Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Turning A Games Platform Into Something Else? 

Hi People,

It won't be too long and all SWF files will need third party software to be played, and that will only be locally etc.

While that's sort of OK there's no sense in me expanding this beast I put together?   And I'm looking for ideas on what to convert it to as there are NOT too many "free" html5 games available.  

The template system is somewhat like Icy Phoenix and the DB is PDO.

So I need some suggestions?

admin_panel

I tried some other images but I'll have to modify the type and size to upload them  

Bit of variety as there are 14 styles of templates.

untitled_1577873839_718083

untitled2_1577873847_655675

untitled3

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Turning A Games Platform Into Something Else? 

I think we're likely to see better swf-to-js converters. There are already quite a few, but they are usually very expensive (the good ones at least).

Still I think too many companies have a huge investment in Flash, and for that reason alone people will create a migration path.

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

You're probably right and I'm running into all sorts of barriers  

It's been 5 years since I did anything with this or any coding, and before then I changed it all to PDO and now I'm looking at it and it all looks like gibberish.

It's either time, old age (73) or the bloody tablets they have me on to force my body muscles to relax.

Trouble is they are also no doubt relaxing my brain, so I'll have to wait until I stop taking them as I don't intend to be spending my time in a fog and hard to concentrate on anything.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Yeah, PDO changed a lot of things. This is why phpBB having its own DB class was actually useful: only the internals had to be be replaced.

I'm not sure yet what's gonna happen in 2020. I still play flash games often, so I have reinstalled the Flash plug-in for my Firefox, but I'm not sure when that will stop being available at all...

InformproSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

I tried to add a flash plugin from Firefox but it didn't work, so currently I'm using swffileplayer as a stand alone and I also don't know if this somehow connects to Adobe or not.

And one thing I don't really like about is that it opens with a splash screen with all the parameters of the swf file and one has to hit the "Play" button from there - Still, beggars can't be choosers so I have to run with it.

I also haven't tried putting a swf file on my "Private" server space and try to connect it to the game as in "Server - to - Client". So I suppose that's is the next scenario?

I know this is hard because with so much stuff available on the web one has problems deciding what to do for free - with the possibility of anything one does will be swamped out much like IcyPhoenix is...

Don't know?

PS: I read somewhere that (I can't remember where / what browser or Adobe ) stated that all support finishes in December 2020.

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

Very nice job you have done!

Are you distributing this somewhere?

Regarding SWF I can't tell what will happen... I think it will slowly die, like many other things on the web...

mort wrote: [View Post]
I know this is hard because with so much stuff available on the web one has problems deciding what to do for free - with the possibility of anything one does will be swamped out much like IcyPhoenix is...

I've started yesterday to read an interesting book about a similar topic...

Here is the TED Talk about it:

YouTube Link

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Hi MG,

No I'm not distributing it or being hosted anywhere either - And I don't want to flog a dead horse in the short time that SWF files will be playable on-line.  

The video from TED just about sums it up - So many choices it's harder to make a choice, and then one has to wonder if any of the other choices would have been better?  

I know there are third-party programs to run SWF, but whether or not they link to adobe to work - I have no idea? but I may just download a few and turn off the modem and find out........  

I think the biggest problem is that continuing to work on it and improve it with device compatible themes etc when one can see the current availability of games shrinking - one has to ask WHY BOTHER?

And the last thing is Are people going to turn to installing third-party software just to play games on computer when they can already play html games on most all forms of OS's?

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

mort wrote: [View Post]
And the last thing is Are people going to turn to installing third-party software just to play games on computer when they can already play html games on most all forms of OS's?

Only few madmen like us!  

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Speak for yourself!  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List