Icy Phoenix

Page 1 of 1

Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Black Pearl PM Page Width Problem 

Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place, the theme the forum I'm attempting to fix links here so I presume the creator is here.

We installed a full width title banner to the forum but the PM page actually increases the forum width slightly. I've tried all manner of methods to try and decrease it but can't seem to get anything to stick, mainly attempting to get the textarea to decrease in size, though it doesn't seem to work whether I apply attributes through css or posting_body.html

Would really appreciate a fix for it.

Screeny, you can see the problem in the top right, where the forum width has increased and the title banner no longer sits flush.

h**p://i.imgur.com/ZwxMA.jpg

SkitrelSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom
Icy Phoenix is an open source project, you can show your appreciation and support future development by donating to the project.

Support us

Post Re: Black Pearl PM Page Width Problem 

Hi Skitrel welcome to IcyPhoenix,

Yes this is the creator's page (Mighty Gorgon) and yes you also posted in the wrong section because you are using phpbb and not IcyPhoenix, which is why I moved your question to the phpbb section

The page you send the screeny of doesn't really look like the PM page, it looks more like a normal reply page.

It also looks (when I visit your actual forum instead of looking at an image of it) like the normal indexpage has been changed in width (to the right)?

Can you confirm any of the above?

Now because I can't test without registering I'll have to ask instead of try ...does this only happen when you have this message in the box? or does it happen on an empty box too?

PS... I'l like to see the full page instead of just the top  

Greetings,
...Joshua203

Edited by Joshua203, Tue 03 Apr, 2012 18:58: added some text
Joshua203Send private messageVisit poster's website  
Back to topPage bottom

Joshua203 wrote: [View Post]
Hi Skitrel welcome to IcyPhoenix,

Yes this is the creator's page (Mighty Gorgon) and yes you also posted in the wrong section because you are using phpbb and not IcyPhoenix, which is why I moved your question to the phpbb section  

The page you send the screeny of doesn't really look like the PM page, it looks more like a normal reply page.

It also looks (when I visit your actual forum instead of looking at an image of it) like the normal indexpage has been changed in width (to the right)?

Can you confirm any of the above?

Now because I can't test without registering I'll have to ask instead of try ...does this only happen when you have this message in the box? or does it happen on an empty box too?

PS... I'l like to see the full page instead of just the top  

Greetings,
...Joshua203

Ack, my apologies. I took a look through the forums but still wasn't sure, put it down to unfamiliarity with what goes on here

You're right, that was in fact the wrong screenshot, the error there was caused by an oversized image breaking the forum width which I've since fixed, my bad! The effect is exactly the same though.

To answer the question, yes, blank box. New screeny: h**p://i.imgur.com/KUyJn.png

I can't confirm whether the normal index has been changed in width, if you think it has I'd assume that. I'm not certain what changes have been made in total, I'm not the only person that's been making changes, many have been made before I got here and got asked to fix some things as I'm a little more familiar with css and the like, though my experience extends to SMF and vbulletin which are fairly different to phpbb, so I'm still learning the ropes.

Back to topPage bottom

Skitrel wrote: [View Post]
You're right, that was in fact the wrong screenshot, the error there was caused by an oversized image breaking the forum width which I've since fixed, my bad! The effect is exactly the same though.

This is why I'm still asking myself.. "what's at the bottom of that page?"  

A test account would help more than a screeny of part of a page, because then i could view the source of a page I can't reach now (as a guest) and also the bottom of it

I would start taking a look at the header because the background pick you use is possibly wider than 960px.
And you did not delete:
Code: [Download] [Hide] [Select]
<td align="center" valign="middle"><h1></h1><span class="gen"></span></td>
<td align="right" valign="top">&nbsp;</td>

which has become obstolete because of the edits there! (might as well remove it completely)

My advice would be to do the header in a different way anyway, not use the background as a pic and at the foreground a clickable transparent pic overlaid ...unless there is a reason I don't understand  

I would shrink the actual header picture to 960px wide, move it from css to overall_header.html in the place where the transparent image is (and remove the code I mentioned earlier that is right below the clikable trans.

I hope sofar it all makes sense to you  

Back to topPage bottom

You're right, that would be a better way to do it. I understand completely and it's on my todo list. I just don't think that would really solve any problems.

Bottom of page: h**p://i.imgur.com/fZ8PD.png

What seems to cause the PM page to be much wider than the regular page is the "Send to" "options" and other things that appear to the left on PM pages, as you can see from this screen:

h**p://i.imgur.com/NKM9q.png

Now, you should probably understand why I was attempting to reduce the textarea size now, I feel like reducing a couple of the things that don't need to be so large would remove the breaking happening at the top no? Unfortunately for some reason I couldn't reduce the size of it doing anything I tried. Hence coming to some experts

Back to topPage bottom

It would solve the fact that the image that is now in the background is probably already pushing the default width of 960px (so the forum is already expanded to the right, as far as I can see)

Sure after that we would need to see what else is wrong, in the default PM page this is not happening as far as I know (not on empty blocks anyway!)

It could be a good idea to try and upload a clean file (if you don't have (m)any mods in it and see what happens then.
Or use WinMerge to compare a clean file to your file and spot the differences.

Sofar the smilie area looks awfull small too me and maybe also even the left (management) block.
So I think this has already been modded?
Keep in mind that not everyone uses your screen width and resolution (even a different browser can make it look different)

This is about all I can say on only a few screenshots and not being able to see a source really I think the page is modded (not just the header) (I see several places that make me think that) and that's what may be causing this.

Back to topPage bottom

If I make you an admin account do you fancy taking a quick look Josh? Would really appreciate it, I think I'm in over my head a little, not enough experience with phpbb

Back to topPage bottom

Let's not jump to that if it's not really needed... maybe later .. who knows?

For now a test USER account would be fine, so I can access the UCP and see at least part of source code, I don't  guarantee anything but at least I could see more this way, feel free to PM me the details  

I don't edit in ACP anyway  

EDIT: BTW I would also like to know what version of phpbb and what version of Black Pearl you are using, not that it matters much but it's good to know as much as possible

Back to topPage bottom

another BTW ..

The only way a default PM compose page would do what you describe is if a user would add a long list of recipients and/or use VEEEEEEEERYAWFULLLONGWORDSWHITHOUTSPACING in the message box ( longer than the width of the box ).
But this also happens in a default Subsilver2 , which Black Pearl is based upon ( and lots of other styles too I guess )
And if I remember correctly, in ProSilver ..same thing ( but I would have to revisit an old support thread or test it to make sure )

Meaning.. what I describe here would be a phpbb bug (or at least a default style bug)
Keep in mind that your situation is different, because it also happens to you on empty boxes!

Edited by Joshua203, Wed 04 Apr, 2012 20:33: edited to clarify the content
Back to topPage bottom

Well instead of creating a test user account you seem to have banned my ip  
That's an intresting move

Back to topPage bottom

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I have the same issue on the PM page when I am replying to someone. It gets out of alignment and stretches to the right.

posseSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

If you create a user account and PM the details along with a URL to your site, I'll have a look at the back-end markup and css and hopefully find out what's causing it?

I could do that locally, but that's not the same as addressing the problem where it's actually occurring.  

mortSend private message  
Back to topPage bottom

HideWas this topic useful?

Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML

Permissions List