Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Center Avatar - Firefox 

Hey guys, I've been tweaking some code on things I wanted to fix for a while now.
My Boards been up a few years,  Using current Version of Phpbb and Black Pearl.

Looking to fix (2) things.

in IE the Avatar is center - in Firefox it pulls left.
Any way to fix this ?

center2

Part #2 is there also a way to Drop the Username so it's center in the box  

Thanks Much St0ney

St0neySend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Center Avatar - Firefox 

You can try making the avatar and anything you want centered there look like this:

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
<td align="center">

instead of this:

<td>

in this part of the code in viewtopic_body.html:
            <table cellspacing="4" align="center" width="150">
            <!-- IF postrow.ONLINE_IMG -->
            <tr><td>{postrow.ONLINE_IMG}</td></tr>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <!-- IF postrow.RANK_TITLE -->
            <tr><td class="postdetails">{postrow.RANK_TITLE}</td></tr>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <!-- IF postrow.RANK_IMG -->
            <tr><td>{postrow.RANK_IMG}</td></tr>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <!-- IF postrow.POSTER_AVATAR -->
            <tr><td>{postrow.POSTER_AVATAR}</td></tr>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <!-- IF not (postrow.ONLINE_IMG or postrow.RANK_TITLE or postrow.RANK_IMG or postrow.POSTER_AVATAR) -->
            <tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            </table>

About the name field.. I'ld really like to see what is making that field so high (what is on the right of this?)

EDIT: BTW you really need to update your phpbb and/or style  

Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Try replacing that table script with one of these

This will give it horizontal spacing.

<div style="text-align: center;">
            <p>{postrow.ONLINE_IMG}</p>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <p class="postdetails">{postrow.RANK_TITLE}</p>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <p>{postrow.RANK_IMG}</p>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <p>{postrow.POSTER_AVATAR}</p>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <!-- IF not (postrow.ONLINE_IMG or postrow.RANK_TITLE or postrow.RANK_IMG or postrow.POSTER_AVATAR) -->
            <p>&nbsp;</p>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            </div>

This will tighten up the horizontal spacing.

<div style="text-align: center;">
            <div>{postrow.ONLINE_IMG}</div>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <div class="postdetails">{postrow.RANK_TITLE}</div>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <div>{postrow.RANK_IMG}</div>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <div>{postrow.POSTER_AVATAR}</div>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            <div>&nbsp;</div>
            <!-- ENDIF -->
            </div>

If you need to force the width you can change the main <div to:

<div style="text-align: center; width: 150px;">

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Joshua203: the code you posted was what I had, But thanks.

mort : That did the Trick on the Avatar - Thank You Very Much !
And also for posting the "<div style="text-align: center; width: 150px;">" Code.
I needed it  

About the Usernames being High.
It's because of a Facebook (Like) Mod I have in place. (sorry should have mentioned that, in the first post)

username

I would still like to drop it center somehow.
(just don't know where to look)

Thanks
St0ney

Back to topPage bottom

St0ney wrote: [View Post]
I would still like to drop it center somehow.
(just don't know where to look)

Yeah! well this was never going to work properly and used to be the lazy way of doing things for IE6   .
<table cellspacing="4" align="center" width="150">

Nowadays it's more like what Joshua meant about <td doing the work.

<table class="whatever" width="100%" (or nothing) cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
      <tr>
          <td class="" width="150" align="center">
<table class="whatever" width="100%" (or no width at all) cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<tr>
<td class="">

The rest of the markup.

</td>
</tr>
</table>
        </td>
      </tr>
</table>

And so on - There's lots of ways to do it - some are the wrong ways.

As for your other problem - If I could see the back end of your site I could more than likely tell you how to fix it, but I'm sure as hell not logging into your site just to read the view-source to see what the problem is.

And if you are going to ask questions about a site that's not publicly available - Then you had better get used to supplying a test USER account and PASSWORD.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]

As for your other problem - If I could see the back end of your site I could more than likely tell you how to fix it, but I'm sure as hell not logging into your site just to read the view-source to see what the problem is.

And if you are going to ask questions about a site that's not publicly available - Then you had better get used to supplying a test USER account and PASSWORD.  

Geez Mort Relax - Your Frustration / Anger is Unwarranted !!!!  
Where in my post did (I) ask you to go to my Forum???  Where in your post did you ask me to post a link so you can Help ?

I understand that you went there, to try and help me,  to Fix what's troubling me.

I have the Forum on Force Log in to De-Lurk the Forum, And it Worked,  It's a Halloween Forum/Site.
And When I enabled forced Log In, The Forum members grew another 100 and Many are now Posting instead of just Lurking/Reading.

Now After I made the Above Post,  I played around with the Code, to see if I can fix it myself.
And I did Find a simple Fix - through Trial and Error, I'm not a programmer, So I will change something, Refresh the template, and see what I get.

Now with the Restriction Set on this Forum, that a User can not Post in a 24 hour Period
I was not able to post an hour Later - that I worked things out on my own.

The Fix Was Found in the /styles/black_pearl/theme/stylesheet.css  File

First Change:  I changed the Font size so it fills the Box More.
And Edited the Registration Page.
Username length: Minimum and maximum number of characters in usernames. to 15 So it Fits with the new Size.

.postauthor {
    color: #FFCC33;
    font-size: 1.5em;
}

The Next Change was: Changed top to center.

.row-post-top {
    background-color: #111111;
    border: solid 1px #181818;
    border-right-color: #222222;
    border-bottom-color: #222222;
    vertical-align: center;
}

I also went back to the code you gave me and added some page breaks.

Which now gives me this:

username_aa

So Please in the Future, Don't make a guy look like a Dick, unless he's a Dick !  

Thanks For your Help !

St0ney

Back to topPage bottom

Quote:
Hey guys, I've been tweaking some code on things I wanted to fix for a while now.

Frustration NO - And this is not specifically aimed at you!

You've got/have/had problems and you've been tweaking, and the best way for someone to resolve an issue is generally to see what and if the tweaking may have buggered up.

And when you've had so many dick's with so many incomplete explanations of what they have done/changed and where they have done it, or don't even mention that they have been stuffing around with/adding to/changing the script, (so it's all someone else's fault that it's broken) and don't post links to their "forums" with or without test-user names and passwords.

Or in their profile don't post the url to their website, or they post a url to non-public forum, which doesn't have any publicly accessible forums/categories and people waste their time looking to see if there is at least one "Public Forum" available.

And I didn't need to ask for a url to your forum because it's in your profile - And for all the good it is to a support site - It may as well not be there.

Because Then - - - - - I would have asked for a link/test user/password as many others would no doubt do. And then you could have told me that you have fixed it somewhat.

Frustration - - - NO it's worse than that at times, and makes one wonder why one bothers when some users are so hell-bent on putting in as many obstacles as possible in the way of getting an answer.

View Source is one of the most powerful tools in helping to resolve problems, or even to make suggestions. Anything other than that with most of those who have been "playing/tweaking" - It's guesswork that gets a lot of wrong suggestions/answers and generally turns the thread into a boring dialogue full of rubbish.

Anyway, thanks for the thank you, because that's what makes it worthwhile sometimes - even if one has to bash them with a brick.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Okay I See where your coming from now.

About my Quote above, I have been tweaking Code, and Have been Successful, With many of the things that I wanted to change. (to my liking).
Over the past few years I have tweaked this style, with Mods, graphic changes, code changes etc....

Posting here: does not mean that I screwed something up, and need someone to come and Fix my mistakes.
And believe me, I only post, after I search the Support forums & Google, and can't find a suitable answer.
I posted here, because I finally hit a wall on something, That I could not figure out on my own. (well I did with more trial and error)

If I knew you were going to go to my forum, I actually would have disabled the Force log in. It's a Mod, and only requires a click.

Now from my stand point, if I post an Image - of what I'm looking to do.
Example:  Moving the Username center of the box,  I know if "Mighty Gorgon" Saw that image, he would have pointed me to the css file and the simple code change.
to change the one word from "top" to "center"

My Thank You is Genuine, and Sincere,
I would have never figured out that chuck of code you posted. that I used.

Some of us are just lost souls when it comes to some of the "Programming Code" .

I came here for some help, got it, and a slap on the ass.  

Peace
St0ney

Back to topPage bottom

Anyway mate no offence was taken by what you said, so world war three is still a long way off.  

Example:  Moving the Username center of the box,  I know if "Mighty Gorgon" Saw that image, he would have pointed me to the css file and the simple code change.
to change the one word from "top" to "center"

This is where view-source is your best friend - Pick a keyword/line from where you want to change something - Go to view-source and find the keywords, then you can see what classes/id's are used there and just find those in the css and have a play. Saves heaps of time playing or waiting for someone to help.

But a word of caution to the unwise - Changing the css just for "one" block is going to change the appearance of everything else where the class/id is used, and sometimes that's not a good thing. So it may be wiser to add a "center class" .center {text-align: center;} and edit the affected html.

For example.

<div class="content-b floatr width10 left boldp">Something here</div>

= <div class="The content-b background/color/padding etc" style="float: right; width: 10%; text-align: left; font-weight: bold;">Something here</div>

Love it!  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Well I'm going to slap two buts on top of this all   ..

Could the both of you remember to use codetags again in the future?

And I'm not trying to light up the discussion about this again because I guess all has been said but I have to agree with Mort on this one.

If Mort would have been really annoyed, it would have sounded very differently.

Take care and please mark this as SOLVED St0ney (Tile edit >> right bottom)

EDIT:
Sorry my suggestion did not work for you but it does for me (feel free to take a look)

Back to topPage bottom

Yours works Josh because you haven't been fixing it until you broke it, and I didn't want to break Stoney's heart any more by suggesting that there is no such thing as vertical-align: center; and it's just how the browsers decipher the best way to handle bad script.

FF by default aligns text left - IE by default aligns it centre (Which is the correct way) as it exposes badly written markup/css that has no text handlers which are particularly useful for RTL and LTR.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_pos_vertical-align.asp

And then there's valign="top" etc for html - and on and on it goes.  

And I'm still only a learner!  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
Yours works Josh because you haven't been fixing it until you broke it, and I didn't want to break Stoney's heart any more by suggesting that there is no such thing as vertical-align: center; and it's just how the browsers decipher the best way to handle bad script.

Well this is still getting OLD for me.

Mort, I never changed a Single Word or letter in that Piece of Code.
When I came here, it was to look for help, for I did not know where to Look to change it.

I wanted to CHANGE the way it Looked - NOT Get a FIX on something I Broke !

You keep using my line about Fixing and Tweaking to mean I F'd up the code on my board.
Again that simple means, that I changed graphics, Font colors, font sizes, Added some Approved MODS to the Forum.

I didn't even Attempt to FIX or CHANGE, what I came here to Find Help on !

Josh, Posted the Above Code and what Page it was on,  I replaced what was there, with what he posted.
and it did not take, (after refreshing the Template).  The Replace was on the "ORIGINAL CODE" that was Downloaded from Here.
(Unless a Approved MOD) Made changes to that code when it was installed).

I don't know why it did not Take - but it Did not Take - I then used your code and it Took.

I don't See the reason you have for keep taking Shots at me.  "fixing it until you broke it"

My Heart is not going to get broken about there being no such thing as "vertical-align: center;"
But it Did Drop the username where I wanted it, So I just looked up "vertical-align: center;" (based on your comment)

And just Changed the word from "Center" to "Middle"  (both gave the Same result)
But I guess if there is no such thing as vertical-align: center - I should keep it as Middle.

You would think on a Support Forum, someone willing to help others would just say Change center to middle - for there's no such thing as "vertical-align: center;"
Instead of making them look like an ASS,

When I downloaded this Style a few years back, I donated to this site,
And with the Help that I received, Here recently, I will donate again.

But I will think twice before Posting a HELP type question on here again.

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: [SOLVED] Center Avatar - Firefox 

You're right Stoney and I'm sorry that I make references that keep taking the mickey out of the subject.

Next time we'll do things better.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Glad to see this guys.

But a short reply to conclude maybe?

1. senses of humor differ and especially in writing this is even worse, bigger chance of having miscommunications
If I would have been feeling better I'd probably have tried to contact Stoney in private.

Darn, I should not be behind a computer these days

PS @ Mort:
This definatly reminds me of a certain PM contact we had a while ago

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List