Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post White Pages After I Installed Guestbook Plugin 

Guys I have searched this site for over 3 hours and read every single thread on white pages.

I installed Guestbook and immediately lost my memberlist, staff pages and all my forums . Pure white pages and nothing else.

Here is EXACTLY what I did in the exact order.

1. Did a COMPLETE site backup
  2. Downloaded a fresh copy of my database with everything in 1000% working order.
  3. Installed Guestbook Plugin
  4. Created a Guestbook and made some comments in my own guestbook and made a fix for a success message as can be seen over on Git.
  5. Went to view memberlist and it was an all white page.
  6. Staff page is now all white
  7. All of my forum categories and threads are still there, I just cant view any topics as the pages are all white.
  8. I resynced ALL forums, cleared all caches, cleared browser cookies and cache AND did a computer reboot. Pages are still all white.
  9. View the pages in Internet Explorer and I get a Internal server 500 error.
  10. Got mad, deleted sub domain, deleted database, deleted ALL files associated with the website. It was 100% gone!
  11. Created a new subdomain flaminghotpeppers.raybrowell.com ,
  12. Uploaded a new databse backup
  13. Uploaded my good site backup files as in 1000% working condition prior to guestbook
  14. CHMOD all files I had to and double checked.
  15. Got excited, went to the site, hit the forums..... WHITE PAGES!  
  16. Just to make 100% sure it was NOT my pc I had my buddy up in Amherst Nova Scotia view my site and he confirmed it is toast.

How can installing a Plugin do this? I had the same problem last week and had to rebuild site from brand new scratch as well. I think I might have posted about it as well. I don't understand.

Just for the hell of it, I installed a BRAND HONKING NEW install of icy and  it was working fantastic. Installed ONLY the guest book, good bye pages. All white again.

On my main site as well as this quick little test site, I did the backdoor thing in the adm folder to clear cache, repair tables and all that, nothing worked.

I don't know what to do boys and really don't feel like building from scratch all over again. I swear to who ever I need to swear to, I did a 100% backup BEFORE I installed the plugin and now even those files don't work. If I ditch my database and start over with fresh database and files, it will run just fine. No 500 server errors, until I install the guestbook.

I am seriously confused. This was going to be my production site.  

MWE_001Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: White Pages After I Installed Guestbook Plugin 

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't reproduce the bug by installing only IP & Guestbooks.... got any pointers?

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

No, no pointers at all man. I wish I could give some.

I just find it odd that I backed up all files and database before installing said plugin. As usual. I always backup before doing anything major to a site such as installing a mod or plugin or what ever. it is just plain good practice. Everything was squeaky clean. 100% working order.

After the install and things went wrong, how can it be possible for me to delete ALL files and database and start from scratch with a 100% good backup that worked prior to and now it don't? I talked to a buddy lastnight who said he got a 500 error a couple times on his server and for me to just go to bed and leave it and come back and it might just work, Nope! Sure didn't. I'm not a server guy at all so I am not sure what is going on.

I am going to take that 100% good database and files backup and put them on another server and see if i don't have a serious cache issue going on. BUT as I pointed out, I am in Illinois, my buddy all the way up in Nova Scotia said he got white pages to. So I'm not sold on the cache issue.

I'm not giving up yet.    I'll report back.

**EDIT**

Ok here goes. I put the clean database and files on a localhost WAMP server and reset cookie path and site path and domain and all was good to go. I had a site. I was able to login and browse the site WITH white pages on memberlist, staff, and all view topics. Now this is real odd. How can this be?

So, I got in the ACP and discover that I still had blogs enabled for a test I did in another thread that Luca asked me to do. I shut it off and cleared xtreme styles cache as well as the ACP cache and my browser. Then I even went as far as to go to adm/erc.php and clear sessions and cache as well. Logged back in, and now I get an error on them pages instead of them being all white.

Call to a member function droplists() on a non-object in C:\wamp\www\flaminghot\memberlist.php on line 107

I look this up and it is in fact the cash mod. that is odd, cash mod is the first plugin I installed on my new wonderful site that has been working since day 1, how can this be? Hmmm Off I go to investigate some more. Back to the ACP I go. Shut off Cashmod double checked blogs were shut off, and cleared all cache blah blah blah,  adm/erc.php yet again, browser.

BINGO! Site is back!!! Full working forums as well as staff and memberlist.

Just out of curiosity so I can't blame the blogs, I went back to ACP and turned blogs back on, cash mod OFF and cleared cache. Went back to site, everything is fine. I come back in ACP turn back on cashmod, BINGO! Back to white pages on staff, memberlist and all view topics.

Informpro, please keep in mind all though my tests were a bit of a success, I still have to keep it in my mind that none of these issues happened until Installed guestbook. I have been working on this site for around 2 weeks or so now give or take and cash mod was the very first plugin I installed and everything worked great! Why all of a sudden now is it corrupt?

I hope I have given you enough data to go on. I try to be as thought out as I can and as thourough as I can in my testing so I can bring you developers as accurate info as possible. Now this was on a WAMP server. I am going to go back to my live server located in texas and try to run a few tests there as well and see if I can confirm there what I just discovered here on my WAMP server.

**EDIT**

Ok I can confirm the same thing on my live server in Texas. I went through same procedures and when I disabled cash mod, all came back to life. As far as me installing icy last night and guestbooks, I had to have been stuck in a loop or something and it had to been a a fluke. I would throw that info right out the window and forget about it as it is a non player in this matter as far as my tests say.

On a side note, I happened to notice this:

screenshot_16

Cash mod was enabled as you can see, but if you look closely at the ACP menu on the left Cash/Points is non existant. Wonder how that happened. So I uninstalled Cash Mod, deleted all files, reinstalled and everything is happy as can be like nothing ever happened on the site.

So valuable lesson learned Again this time that I learned long ago. NEVER work on a live productions site. So from now on it is all on WAMP server and only moved over live once all tests are successful. This is the result of a webmaster being nothing but pure lazy. Now as far as the errors go, that we need to figure out.

Back to topPage bottom

Quote:
Informpro, please keep in mind all though my tests were a bit of a success, I still have to keep it in my mind that none of these issues happened until Installed guestbook. I have been working on this site for around 2 weeks or so now give or take and cash mod was the very first plugin I installed and everything worked great! Why all of a sudden now is it corrupt?
I really can't tell you unless I can reproduce it :(. That's why I'm asking you which steps you took to get that blank screen: so I can reproduce it locally, and fix it.

On another note, you might want to make sure you're running with the versions from GIT, since a few things have been fixed.

Back to topPage bottom

The steps I took to get the error were simple really.

All the downloads I used were from this site in the downloads section. And all alterations done to any of the files, were documented on all my threads were I said I found a fix and to let Luca be the deciding vote. OR fixes that you guys helped me with. No other PERSONAL alterations were made. I can not in good faith change files and alter them to how ever I wish then come back and tell you they don't work.    that would be real wrong LOL

Plain jane install of icy, installed cash mod, album, links, donations, blogs and activity. I built my site and everything was working great. No hiccups at all. I backed up all files as I should have, backed up database, installed Guestbook, clicked F5 in ACP, cleared Cache.

I went and made a guestbook for myself. I then made 3 entries in the guest book. Went to view my profile and it was all white. Went to view memberlist and it was all white. That in turn obviously trashed the staff page. Then I jumped over to the forum where I discovered any topic I tried to view, was all white as well.

And it really is as simple as all that. Nothing more, nothing less. I know it is a PITA to try and figure out. That is why I am trying so hard to test. This is the second time it has happened and am lost why. Hopefully if you can't replicate it, I'll be able to figure it out sooner or later. I am hot on the trail.

Back to topPage bottom

Quote:
All the downloads I used were from this site in the downloads section. And all alterations done to any of the files, were documented on all my threads were I said I found a fix and to let Luca be the deciding vote. OR fixes that you guys helped me with. No other PERSONAL alterations were made. I can not in good faith change files and alter them to how ever I wish then come back and tell you they don't work.    that would be real wrong LOL
Could you give it a try with the versions over at GitHub? They contain more patches.

Quote:
Plain jane install of icy, installed cash mod, album, links, donations, blogs and activity. I built my site and everything was working great. No hiccups at all. I backed up all files as I should have, backed up database, installed Guestbook, clicked F5 in ACP, cleared Cache.
I'm going to try it again tonight.

Quote:
And it really is as simple as all that. Nothing more, nothing less. I know it is a PITA to try and figure out. That is why I am trying so hard to test. This is the second time it has happened and am lost why. Hopefully if you can't replicate it, I'll be able to figure it out sooner or later. I am hot on the trail.
You're doing an amazing job, don't worry. I wish we didn't have as many issues, but you're looking under the skin on things people use all too often.

Back to topPage bottom

Informpro wrote: [View Post]
Quote:
Could you give it a try with the versions over at GitHub? They contain more patches.

Sure thing man. No worries at all. I ran fresh out of disc space on my hosting package but am more than willing to give it a shot on my WAMP server.

Quote:
I'm going to try it again tonight.

Well, for the sake of the project I wish it was just a issue with my server and not a bug. LOL But at any rate, if you need any more ideas as to what I might have done, feel free to give me a shout.

Quote:
You're doing an amazing job, don't worry. I wish we didn't have as many issues, but you're looking under the skin on things people use all too often.

Yeah I do dig a little deep at times man. I STRONGLY push open source as hard as I can to fight the corporations that want to charge money out the ying yang. I try every little button, switch and knob that I can use. If I find issues, I try to fix them if I can. If not, I'll come ask for help. I know our kind of projects are a dieing breed but I just figure if it is available, it needs to work right to give the project a good name. And I know all to well that things are not always right  LOL I learned that quickly working with Dwho and Helterskelter and everyone at Integra. But the best we can do is fix the issues and move on. I do truly hope that any fixes I can help out with are a help out to the community. I can't donate monetary due to life in general but I do have loads of time to spare and all though I am not a pro, I love working on code.  As far as the issues with icy goes as you brought up, they'll go away. All we have to do is toss a little time here or there and eventually it will all work out bingo bango!    I got faith. Icy Phoenix is a awesome little package! I am glad to be but a very small part of the community.

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List