Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Changing $lang[] Variable Values (Rules And Agreement) 

Hello everyone,

After quite some time away from this forum, I'm back to ask a few questions, specifically about the $lang[] variable. We need to change the standard boilerplate text for the rules page and the subscribe agreement page. The actual text is stored in /language/lang_xxx/lang_rules.php and /language/lang_xxx/lang_main_settings.php

FYI, the /includes/usercp_register.php fails to load the rules, and the standard /templates/default/agreement.php template has no code to disply the rules. All you get is the agreement text. I have fixed the former, and the latter in our custom style, which could also be done for the default style, if required.

Unfortunately, if I take the simple approach and modify these files I'll be out of sincronisation with the main Icy Phoenix Github repository, but that seems to be the official way of doing things according to the docs. This type of file modification is also required for other files, such as constants.php however.

Before proceding, I'd just like to know what precautions I should take, if any, before proposing a push to the original Github project.

TIA

John

jhlSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Changing $lang[] Variable Values (Rules And Agreement) 

Perhaps I was in the wrong section. Since I can't think of an alternative that would work with Git, I'll just modify the text files.

John

jhlSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

John,

I don't really understand what you are trying to do because you are talking about changing the default Icy Phoenix.

The rules an faq were at one time both arrays and were switched - They probably still are even though most of the arrays have been taken out of the rules to 'modernise' it and make it easier to read.

If you have a 'better' way that you want to change it to - Do it and run it past MG to see if he wants to incorporate it into the default?

Also, the European legal requirement for forum terms and conditions are quite elaborate, and that's why the Italian 'agreement' contains extra clauses.

Edit:

I meant to add that any changes that are made to the $lang files and variables would also mean modifying and translating the other languages  too - And getting that done these days is another thing altogether.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Sorry I wasn't at all clear with my original message. What I intended to say was that a specific forum (implementation) has to - or at least should - modify the text for rules and subscription agreement. However if a modification to another language file is 'proposed', perhaps a new array element, or correction to an original araay element, then all these modifications get into the push request.

For text (or images for example) in the codebase which must or should intentionally be modified in the implementation, the most common practice is to copy those files giving them new names during installation, but also storing those new filenames as ignorable files in the Git repository. Makes life harder for the implementation maintainer though. If all these 'generated' files had their own directory however, that directory could be kept in a separate (and implementation specific) Git project by the implementation maintainer. This would include not only specific lang files but also the logo image, config file, and some constants.

I hope I have made myself a little clearer.

John

jhlSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I'll let you and MG fight it out!

But bear in mind that MG is not known to make progressive updates by way of publishing file and code changes as he goes along, so everyone is pretty well left to their own devices until the 'next' official release, or has to be a basic programmer to navigate GitHub to collectively upgrade between versions.

And that makes giving support hard work.

If you can improve on that - Go for it.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Before submitting to GITHUB I run some maintenance batch on my local copy, so I avoid to commit files I shouldn't commit.

In any case, if you don't like this approach, we may use a .gitignore file.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List