Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Importing Phpbb Database Into IP Database 

Hi there.
I've searched tha other posts about moving from phpbb to IP, including some tips on how to do it.
I've tried some of the "tricks" suggested, but it seems not to be working as expected.
What I really need as support from the experienced IP users and creators would be a step by step tutorial on how one can import a phpbb database (forum structure, contents, members accounts, passwords, avatars, posts and post counts, etc, into a new installed IP board.
All I can say now is that I've tried even replacing the "ip_" prefix with "phpbb_" prefix (asa well as the other way around from "phpbb_" to "ip_" and nothing) and attempted to upload the phpbb dabase as a recovery file, then from the Control Panel (myadmin) replaced the installed database that was installed with the IP fresh installation with the saved phpbb database,.... I've tried almost everything I could think of. Still, it doesn't work. I might be doing something the wrong way. Yet I cannot afford to disapoint my forum members (almost 3000) by just moving them from phpbb to IP and asking them to register again, loosing their posts and messages, all the board settings that took long nights of work to achieve.
I would appreciate any kind of suggestions and/or support that will help me use the current phpbb database with IP board.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions and/or instructions you might come up with.

Cheers and keep up the great work U all are doing here.
You have my respect and recognition for what you have achieved.

wizzardSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Importing Phpbb Database Into IP Database 

Hi, have you tried this?
http://www.icyphoenix.com/docs/readme_english.html#upgrade_phpbb

Greets!

KasLimonSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

KasLimon wrote: [View Post]
Hi, have you tried this?
http://www.icyphoenix.com/docs/readme_english.html#upgrade_phpbb

Greets!

I did try. The result was a mess...

Back to topPage bottom

Do you have a backup?
Please restore it and try it again. After trying if it doesn't work link me to your page to see what's wrong.
If you don't have a backup
readme wrote: 
if you don't do a backup, don't dare to ask for support!

Greets!

Back to topPage bottom

Lucky me    I do have a backup of the old database. It would be stupid not to have one ...
OK ! I will give it another shot and see what goes.

Back to topPage bottom

Did you have standard phpBB or modded one?

If you upgrade properly the upgrade script should do its job fine.

Mighty GorgonSend private messageSend e-mail to userVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Mighty Gorgon wrote: [View Post]
Did you have standard phpBB or modded one?

If you upgrade properly the upgrade script should do its job fine.

It is a modded one (the Romanian version of the English one). In fact, to clarify the current situation, I did not really attempted to convert the real board (even tough I make regular backups on the forum), but rather testing it on a secondary board, installed just for learning the right and correct steps for upgrading it to IP.
Due to the work load at the office, I have spare time only at home, therefore little time to work on it, but, I'm trying.
As soon as I manage to perform the required supgrading steps, I will let you know the outcome. One question tough: Do I have to copy the update_to_ip.php (which is in install folder) into the root directory of the phpbb board and then laungh it from there? Or do I have to copy the whole IP filres into the root folder, move the update_to_ip.php to the root folder and then launch the upgrading process? Just to be sure that I've understood correctly.

Back to topPage bottom

Proceeded as instructed and here is what I got as listed errors:
Spoiler: [ Show ]

Edited by novice programmer, Tue 19 Feb, 2008 16:52: Added spoiler.
Back to topPage bottom

Please, use spoilers. Modifying...

novice programmerSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

These errors doesn't seem to be important. I guess you had FAP and Attachment mod already installed, isn't true?
Note to apply the specified CHMOD manually.

Greetings!

Back to topPage bottom

KasLimon wrote: [View Post]
These errors doesn't seem to be important. I guess you had FAP and Attachment mod already installed, isn't true?
Note to apply the specified CHMOD manually.

Greetings!

I finally managed to 'convert' the php database into another php database, this time under IP board. Fact is that I managed to import the users database with their passwords, and most of the topic and messages (or so MyAdmin said after importing the database), but also is a fact that this process also messed up the IP board layout and content. Practically all users are imported but I cannot acces the Forum main page, yet the Home  page looks good enough. Also I can acces the ACP but this also look more like the old phpbb than like the IP. What should I do?  All I need is to be able to save users and their access passwords as well as their messages. The rest I can redo once more if necessary.
For better understanding of how the things are, check for yourselves here: http://wizzard.phpnet.us

Back to topPage bottom

hmm    interesanting...but..
this is lot of work and who know if ever be ok...

isnt better and safeier just upgrade to ICY

LimunSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Limun wrote: [View Post]

This is exactly what I did, my friend... upgrading from phpbb 2.0.22 to IP version, only that when installing the upgrade of the IP on top of the old phpbb board I kept the php_ prefix too. I did try the regular ip_ prefix in the first attempts, but it didn't worked at all, getting loads of errors. This was the only solution of upgrade that seemed to work (to a certain degree)  

Back to topPage bottom

wizzard wrote: [View Post]

This is exactly what I did, my friend... upgrading from phpbb 2.0.22 to IP version, only that when installing the upgrade of the IP on top of the old phpbb board I kept the php_ prefix too. I did try the regular ip_ prefix in the first attempts, but it didn't worked at all, getting loads of errors. This was the only solution of upgrade that seemed to work (to a certain degree)  

can u restore your old phpbb and try again....
i m not expert ..but i upgraded sucesfuuly very important is that strict follow instructios of MG ...

ADD:very importan is if u haved only phpBB or phpBB XS

LimunSend private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

can u restore your old phpbb and try again....  i m not expert ..but i upgraded sucesfuuly very important is that strict follow instructios of MG ...
ADD:very importan is if u haved only phpBB or phpBB XS

Restoring it back to the old php board would not be a problem since I made backups  both of the forum as well as of the database. This is why I could make several attempts and try out several times as per MG's intructions. The link I've p[osted above is especially made for trying out the instructions and learning from my mistakes until getting it right so then, I can go back to my real board where to perform the upgrade "by the book" and without any faults.
So at this time I am willing to perform as many attemps and put into practice as many advices from you for as long as it takes until getting it done perfectly. One problem might be because the version of my old phpbb board is a localized one, in Romanian, and it has a number of premoded items implemented into it. This might be a reason why despite my previous atempts it doesn't work as expected.
I am open to any suggestions.

Back to topPage bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List