Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Chat Problem With Internet Explorer 

I know that Internet Explorer sucks, and users that insists in using it suck even more, but I'm sure all of we have these users and they want to use it (don't ask me why   ).

The problem my users are having, is that the shoutbox of the chat does not show and they can't use it. The same user can use it if he uses FF for example.

here a preview of how they see it:

foto01ph

213lnxy

And the error returned by IExplorer is:

Line: 996
Character: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://www.club-205.com/forum/ajax_chat.php

If I use IE in my website I get the same error, but I works properly here at www.icyphoenix.com. The files where uploaded from the original tar an extracted there, so I don't think it's possible to have them wrong.

I think all of you for your help

jefazo666Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Chat Problem With Internet Explorer 

chat work perfectly for me in IE9

ie_1352867634_686591

but i dont have IE below version 9

maybe someone else can test it

username: jefecillo
password: icyphoenix

LimunSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

jefazo666 wrote: [View Post]
I know that Internet Explorer sucks, and users that insists in using it suck even more, but I'm sure all of we have these users and they want to use it (don't ask me why   ).

Please spare us that type of opinion because half of the twits that use IE don't even know or learn how to set it up, or they are using an old version that is incompatible with what is being used today. And I also believe that people have stopped making things backward-compatible for old versions of anything.

If I use IE in my website I get the same error, but I works properly here at www.icyphoenix.com.

I think it's trying to tell you something that's it's not an Icy Phoenix problem.

It works for me with Win8 and IE9 - But you fail to say who is using what, which version of IE they are using and very much little else.

And the other problem is, none of us are mind-readers or beta-testers for other websites who go about changing things. So please install a second "Default" version as a test forum and see if your problems still exist with that?

Because you are having more problems than a cat in a dog pound.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]

Please spare us that type of opinion because half of the twits that use IE don't even know or learn how to set it up, or they are using an old version that is incompatible with what is being used today. And I also believe that people have stopped making things backward-compatible for old versions of anything.

If I use IE in my website I get the same error, but I works properly here at www.icyphoenix.com.

I think it's trying to tell you something that's it's not an Icy Phoenix problem.

It works for me with Win8 and IE9 - But you fail to say who is using what, which version of IE they are using and very much little else.

And the other problem is, none of us are mind-readers or beta-testers for other websites who go about changing things. So please install a second "Default" version as a test forum and see if your problems still exist with that?

Because you are having more problems than a cat in a dog pound.

I'm sorry mort if anything of I said made any kind of injury in you. I was joking about IE and I don't really think that people who use is it Stupid or something like that. I am not coming here to make enemies or disturb people, my intentions are learn and cooperate.

For further information, Windows XP allows you to install until internet explorer 8 versions. I would like my website available too for people without money enough to renew their computers, and people without so much knowledge about computers. As a developer, my opinions is that services should be adapted to users, not users adapt to services.

I don't know why do you think my website has any kind of fix by me. All I did was following the instructions here founded. There are some modifications at styles, but there is a difference too high between the view and the controller.

Finally, I am sorry for make all this questions, I thought support means support, not support with quota.

Adding info to the main topic:

Users with this problems use Internet Explorer 8 or older. Sorry for don't mentioned it before.
the problem is right here:

./templates/default/ajax_shoutbox_js.tpl

function checkStatus(focusState)
{
    var text = $("#chatbarText");
    var submit = $("#submit");
    submit.attr("disabled", ((text.val().trim() != "") || (focusState == "active")) ? false : true);
}

it seems that internet explorer 8 and olders versions don't acept the submit button to have the disabled attribute. I have been browsing about this in the web, but I don't have any Idea about AJAX, so I can't move fast solving this. Any help will be welcome.

Back to topPage bottom

I would like my website available too for people without money enough to renew their computers, and people without so much knowledge about computers. As a developer, my opinions is that services should be adapted to users, not users adapt to services.

TAke that to the developers of the FLashCHat and see what sort of response you get.

And what a bout IE 6 and 7 - Some still use them too. ?

Why should people who create things adapt for those still living in the past and using software over 10 years old. ?

I used to do a lot of stuff that had to be modified for IE, opera and even chrome and at times for FF too.

Should programmers now have "Old" OS's and browser versions on hand just to test stuff for those who can't use IE7 or 8 any longer. - - - No mate - Let them use FF or something else. It's not as if there isn't an alternative.

IE6,7 and 8 are "Dead"

It's time to move on.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I would like my website available too for people without money enough to renew their computers, and people without so much knowledge about computers. As a developer, my opinions is that services should be adapted to users, not users adapt to services.

TAke that to the developers of the FLashCHat and see what sort of response you get.

And what a bout IE 6 and 7 - Some still use them too. ?

Why should people who create things adapt for those still living in the past and using software over 10 years old. ?

I used to do a lot of stuff that had to be modified for IE, opera and even chrome and at times for FF too.

Should programmers now have "Old" OS's and browser versions on hand just to test stuff for those who can't use IE7 or 8 any longer. - - - No mate - Let them use FF or something else. It's not as if there isn't an alternative.

IE6,7 and 8 are "Dead"

It's time to move on.  
This is your opinion and theirs.

Mine is yet written. If you don't want to try to fix this, I can understand, but please let people who want, do it.

Back to topPage bottom

you wrote: 

me wrote: 

People can please themselves what they get involved in trying to fix - But everyone needs a baseline starting point.

And the best baseline you could provide is to do a "virgin" install of IPv2.0 as something like "testsite" and then test the chat.

If it works that's fine - Then you could copy your existing Db, edit it and rename the path to testsite and test it with that.

If it still works - then you need to look at the changes you may have made that causes the chat to fail, like adding other javascript, or modifying code.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's not working for you on your site but it does here, and that no one else seems to be having the same problem. Then you have to start with a fresh install of IP and work it up from there until something breaks. Other than that it's going to be mostly guesswork - and that doesn't really help at all.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Please try to replace
Code: [Download] [Hide]
  1.     submit.attr("disabled", ((text.val().trim() != "") || (focusState == "active")) ? false : true); 
with
Code: [Download] [Hide]
  1.     if (!$.browser.msie || ($.browser.msie && Number($.browser.version) > 8)) submit.attr("disabled", ((text.val().trim() != "") || (focusState == "active")) ? false : true); 
Very hacky, but should work.

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for your answers.

Info that I wrote before:

There is not any change on the code by me. It's recently upgraded from 1.2.0.27c.
Also tried with clean install and the result is the same.

New Info:

Retested here the chat at Icy phoenix with IE8:
- No errors reported by IE if you are not logged in and Guest are allowed into the chat. But I can't write nothing, I think this is a result of the configuration of the board, guest are only allowed to view.
This has sense because the problem is the submit button and its properties, and when the guest are not allowed to write, there is no submit button.

- If I log in here at Icy Phoenix the problems it the same. Always with IE8.

Retested at my website:
- Same exact results (obvious, the code is the same). Error reported by IE only if I can see the submit button.

Retested again with clean Install at localhost
- Same exact results.

Next step will be try InformPro suggestion. Thanks InformPro

Edit: there is a better solution than this showed here.
Spoiler: [ Show ]

Just a bit of research from the developer and a lot of users with windows XP happy.

Thanks InformPro for the guide and mort for the same.

Last edited by jefazo666 on Mon 19 Nov, 2012 13:35; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

I did add another possibility for testing some of the functions - But it appears that you have solved it.

Well done - It's a credit to your ability and persistence.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I see that you edited your answer. Anyway I will explain this script:

Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
if(typeof String.prototype.trim !== 'function') { // If string prototype does not have trim function
          String.prototype.trim = function() { // create trim function for String prototype
            return this.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, '');  // implementation with RE for trim function.
          }
    }

I think now is more clear. For understand the RE take a look at wikipedia, because is a bit longer to explain, and my english level is not enough.

I hope again this can help anybody.

I would like to add further information:

If you clear the trim() at the lines with the problems (2 in total), the chat works fine in all browsers without adding anything.
The point is that as I said before, I have no Idea about AJAX and maybe you are doing this trim on every message for security reasons. If this is the case, then the best fix is to add the code I posted.
If the only reason is visual design, then is better to clear the trim() calling at line 665 from  ./templates/default/ajax_shoutbox_functions_js.tpl and line 36 of ./templates/default/ajax_shoutbox_js.tpl and the chat will work fine in all browsers too.

I don't know how, but the spaces are cleared the same without the trim().

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for the link you posted as it highlighted the problem.

And particularly this from one observer.

Quote:
8      Get over it. All browsers have differences, you can't expect a browser to support features that were introduced in standards after it was released. – RobG Dec 22 '11 at 0:20

4      Sure I can, its called an update. – CountMurphy Jun 12 at 23:54

4 = The problem is that MS no longer support XP or IE8, so as things progress, there is no doubt more patches may need to be created to keep IE8 alive.

It's where to draw the line under trying to keep it alive it is the question. ?  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for the link you posted as it highlighted the problem.

And particularly this from one observer.

Quote:
8      Get over it. All browsers have differences, you can't expect a browser to support features that were introduced in standards after it was released. – RobG Dec 22 '11 at 0:20

4      Sure I can, its called an update. – CountMurphy Jun 12 at 23:54

4 = The problem is that MS no longer support XP or IE8, so as things progress, there is no doubt more patches may need to be created to keep IE8 alive.

It's where to draw the line under trying to keep it alive it is the question. ?  
42,5% of global users use WinXP

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: [SOLVED] Chat Problem With Internet Explorer 

but XP died aswell some time ago, if i´m not wrong

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: [SOLVED] Chat Problem With Internet Explorer 

spydie wrote: [View Post]
but XP died aswell some time ago, if i´m not wrong
What do you mean with died? If it is still installed in the 42% of the computers of the world, the 2nd OS most used, and has been beaten by win7 short time ago, for me this is not dead.

Dead is winMe or win98. But I think this is a question about opinions. Here I only wanted to allow these users who use XP to access the chat. I think this is not an insane idea. I agree with you that one day XP will be so hard to support, but for now, only changing 2 lines of code, does not seem difficult and with this simple work a lot of users can be happy. If you don't agree with this last line, I don't understand why.

I would like to clarify that I didn't came here for claim about the software or make any kind of demand of warranty. I only posted the problem and If anyone does not want to help, there is no problem.

For ending I insist in the question about the use of trim() sending messages. Is this for security reasons? I think is important to know, because without them fix would be easier and the trim seems is being done in another part of the code.

Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List