Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post A Few Quick Question...? 

for a first setup how would I get my members and posts to cross over to IP from my current site? do they have to re register?  will I lose all my posts? or is it basically be a whole new site?

Thanks---David.

DatsEvolutionSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: A Few Quick Question...? 

A Few Quick Question...?

That is NOT a question - Please be specific in the title what your question is all about.

And the rules around here are ONE question per thread NOT any more unless they are strictly related to each other.

And as for transferring your users and posts - you DON'T even say what software you are currently using. But as I know it's phpBB2 - I suggest that you spend some time here reading about how to do things, and that includes importing other forum databases BEFORE you ask too many questions; that already have been answered many times.

Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]
A Few Quick Question...?

That is NOT a question - Please be specific in the title what your question is all about.

And the rules around here are ONE question per thread NOT any more unless they are strictly related to each other.

And as for transferring your users and posts - you DON'T even say what software you are currently using. But as I know it's phpBB2 - I suggest that you spend some time here reading about how to do things, and that includes importing other forum databases BEFORE you ask too many questions; that already have been answered many times.

If you're already using phpBB, you can easily upgrade your board by following these instructions:

1. Make a full backup of all files and database (if you don't do a backup, don't dare to ask for support! Backup Rules!)
   2. Did you backup everything? If you didn't make the backup, please, step back to the previous point.
   3. Copy your current config.php and keep it in a safe place.
   4. Check again that your backup is ok and keep it in a safe place. Backup Rules!
   5. Login as administrator.
   6. Unpack Icy Phoenix package to one folder on your HD.
   7. Upload install folder to the root of your phpBB forum and launch database_update.php (i.e. http://www.mysite.com/phpbb/install/database_update.php).
   8. Delete install folder.
   9. Remove the following folders (make sure you don't have in those folders some files you may need for some mods you have installed in standard phpBB, but in any case you should have a backup Backup Rules!):
          * admin
          * db
          * includes
          * language
          * templates
  10. Remove all files (are you referring to folders as well??????) but config.php in your forum root (make sure you don't have some files you may need for some mods you have installed in standard phpBB, but in any case you should have a backup Backup Rules!).
  11. Upload all Icy Phoenix files (are you referring to folders as well??????) (all but config.php) in the same folder where phpBB was installed and running. Pay attention that all older files eventually still there must be replaced by new ones.
  12. Apply all permissions listed in Fresh Installation.
  13. Customize what needs to be customized in files and db (what do I need to customize??????) (some files needs to be edited manually, while most of the options may be set in ACP and CMS).
  14. Unlock your site.
  15. Enjoy your New Icy Phoenix Site Enjoy!.

if you could help me better understand this then I wouldn't have to ask...

Back to topPage bottom

Did it say "Folders" ?

The best thing you can do is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP of your FORUM AND DATABASE.

Do these steps:

1. Make a full backup of all files and database (if you don't do a backup, don't dare to ask for support! Backup Rules!)
   2. Did you backup everything? If you didn't make the backup, please, step back to the previous point.
   4. Check again that your backup is ok and keep it in a safe place. Backup Rules!
   7. Upload install folder to the root of your phpBB forum and launch database_update.php (i.e. h**p://***.mysite.com/phpbb/install/database_update.php).

upload all of Icy Phoenix to /myicy - yes! I'm serious about /myicy

In the config.php you saved find:

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

Change it to:

define('IP_INSTALLED', true);

Copy the edited config.php to /myicy/config.php

Rename the /myicy/install folder to something else

Rename your current forum to /oldforum

Rename /myicy to whatever your forum was called.

Then if anything is missing from your new forum that the database is looking for - Just copy it back from your old forum. Which may mean folders with pics etc. - And you can forget any MODS you may have installed, because they ain't going to work.

And David - - I assume that this upgrade will install Icy Phoenix 1.3.* without having to go through the pain of upgrading in steps from previous versions. Dunno! it's too hard to keep up with all of the changes made here recently.

Back to topPage bottom

Lopalong wrote: [View Post]
Did it say "Folders" ?

The best thing you can do is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP of your FORUM AND DATABASE.

Do these steps:

7. Upload install folder to the root of your phpBB forum and launch database_update.php (i.e. http://www.mysite.com/phpbb/install/database_update.php).

upload all of Icy Phoenix to /myicy - yes! I'm serious about /myicy

In the config.php you saved find:

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

Change it to:

define('IP_INSTALLED', true);

Copy the edited config.php to /myicy/config.php

Rename the /myicy/install folder to something else

Rename your current forum to /oldforum

Rename /myicy to whatever your forum was called.

Then if anything is missing from your new forum that the database is looking for - Just copy it back from your old forum. Which may mean folders with pics etc. - And you can forget any MODS you may have installed, because they ain't going to work.

And David - - I assume that this upgrade will install Icy Phoenix 1.3.* without having to go through the pain of upgrading in steps from previous versions. Dunno! it's too hard to keep up with all of the changes made here recently.

ok thanks for giving it a try but this is what i got..

Critical Error!
message_die() was called multiple times.
 Error #1

Line : 71
File : /home/landrser/public_html/oldforum/streetracerforum/ctracker/classes/class_ct_database.php
SQL : SELECT * FROM phpbb_ctracker_config
  Error #2
Error creating new session

Line : 243
File : /home/landrser/public_html/oldforum/streetracerforum/includes/sessions.php
SQL : INSERT INTO phpbb_sessions (session_id, session_user_id, session_start, session_time, session_ip, session_user_agent, session_page, session_logged_in, session_admin) VALUES ('f3585fd54e807ed504e7ca066150ba44', -1, 1256978624, 1256978624, 'ae01c7c3', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091016 Firefox/3.5.4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)', 'index.php', 0, 0)
  Please, contact the webmaster. Thank you.

Back to topPage bottom

But you shouldn't be going to "/oldforum" you should have re-named /myicy to what your old forum was called because that's where your url should now take you - to the "New" forum.

Just let me go back and read what was posted before.

Be back later.

With your urls and the lack of where you are actually up to is getting a little difficult. But try to understand this.

Icy Phoenix should end up with the same name as your old forum has, but you can't have two forums with the same name.

If you have modified the config.php for icy phoenix (Your New forum) it will use the same database that you are supposed to have upgraded for Icy Phoenix.

But you still have your "OLD" forum on-line, so that indicates that you have not upgraded the db for use with IP ?

Honestly, from your previous threads and posts, you are out of your depth here. So I suggest that if you are using Windows, you google for and download XAMPP - install it on your PC and learn how to handle server protocol, phpMyAdmin and all of the rest of the nasties without doing any damage.

PS: Please use the Reply button and stop quoting everything.  

Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List