Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Black Pearl Background Customization Issue 

Love this theme. I am in the process of modifying it to for my warcraft guild with a custom background but I have run into an issue with the background. I have read and rad a million links from google trying to get it to work correctly but no dice I figure I would come to the place the theme came from in hopes of figuring this out.

this is what I am going for:

at first I got the entire background 1920x1080 set but then when it repeats the eagle shows up again as the forum grows. It also took forever to load considering the file was HUGE.

So I created a repeating pattern:

and set it to repeat and it loads fast and since it repeats forever it should be fine with people on bigger resolutions.

Now the issue is how can I get the eagle and the yellow text in position on the right hand side and not repeating?

I scoured the phpbb forums through what seemed like endless posts about people trying to do the same thing but the best I could get was the eagle and text literally ontop of the actual forum with everything shifted down.

Any ideas?

Sadistic is the website if you want to see it live to get an better idea.

IffiSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Black Pearl Background Customization Issue 

From memory,

The header background should be repeat-x and the logo/eagle should be fixed and then you should only need to play with the overall width for the main body of the template.

Can I suggest that you replace what you have done with the original and then change the main 'wrappers' to the width that you want?

As for adding left and right backgrounds and images you need to create other tables or div's above and below the theme to wrap the theme with three columns - One for the left, one for the centre (THE THEME) and one for the right.

Ideally the 'new' columns need to be started after the <body> and finish before the </body>

You would also need to use css to add the background images, and hard-code your SIDE png/gif images into each of the side columns using the paths to the images and some <style to position them.

This may help?

http://www.w3schools.com/html/

Or else you could Google 'how to create three columns html'

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks, I'll try that.

IffiSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

If you get "REALLY" stuck, I'll install phpbb3 on xampp to see what actually needs to be done and we'll take it from there.

And don't forget to check your changes with several browsers including IE because they can drive you nuts if your html isn't squeaky-clean and compatible with all of them.

Edit:

I took sympathy on you because MG does some things that are not what one would expect to find or have to either edit or remove when modifying his templates.

So, all the replacement files and some images are in the zip.

To change the "Side Images" find sadistic.jpg in the overall_header and overall_footer and change it to what you are using.

And you'll find the column anchors after body in the css if you want to move the images around.

Don't forget to clear the cache's when you make the changes.  

sadistic

columns.zip
Description:  
Download
Filename: columns.zip
Filesize: 377.8 KB
Downloaded: 278 Time(s)

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
I took sympathy on you because MG does some things that are not what one would expect to find or have to either edit or remove when modifying his templates.

Ha ha ha...

Anyway under a CSS point of view best would be to use a div with absolute positioning... which will work fine on most configurations. If you want to have everything always in order even with larger or smaller resolutions, TABLE will be best way to go (tables have been deprecated for styling years ago... but it's still the best way sometime!).

Let us know if the files posted by mort solve your issues.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Yeah,

Being phpbb3 it had me thinking for a while and I came to the conclusion that removing the MG_GLOBAL constant and removing the #wrapper was the best way to go and let the columns (table/td's) look after the widths in the css.

Did give divs some thought though - but didn't think it was necessary this time around.

Maybe N E X T time.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Thank you! Wasn't expecting someone to whip it up, was thinking more along the lines of some guidance but yeah that's pretty much what I wanted to do.

Thanks again.

IffiSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

You're welcome - Took me all of about 20 minutes - while I had nothing else to do.

But I'll try not to make a habit of it.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Great support David, thanks.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode