Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Some User Had Registered Several Times, Different Nicknames And E-mails, But The Same IP Address 

This is the same guy, he opened eight accounts, I think he is a spammer.

How can I prevent that problem again, by configuring the ACP? I mean, allow only one IP per account.

Shalom

CristianitaSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Some User Had Registered Several Times, Different Nicknames And E-mails, But The Same IP Address 

Is there some way to avoid this problem? I couldn't find anything...

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Some User Had Registered Several Times, Different Nicknames And E-mails, But The Same IP Address 

Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't see this message earlier!
Icy Phoenix comes in with a feature that prevents the same IP address to be used two times in a row.

Is this enough for you, or do you need more than this?

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi, avatar Informpro!! Very nice to see you again

I think this is enough for me... For now  

Where is this feature?

Back to topPage bottom

That's a good question, actually!
I was sure the feature existed - it's bitten me before - but I'm having troubles finding it again. MG could probably help?

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Informpro wrote: [View Post]
That's a good question, actually!
I was sure the feature existed - it's bitten me before - but I'm having troubles finding it again. MG could probably help?
ha ha ha ha!   I've spent enough time looking for it! But I didn't find any feature like that...

I hope avatar Mighty Gorgon comes to help us  

Back to topPage bottom

Cracker Tracker settings? I am not sure as well either as we speak. I just moved all files to another hard drive and have yet to get my stack working. I will look at it this afternoon and see if I can figure it out. I know it is there..... or so I think  

**UPDATE**

Ok I took a look at this sooner than later. I know me real well and it would have been 3 months from later today before I thought of it again.  

So, I got to digging through the ACP. What I found is in Cracker Tracker, we can set a setting to allow only 1 registration per ip UNTIL another person with another ip registers on the site. That may slow a spammer down.

Now here is the issue and why I see it as a possible reason why phpBB never implemented this feature.

Say for example we have a website called  itsallgood.com   itsallgood is an awesome sight! Now I register. Now my wife wants to register. Now my 3 kids want to register...... and on and on. So by blocking a ip from registering, you may block potential users to your aspiring website.

I'll toss out one more example. In my house there are 3 of us using my house Internet service. 3 of us have a Facebook account. How many of us would have one if only one per IP was allowed? This simply is not a good thing to do. Spammers is a fact of life on forums and as such we have to deal with it accordingly. We ban them.

Speaking of ban or using a single registration per ip; it is easy to defeat. I have used no less than 20 or 30 or more IP addresses logging on here. My ISP refreshes my external IP randomly. If you ban a user, he or she can reset their router and get a new IP and re register. They can use a proxy server, etc.

So the very long answer to the very short question is, yes you can sort of do it although it is only to slow them down.

Login to ACP/Configuration/Ctracker Settings  From there scroll down to Registration Protection System and enable IP watcher.

This is only going to slow them down. if you only have 1 registration per day, they can only register that once instead of 8 times. FIRST, ban the offending user, then do the CTracker setting. They are going to come back, but with this setting enabled, they will only get to register 1 time..... unless they are using a proxy or reset their router.

I hope that helps some. Take care and have a fantastic day.

MWE_001Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom

MWE_001 wrote: [View Post]
............................I hope that helps some. Take care and have a fantastic day.
Oh... my... God... avatar MWE_001 you are awesome  

You're right a thousand times!! I had to use the translator just one time, because your English is very clear!!

Thank you very much, I appreciate your explanation. You can mark SOLVED this topic  

Back to topPage bottom

Hi Cristianita.

Glad I could help. I do not get to get on very often anymore but I give it a try when I can. I am glad you got your issue solved.  

MWE_001Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Sorry, but I totally missed this request...  

Glad you solved!

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Sorry, but I totally missed this request...  

Glad you solved!
Everything is ok, avatar Mighty Gorgon, you have a great staff!!  

Shalom!

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List