Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post [SOLVED] Quote First Post 

Hi, sorry for my english, i'm italian.

I want to remove the possibilty to quote the first post of every topic from everyone with icy 2.0.

Is it possible?

Last edited by maxweb on Sat 15 Sep, 2012 19:53; edited 1 time in total 
maxwebSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Quote First Post 

It's quite tricky, because you need to remove the buttons and even add a check over posting.php to disallow quoting by manually entering the url.

You can't prevent users to manually copying the text either... unless it is highly formatted they'll be able to quote anyway.

First of all you should create a new check in viewtopic to verify if the post is the first within the topic and then add the condition check in template where QUOTING buttons are.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
It's quite tricky, because you need to remove the buttons and even add a check over posting.php to disallow quoting by manually entering the url.

You can't prevent users to manually copying the text either... unless it is highly formatted they'll be able to quote anyway.

First of all you should create a new check in viewtopic to verify if the post is the first within the topic and then add the condition check in template where QUOTING buttons are.

thanks a lot for your reply but i don't have the capacity to create this mod, sorry. just wait if someone do it...  

Back to topPage bottom

For 1.000.000 euros I can do it right now!  

I'm kidding... unfortunately it cannot be done properly in 5 minutes, it will require roughly 60/90 minutes for a skilled coder knowing the basics of Icy Phoenix. I don't have such a time right now... and I don't think this feature is so useful after all, since users may copy and paste anyway the text...

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: [SOLVED] Quote First Post 

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
For 1.000.000 euros I can do it right now!  

I'm kidding... unfortunately it cannot be done properly in 5 minutes, it will require roughly 60/90 minutes for a skilled coder knowing the basics of Icy Phoenix. I don't have such a time right now... and I don't think this feature is so useful after all, since users may copy and paste anyway the text...

i have fixed with this metod, is correct solution?

Back to topPage bottom

I'm sorry but don't you think it is a little strange to ask a question in 2 sites (wasting coder time by doing this) and then even ask on the other site if the advice given is correct?  

I'm stupid enough to answer ... It will probably remove the quote button from the first post in a thread! nothing more, nothing less.

Please, next time, ask help in one place and give it some time before you post at one of our other sites.

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

without making any controversy but I thought that the subject might be of interest to users of the. com rather than just users. it

Back to topPage bottom

Well if that's what you wanted to do then it would have been great but in this case please..

..post your question in one site
..wait for the right solution
..in case of doubt, test it or wait for more replies? (I can imagine you asking if there is a better solution but not "is this correct?")
..open a topic here and quote the solution ( try to include credits to the helping member )

I hope you understand what I mean Maxweb  

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

The solution proposed only removes the buttons, but it doesn't fix the whole issue, because one can write the address in the address bar and bypass your trick.

Example: http://www.icyphoenix.com/posting.p...&t=8656&p=56868

Back to topPage bottom

@joshua

understood..

@mighty gorgon

it is true that the problem is avoidable as you said, but surely already so many people fail to quote the first post.

if I were able to make the change you say you would have already done, unfortunately I just have to wait for someone maybe able in order

for the moment I can only thank what has been done

Back to topPage bottom

What a waste of time you are going through.  

For example you could change the php script to swap the quote string and button with a reply string and button - just for a trick.

But what if I highlight just (or all) the text I want from the first post and copy/paste it to the next post etc and add the "Quote" (Which is what I do most of the time)

Like this:

Quote:
unfortunately I just have to wait for someone maybe able in order

Or this:

ADD THE USER NAME YOU WANT TO wrote: 
unfortunately I just have to wait for someone maybe able in order

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

@mort

i don't understand what you say but the problem for me is solved partially because when the button is visible users can quote first post can copy url from img and all tag in the post

without button this they can not do so easily ...

Back to topPage bottom

This is your last post that I simply highlighted - copied - and pasted it here.

@mort

i don't understand what you say but the problem for me is solved partially because when the button is visible users can quote first post can copy url from img and all tag in the post

All I need to do is add the "Quote" wrappers to it to make it a quote.

Like this:

Quote:

@mort

So no matter what you do - If people want to quote the first post, they only have to copy the post and add the "Quote" wrappers.

That's why I said that no matter what you come up with - people can still quote the first post even though you may make it just a little bit harder.

maxweb wrote: 
Hi, sorry for my english, i'm italian.

I want to remove the possibility to quote the first post of every topic from everyone with icy 2.0.

Is it possible?

You didn't say anything here about quoting img or url tags - just not quoting the first post.  

As for disabling images in quotes, I thought that IP already had that option - Or was that some other forum software I used to know. Either way it wouldn't be too difficult to add that to IP if it doesn't.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

thanks for your explanation mort....

appearance only in case there was someone who wanted to challenge themselves in this thing, and wanted a "guinea pig" I am ready to give my contribution to what are my chances, thanks

Back to topPage bottom

One of the biggest problems is - People don't bother to use the "Reply" button.

And IMHO reply etc should be directly under the posts, not at the bottom of the page because the quote button becomes too convenient.

Take note MG!  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List