the mod is already installed and cannot proceed??
all I want is a few mods to work with black pearl on my forum they are as follows

Add Homepage link in header  
Admin Easy User Delete
NV newspage
National Flags
phpBB Gallery

all uploaded and showing installed ,none work A) because last time i tried to edit I messed up the whole forum
and B )half of the lines that need editing are not found
can anybody offer some help TO A TOTAL N00B AT CODING ETC
would love to have these mods working but can't Darent get them working
thanx again guy's

Pred   

Predator65Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Mod Help Please 

Predator65 wrote: [View Post]
Hi everybody
Firstly I wanted to thank Joshua for his assistance in my problem regarding "adding a link to my homepage mess up "fiasco

All sorted now

A new problem I have now regarding mods (hopefuly in the correct place this time)
I have tried to install a number of mods  on my fourum using automod,all of them say they are installed but I cant make ANY of them work, in  the details part it tells of editing this file and that file (this terrifies me after the last mess up I made    ) I was under the impression "Automod"
did it all for you to save me the grief LOL,some of the entries in details are about editing but some of them say that
 "The Find specified by the MOD could not be found "
this is the same with all of the mods I wish to install,are they not compatible with Black
Pearl style?
it askes me to  apply these changes subsilver2 to this template Black Pearl when I hit submit it tels me that the mod is already installed and cannot proceed??
all I want is a few mods to work with black pearl on my forum they are as follows

Add Homepage link in header  
Admin Easy User Delete
NV newspage
National Flags
phpBB Gallery

all uploaded and showing installed ,none work A) because last time i tried to edit I messed up the whole forum
and B )half of the lines that need editing are not found
can anybody offer some help TO A TOTAL N00B AT CODING ETC
would love to have these mods working but can't Darent get them working
thanx again guy's

Pred   

You could always use IP instead of the standard phpbb as all them mods are premoded and then some  

batmanSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

and you have nothing to modify batman?  

I'm crashing for the rest of my evening Predator (before I collapse after too many hours of being awake)

I promise to get back to you tomorrow, meantime there are some pointers in the last topic you posted about modifying.

Blackpearl just happens to be a little different than usual styles ..wich is probably why we choose it as a favourite  
I never use automod, never have and never will, I like to know what's implemented where!

I'm not going to chew all the mods for you though, so be prepared to open up to learn some stuff.

If anyone else wants to jump in sooner, that would be great too ofcours

Icyphoenics is very nice Predator, Batman is right about that...but if you would have to convert your existing phpbb3 forum to Icy ...well ..ask Batman, I'm sure he has a memory longer than 2 days hahaha  ..joined in february 127 posts upto now  

PS... YES you posted in the correct section this time, Thank you for caring  

See you tomorrow (most likely )

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Joshua203 wrote: [View Post]
and you have nothing to modify batman?  

I'm crashing for the rest of my evening Predator (before I collapse after too many hours of being awake)

I promise to get back to you tomorrow, meantime there are some pointers in the last topic you posted about modifying.

Blackpearl just happens to be a little different than usual styles ..wich is probably why we choose it as a favourite  
I never use automod, never have and never will, I like to know what's implemented where!

I'm not going to chew all the mods for you though, so be prepared to open up to learn some stuff.

If anyone else wants to jump in sooner, that would be great too ofcours

Icyphoenics is very nice Predator, Batman is right about that...but if you would have to convert your existing phpbb3 forum to Icy ...well ..ask Batman, I'm sure he has a memory longer than 2 days hahaha  ..joined in february 127 posts upto now  

PS... YES you posted in the correct section this time, Thank you for caring  

See you tomorrow (most likely )

A lot of my posts are in relation to feedback on my progress whilst modifying stuff.
Ive modified quite a few bits as my site has been up for 7 years, so already had a plan of how I wanted the site to be like, so existing members were familiar with the layout and basic navigation etc.
I believe it helps others when you ask a question then get some advice then post what you did exactly to also customize it to your exact needs and taste.
I like to suss most things out myself, sometimes I just need pointing in the right direction.

No matter how good something is, its always nice to customize it to suit your own personal needs, its just the way I roll hahaha  

Back to topPage bottom

I hope you know what I was trying to explain yesterday, I remember very well how you walked in here ..thats all
I did not mean to start a discussion..  it's simply that neither Icy nor phpBB comes with a manual that says "you don t have to learn how to do anything" or "just unwrap and use"
I hope you know what I mean  

PS.. just a cup of tea and I'll be back with some questions and maybe pointers for Predator  

Edited by Joshua203, Wed 06 Apr, 2011 09:46: cople of adjustments to typo's and lang
Back to topPage bottom

Ok here we go,

First thing to to is think about what it is you would like to use ..Icyphoenix or phpbb3 (to avoid wasting time incase you later decide to convert afterall)

Secondly I think you are going to have to do some serious reading over at phpbb.com to get aquainted with all this stuff and make sure you get yourself some basic knowledge about what you are doing.
Here's some links to start with (using a search at their site to get more info is a good idea too!):

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/?from=submenu
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/?from=submenu
http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/3.0/?from=submenu

etc..etc!

I would also revert again to a clean board (you did make backups of database(s) and forum this time I hope!)
It's quite hard to know where to start unless you know exactly where automod spitted ALL the errors and "cannot's"

I can help you creating a homelink ..no problem ... but you can not expect anyone to manage all those mods for you, you really need to learn to do it yourself
I advice you to stop using auto mod and learn to walk through the modx files manually (if you do this step by step and exactly how it's written ...well .. then it should not be toooo hard.

Never install a bunch of mods at the rate you do, install one and start checking/testing it... otherwise I assure you you will get lost in all bugs errors and not know what is causing it!

If a mod does not work or gave problems ...what's the point installing another and even more then one?
If a mod does not install correct you need to be able to revert before trying another mod  

Well I 'll stop preaching here and await a reply from you, keep in mind ..YOU are the webmaster, so YOU need to learn how to handle it (incase you don't want to start hiring someone to do it all for you, wich I expect is the case here )

Greetings,
...Joshua203

PS.. I did not mean to scare you off but keep in mind ..No matter what software you are going to use to have a forum, you will always need to be able to handle it ...even if it 's only keeping it up to date  

PS 2 ...Please put a link in your profile to your website ..it makes it easy to view what we are talking about or checking errors

Back to topPage bottom

Off Topic
:

I still remember, when i startet using Icy, did´nt have a clou at all.

now i´m much further then that

after spending hour´s and hour´s learning.

But i did have some basic html knowlage.

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Off Topic
:
Yep I agree with that Spydie ...there's no escaping the "learning" part, no matter what the board is based upon  

Back to topPage bottom

Off Topic
:
I hope you know what I was trying to explain yesterday, I remember very well how you walked in here ..thats all
I did not mean to start a discussion..  it's simply that neither Icy nor phpBB comes with a manual that says "you don t have to learn how to do anything" or "just unwrap and use"
I hope you know what I mean  

PS.. just a cup of tea and I'll be back with some questions and maybe pointers for Predator  

It did confuse me a little, not in an offensive way though LOL
I wish I had more time to learn, there's no better feeling than hitting a problem then sussing it out your self.
Unfortunately I'm more on the design side than the coder side, much of it goes over my head.
It may just be me, but has taken a lot of learning curves with IP as its so different to other phpbb based portal systems, in a lot of areas its pretty much been re-written, so much of it isn't familiar in its wording etc. I dread to think how phpbb3 is to edit as there's no TPL files now, I think I would struggle with that a bit?
IP is sort of best of both worlds, which is why I like it so much  

Spydie you've come a long way mate, a real credit to you

Back to topPage bottom

Off Topic
:
It's nice to get users to switch Batman but it's too easy to start shouting switch to icy when we all know editing icy needs a user skill too

and yes I know for sure MG has rewritten an awful lot to make it all convenient .. wich makes it a breed apart

Back to topPage bottom

Off Topic
:
It's nice to get users to switch Batman but it's too easy to start shouting switch to icy when we all know editing icy needs a user skill too

and yes I know for sure MG has rewritten an awful lot to make it all convenient .. wich makes it a breed apart

Of course mate, I was just pointing out that those particular mods are already on IP  

Back to topPage bottom

Ok here we go,

First thing to to is think about what it is you would like to use ..Icyphoenix or phpbb3 (to avoid wasting time incase you later decide to convert afterall)

Secondly I think you are going to have to do some serious reading over at phpbb.com to get aquainted with all this stuff and make sure you get yourself some basic knowledge about what you are doing.
Here's some links to start with (using a search at their site to get more info is a good idea too!):

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/?from=submenu
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/?from=submenu
http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/3.0/?from=submenu

etc..etc!

I would also revert again to a clean board (you did make backups of database(s) and forum this time I hope!)
It's quite hard to know where to start unless you know exactly where automod spitted ALL the errors and "cannot's"

I can help you creating a homelink ..no problem ... but you can not expect anyone to manage all those mods for you, you really need to learn to do it yourself
I advice you to stop using auto mod and learn to walk through the modx files manually (if you do this step by step and exactly how it's written ...well .. then it should not be toooo hard.

Never install a bunch of mods at the rate you do, install one and start checking/testing it... otherwise I assure you you will get lost in all bugs errors and not know what is causing it!

If a mod does not work or gave problems ...what's the point installing another and even more then one?
If a mod does not install correct you need to be able to revert before trying another mod  

Well I 'll stop preaching here and await a reply from you, keep in mind ..YOU are the webmaster, so YOU need to learn how to handle it (incase you don't want to start hiring someone to do it all for you, wich I expect is the case here )

Greetings,
...Joshua203

PS.. I did not mean to scare you off but keep in mind ..No matter what software you are going to use to have a forum, you will always need to be able to handle it ...even if it 's only keeping it up to date  

PS 2 ...Please put a link in your profile to your website ..it makes it easy to view what we are talking about or checking errors

Ok I followed your advice
Forum backup ..Done!
download file editor...Done!
read items in links above ....Done!
put website url in profile ..Done!

now i tried to uninstall the mods I installed but ran into a lot of errors
a lot of finds and inline finds not found by mod,had a go at putting missing lines in files that they were missing from using file editor and then tried  uninstalling again ...nothing new! I just want to get rid of mods then install them fresh and have them work, I know I " a lot stronger word for messed up" but I'm trying my best to resolve the problems
when it says mod cant find whatever line where do i enter the missing line in the document using the file editor ?? anyone know ?

how do you install a mod without auto mod ,cant seem to find any install instructions in the zip files (none that make sense anyway) I dont mind doing the work to make the mods work but I need a rung to start up the ladder from no matter what I do it does nothing,does not even look like anythings changed, I could understand if the mod partially worked and I had to change a few things to fix it but it says it's installed but I see no evidence.

sorry to be a lost cause I dont mean to be I just sit here messing around blindly getting (in my view ) no where fast.

any help with these questions would be appreciated

Regards

Pred       

Back to topPage bottom

Ok I followed your advice
Forum backup ..Done!
download file editor...Done!
read items in links above ....Done!
put website url in profile ..Done!

Great ..thanks ..sorry for sounding like a teacher (if I did)

I'm going to assume you reverted to a clean board again ...I understand this hurts but it 's the safest way to avoid floating, forgotten pieces of code of a partly installed or partly uninstalled mod  

If you do some more reading you will surely find explanations of MODX files (these are the manuals for installing step by step, you need to follow them exactly (line by line)

usually you will find an install.xml file in the zip ...this will tell you how to mod all files (including prosilver style files at the end)

These prosilver edits??? ... forget them ... just skip those edits.
Your style is Subsilver2 based, Usually you would find a separate file for subsilver edits in the contib folder in the package.
That file is the file you want/need for the style edits!!

These MODX files you can only open in a readable form after you have unwrapped the zip!!

Please do try to find the manuals on how to interped the MODX files and read them (even if it's quite simple [like "add before on a blank line" or "add after on a blank like"] there are more comlicated ones [the inline finds and replaces])
Do take good care in reading what the instructions say and mean ... never do this in a hurry (unless you are very experienced ), if needed read what you have to do multiple times to make sure you understand correctly!

when you have done all the edits you see DIY at the bottom of the install files... this tells you what you need to do to make it all active.
Usually this will at least mean you have to purge your cache in ACP.

Don't forget.. black pearl is subsilver based BUT has a few differences to standard subsilver styles (example.. if you can not find something in overall_header.html ... try looking in menu_block.html)

If you really can't find something then it could be that you need to go for the partial find ...meaning it's just partly the same and you need to get creative (wreck your brain alittle)
In case of trouble you would usually have to ask for support in the mods release thread but you can also try here and maybe someone will be nice enough to take a closer look

(do keep in mind the MOD creator will or should always know best and is the one responsible for the MOD... not the style creator!)

hmmm story long enough    ... time for questions if you do have some  

I hope this helped a little more  

Greetings,
...Joshua203

Don't forget ...install and test thouroughly before installing more mods..or you will get lost again and again
If it's all tested and ok then make a new backup (save a few more than one or better..all) before you go for more modifications!

PS.. try to start with something easy (work your way up the ladder in your own tempo), each modx file will tell you at the top how hard it is and how long edits will take (keep in mind you will probably not agree with either (certainly not if you are a beginner ) ... you will take longer at the least

Edited by Joshua203, Thu 14 Apr, 2011 13:59: corrections for undertandibility and readability...LOL
Edited by Joshua203, Thu 14 Apr, 2011 14:05: more edits ...hehehehe
Back to topPage bottom

ok now im losing the will to live
I tried and failed to install a favicon to the board (the most simple of operations to carry out) even a disabled mushroom could complete this task    not Pred it would seem followed to the letter the instructions
as this mod I thought Even I could get to work as the other already installed mods which I cannot even get to uninstall using auto mod or even undoing the edits manually,so my forum is just getting more and more cluttered the longer I go on without begging,it all works ok as a forum but no  mods work or can be uninstalled,the add link to your hombage in header i thought  i had beaten then it threw a spanner in the works saying
The MOD is missing a find matching the action ‘<!-- IF S_SHOW_HOMEPAGE and U_HOMEPAGE -->’ "
does not tell me where it cant find it so I can rectify it ??????

"http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/adding-a-favicon/
uploaded to the appropriate folders/files excetera ................................................................
nothing , no change on the board  nada, zilch    all
I must be even more crainially challenged tha afore mentiond mushroom   
I am now losing the plot, i need assistance from you guys real n00b assistance it would seem.
what I want to end up with
A) A working Forum using Style "Black Pearl"
B) the existing Members,Forum Topics,Posts,avatars,signitures,transferred intact to the new forum
C) I dont care if its PHPBB3 or Icypheonix as long as the mods I want to use are user friendly to ME   and I can keep the Black pearl style ( as Ive tried as best I can to use the same style to construct our clansite there are some errors but it seems to work ok but would like to remove errors if someone could assist me)
So far the ONLY thing I have managed to get right is the installation of the Rank icons, I was so pleased with myself that day  
how do I install the new forum leaving the old in place untill its 100% functional then how do i Swap them over so I only have the working one?

Its not as if I havent given it a go, Im a 46 year old man about to give up and hang myself over something  a schoolkid probably can do whist gaming, doing facebook,sending a text message and eating similtaniously with one hand.
I will quite happily convert to icypheonix if the mods work and the rest of my above criteria are met,I'm in way way over my head it would seem, I follow the rules and do the edits and nothing seems to happen at the end,so i overwrite with the original files and start again the same result nothing, by the time I get this sorted if left on my own computers will be obsolete and I will be too old to turn one on
again I beg you help me with this mess
the first install was scary enough for me let alone removing saving what files I need and re installing (with the constant worry that it will all start over after i reinstall.

Regards and
thanx for reading

Bedankt,danke,dank je well whatever it takes
If I have to beg in dutch  geen probleem ik wil

Pred

Back to topPage bottom

ok now im losing the will to live
I tried and failed to install a favicon to the board (the most simple of operations to carry out) even a disabled mushroom could complete this task    not Pred

Put a favicon (It must be a favicon.ico) in the root of your forum and paste this in the header BEFORE the </head>

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

Then you have to clear all history from FF and clear cache and cookies with IE. And of course - Your Forum cache.

C) I dont care if its PHPBB3 or Icypheonix as long as the mods I want to use are user friendly to ME

That's not quite how it works, as installing just one MOD can make changes so that the next MOD may not install!

There are also updated core and template files in the latest version, and if the MOD version is not suitable for the latest version of phpBB - Then it usually isn't going to install because of that.

You have to learn to read the xml instructions and compare the strings with the core files and which parts won't install - Then you need to edit the xml file and NOT the core and template files so that the mod will install and uninstall automatically in future.

You will also need to keep a list of the Order you installed them in, particularly if you make edits to different mods as you go.

You also need to make sure that you DO know what you are doing when you make edits.  

You also should be asking your questions at phpBB.com where "other" people have the same problems, and half of them may have been solved

Other than that, you need to use something like MyBB that has a Plug-In system.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List