Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Using Auto Translators? 

Hey Fella's - - Girls,  

I need some help with a project I have in mind to make translating language files a lot easier whether it be IP or Mort's little project.

We know that ' and - creates problems for Auto-Translating and words like don't, can't, doesn't and I'll really should be do not, cannot, I will and does not.

And this is what I'm running into with Auto-Translate?

Spanish:
Spoiler: [ Show ]

Italian:

So you can see how apostrophes and hyphens are screwing things up.

If someone can point out and tag any or all of the above as to which lines are better translated - It should give me a better idea on how to rewrite quite a lot of the "English" strings and avoid the stuff that causes the problems.

Yeah! I know Auto-Translators suck at the best of times, but if the "spelling and grammar" is close to the best of one's ability - they don't do such a bad job. And IMHO I would rather be reading something and correcting as necessary, rather than typing hundreds and hundreds of lines.

Anyway - That's what it's all about. Y cualquier comentario sería muy apreciada.

Anyway - That's what it's all about. E tutte le risposte sarebbe molto apprezzato.   

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Using Auto Translators? 

I hope you can do something with this

spanish :

spydieSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Sorry Spydie,

I can't do what you are asking because I'm not the translator.

You will be so to speak.

I'm not asking what it "Should" look like, I'm asking which is the better Auto-Translation?

Because you have taken this first line and changed the second line to something that Google didn't throw up as an option.

Your friend\'s e-mail',
Tu amigo \ 's e-mail',

This is NEVER going to be perfect because it will require proof-reading in every language that it is translated to, and it will be up to the translators to make corrections "In their own way" so that the thing is consistent with their everyday speech.

IMHO - Google should get most of it right and the only way we can know that is to test it. But before I can do that the language files have to be prepared in such a way that it's easy and not difficult to do.

For example I'm going to kick around my Hobby Site language today, and if I can't translate about 900 lines and put it all back together in less than 15 minutes - Then I'm doing something wrong.

I can't use an Icy example until I talk to MG because I/we would have to change some of the file structure.

But what I do need mostly is someone to get involved and nominate a language that they are willing to read through in the other thread otherwise translating anything will be a complete waste of time.

And obviously this person would need to be involved and not "Get around to proof-reading it when they find the time"

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

well.

i got sick of these autotranslators, cause they throw up so much gibbish that it makes it realy hard to understand, what the counterpart want´s to say

Back to topPage bottom

As HAL80? once roughly said - "Auto-Translators are not always the best option for general translation, because people use slang, jargon and don't spell-check anything - Feed it garbage and get garbage back."

But we wont know until we test it - but you appear to have already resigned yourself to the opinion that it ain't going to work anyway.

But, thanks for the input. As it all helps to paint a bigger picture of what the project is up against.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I´ve tried them for quiet a while.

speaking 3 languages fairly well.

testet english to german, english to spanish and viceversa.

the problem with spanish is quiet easy to understand.

there´s so many countrys in south & middle america + spain speaking the same language, but using different slang´s .

most of the people dont even speak propper spanish, or they speak it , but don´t write correct sentences, that´s quiet

normal, that the output from google is a major hickup

and thrown out of context

And i´m not against them. It´s just hard to understand what they translate into.

Back to topPage bottom

Spydie,

I realise all of that as my sister was fluent in both speaking, reading and writing Italian - I say (was) because she is now deceased.

And even she was amused at times that in certain parts of Italy you could say Motradavario (A made up word) while in other places they would cut your throat for saying it...  

Australian Aboriginals have about three hundred different dialects and you are using something like this to promote that it's not going to work.

The same could be said for Deutsch and De - Italian and Sicilian whatever.

And I'm going to ask you to stop throwing this kind of stuff up - The questions were simple and only required a response to which lines did Google translate the best? And now we're discussing something that is irrelevant to what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for your help.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

ok so

use second option of each quest thrown up.  that´s what gets closest at all.

and sry for ot

Back to topPage bottom

Thank you, and no offence but this sort of highlights the problem when mixed languages clash. I've highlighted them so they are easy to see. And I couldn't imagine what Google would return with this.

I´ve tried them for quiet quite a while.

speaking 3 languages fairly well.

testet tested english English to german, German english English to spanish Spanish and viceversa vice-versa.

the problem with spanish Spanish is quiet quite easy to understand.

there´s so many countrys Countries in south & middle America + Spain speaking the same language, but using different slang´s  slang.

most of the people dont don't even speak propper proper Spanish, or they speak it , but don´t write correct sentences, that´s quiet quite normal, that the output from google is a major hickup hiccup  and thrown out of context

And i´m I'm not against them. It´s just hard to understand what they translate into.

And Google or any Auto-Translator would never make any sense of this.

"use second option of each quest thrown up.  that´s what gets closest at all.

and sry for ot"

Web-speak is something I despise no matter where it's used. And on a support forum it's even worse.

U'r gr8 M8 if it wasn't OT, and AFAIK Googs has  a link here - http://design.tazzyt.com/FAQS/Web_Speak_Dictionary.pdf

That Googs itself doesn't understand. So why use it and expect others to be able to translate what you saying into a different language?

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Regarding apostrophes, you should remove all backslashes before submitting the translator... then you can add them back again just by using a find and replace which almost any text editor has.

Italian translation isn't that bad considering that the Italian grammar is so tough... Anyway don't worry that I'll help you with Italian when I'll have some free time.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Apostrophe's Grrrrrrrrrr!  

That's why I separated the language from the arrays because Google had a field day trying to work out what was what.

And I was going to suggest that if in translating and the language strings need/don't need apostrophes - add or remove as required and don't add slashes until finished. then just use S&R as you suggested.

It could make things a lot easier, but it's going to be difficult to set it up for icy phoenix.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List