Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Conducting A Translation Experiment? 

Hey fella's, - - - - Girls  

Anyone want to help in an experiment to convert language files?

I've used a DOS-Based (Shareware) editor since I was XX amount of years old and I've yet to find something that will beat it.

I just need someone to nominate a language - I'll convert it, but then I need that someone to use win-merge to compare the translated strings against the "English Strings"?

In other words - I'll split the lang strings from the variables - Translate them with google - and then put them back together, so most of it would only be verifying that Goog's got it right?

If it's successful - It could save weeks and months of time when converting IP language files or any language files?

I don't want to initially start with IP because the files would have to be prepared in such a way that it doesn't turn out to be a failure - Meaning "All" arrays would have to be above the unchangeable $lang['vars - or the $lang['vars removed and put back after translating.

Needles to say I'm going to nut this out with "My Hobby Site" language files because the structure is the same as IP's and it will give me the opportunity to fine tune what's needed.

So if any of you who are currently converting it for me and haven't got very far yet, this may be a better opportunity for you to participate and a whole lot less hassles.

Chinese Anyone?  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Conducting A Translation Experiment? 

It's nice to see that the enthusiasm for participating in something like this is overwhelming.  

There are two files in the zip - "Left" and "Right" and the translation is done in Italian and is exactly how Google translated it - Errors and all.

As for the errors, they are mostly consistent and nothing that Search and Replace wouldn't fix.

And as for Icy Phoenix files - you wouldn't have all separate files as it would all be joined together into one huge file.
One for the left and one for the right - More on that later.

The picture tells a better story.

Would you prefer to translate everything on the left - or Proof-Read the right and make corrections as you go?

That's the guts of what I'm trying to achieve here - NOT have, or even expect an Auto-Translator to do anything anywhere near perfect.

I'm also not asking ANYONE to mess with the two files, I'm only asking them to have a LOOK at them.

And there is only ONE question here!

Did Google do a good enough job to warrant pursuing this, because I can't understand anything in the right page.

Or am I living in Cloud-Cuckoo-Land -  

test1

And if someone - ANYONE wants to have a look at another language while the presses are running hot - Just let me know and I'll post it.

left_right.zip
Description:  
Download
Filename: left_right.zip
Filesize: 15.85 KB
Downloaded: 274 Time(s)

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

post the spanish and the german one Dave.

i´ll check it over tomorrow

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Done my friend in 60 seconds,  

I don't want you to change anything because this is simply "Did Google do a good job or a bad job? and would it be worthwhile to keep going with this?

right_Spanish_German.zip
Description:  
Download
Filename: right_Spanish_German.zip
Filesize: 24.61 KB
Downloaded: 270 Time(s)

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Overall impression.

Google did a quiet good job.

Only few words missing or not translatet.

some sententences not in the right order of words.

But i could live with it.      

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Hehe!

So I have at least one convert who likes what he sees?  

But there are things that Google completely screws up and that's paths and URL's

Like:

The files must be in the following path - images/forum/ which Google changes images/forum/ to whatever - So we know that.

And:

<a href="http://icyphoenix.com/ - Gets turned into anything? And we know that too!

So there are some things that would need special consideration. But all of that aside, in your own opinion - And I don't want you to do it, because I'm trying to build something here on how it will all be applied and how it will possibly pan out with the least amount of effort.

Question 1.
How long in time do you think it would take you to completely translate just either the German or Spanish files that you have?

Question 2.
Would it help if you had a set of rules or instructions to point out the places or strings that need "Special" attention?

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List